Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Regional Discussion Thread Part 4

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

A interesting and balanced point of view. Hope this is of interest and vague hope to some of you.

http://matthugo.wordpress.com/2012/02/10/medium-longer-term-outlook-mid-late-feb-12/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Snow and slush puppy all gone. Beautiful blue skies here now. Think we may have a harsh frost tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

A interesting and balanced point of view. Hope this is of interest and vague hope to some of you.

http://matthugo.word...id-late-feb-12/

Interesting read Katie. Seems to have similarities with some of the "alternative" forecast outlooks.

Reading GP's take on things with the high pressure to the northeast moving/forming in the atlantic we could expect the cold to retrogress westwards bringing any lows dropping down from a northerly position into a more favourable position as per my previous post a few days back. Here's being optimistic B)

So Wednesday the 15th onwards.

Model synoptics still seem all over the shop so whatever we see are only trends and any serious early "false" computer analysis can throw the whole caboodle out.

Just been for a trudge at work. Interesting to note we still have 3cm's of the lying stuff on the wide open snow fields near the radar dish whereas at the edges of the hedgerow and notably at home in the garden the melt has taken hold and we have green grass due to local relative heat from tree roots etc.

Still can now catch up on some shut eye for a few days.

Keep em peeled. :)

Edit : The current GFS is having none of it with a flattened high. :D

Edited by flyer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Although further in the GFS run it starts to come good around 204 hours. 19th so a trend ? Fax charts are more favourable but as previous it all depends which charts you pick as no 2 are the same beyond a couple of days and before you know it we are all playing the same game and speculatively chasing outputs.

Edit Again : Just realised that my view only relates to snow lovers but as I haven't seen any warm mongers on this thread then no worries. :lol: :D

Edited by flyer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

After a snowy start to the day, the snow hasn't melted, only the roads have begun to clear, a few patches of snow on the smaller roads, but it is darn icy out there! 8cm here in Headington,Oxford. All snow on paths,grass, remaining snow on cars has frozen over, gonna be a cold night!

Currently -3.4c, Dewpoint -7.4c, Clear Skies, NE 4mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Will be nothing left here :( Had 1 inch and it's nearly all gone :( Booooo.

Did you get home to snow Beka? Was loads still around as I drove through Winchester on my way home :)

Posted

Bitterly cold out there already - 4.4C in the burbs on Thatchbury and I notice Benson is already down to -7C and Cranwell -8C. Can see some double digit minima coming up tonight especially where there is snow cover..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Mild next week.....moving into a new house.....yippee.bring on a long hot summer.been below freezing here for about 2weeks.in two days we did have a chance of snow....it rained.i give up

Posted

Very very cold tonight, in fact I think it qualifies as severe cold. The thermometer in my car said it was -12C on the way home from right on the Hants/Surrey border. Usually the thermometer measures 0.5 to 1c too high, so I would imagine that some record low temperatures will be recorded tonight. It is possible that in the south east we will have a low of -15C. ALTHOUGH IT DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK THIS WAY, I THINK THAT IT IS LIKELY THET WE WILL SEE VERY LOW MAXIMUMS TOMORROW OF -2C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yes very cold indeed tonight, -6.8c at the Met observatory here.

Posted

Was -10C at Farnborough at midnight. The temperature sensors on cars are extremely inaccurate in these conditions they often read much lower than the actual air temperature.

It's -1.5C here at the moment.

EDIT: Above posted as I was posting mine lol

Edited by SunnySouthCoast

Posted

Morning,

A chilly -9.2 at the moment, wouldn't want to be delivering milk or the papers this morning.. :o

Posted

Morning,

A chilly -9.2 at the moment, wouldn't want to be delivering milk or the papers this morning.. :o

ditto -9.2c here as well.

Beautiful morning and if the sun shines I can forsee a nice crisp woodland walk being on the cards today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

-12.2c here very cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

An Air Temperature of -9.7c recorded in my patch, being the coldest I've recorded since the purchase of my weather station. Nearby Thatcham Weather reported -10.5c which is one of their lowest readings in nearly ten years.

Holbeach appears to be the lowest at -16c, which I think is in Lincolnshire. Other places in our region recorded -12c or -13c and I assume we are set to achieve low temperatures once again but surely not as low.

Another ICE day for me looks probable and all this, happening in what can almost be termed a Spring month in recent years. Currently -7.7c at 1011GMT.

Brrrrrrrrr.

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Could be a SNOW to RAIN event overnight and throughout tomorrow. :unsure:

We would prefer it to be the other way around of course, but there you go. :wallbash: It is also possible that the weak fronts are more likely to effect the Southeast of the UK too. :good:

At least, its another event to keep our eye on and the following Fax Chart shows a warm front followed by a cold front, so who knows what might happen?

post-7183-0-83128700-1328957247_thumb.pn

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Exceptionally cold last night, reached -10.2c, the lowest temperature since I've lived in Reading I think.

Posted

Sounds like the first front is arriving earlier than previously indicated by my previous post. It does appear to be effecting the Southeast only at this stage and may well bring a horrible mix of freezing rain and snow. :nonono:

See the following warning by clicking on Sunday, courtesy of the MetO.

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

I'm not sure as to what has happened to the cold front, predicted for later in the day, maybe somebody could enlighten us. :good:

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Dropped to -3C last night, which is about as cold as it generally gets here :cold: My nearest Met Office recording station at Lee-On-The-Solent dropped to -4.9C, so it seems the coast escaped the serious cold last night.

Posted

Exceptionally cold last night, reached -10.2c, the lowest temperature since I've lived in Reading I think.

Yes, pretty sure it is. The coldest night here since at least 2002 (when I moved to Reading), and only 20/12/2010 came close.