Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Regional Discussion Thread Part 4

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Everywhere except the road now has a light covering in Freshwater and its still snowing at the same light rate and still below freezing. We get a better covering of roofs these days, everybody is that insulated the snow sticks quicker :)

Posted

Met Office forecast has just been updated and now shows it turning to sleet then rain after midnight here, as winds will swing round to a southerly direction and temperatures will rise :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

I really must go to sleep but this lamp post is addictive big ish flakes still and a bit heavier. Wish it was friday night so I didn't have work in the morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Met Office forecast has just been updated and now shows it turning to sleet then rain after midnight here, as winds will swing round to a southerly direction and temperatures will rise :(

Seems to be in between snow and sleet now :(

Posted
SB, you have to retune! Didn't you see all the reminders for, like, the last three months? :D
Oh is it today it goes off? right i'll get hubby on the case!

Posted

Still steadily coming down in north Hants. Probably 1.5cm now and also getting colder. It was -1C at 10pm and i am sure it is lower now. If this keeps going for another hour or so there will be more than we got last Saturday. The difference is that on Saturday it was melting for most of the time it was falling whereas tonight there is no melt at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Hi Luke, when the temps are marginal, that is, a bit above freezing, any shift of the wind to onshore can be enough to lift the temp so that you get rain rather than snow, whereas the reverse is true, which is what seems to be happening now with an E to NE drift. But with such a slack pressure field as we have, you can get local winds changes due to local geography say, or small scale features such as the LP that might be nearby, as I mentioned earlier. The observing network is not dense enough to pick up these small features very well, plus we don't have the benefit of visible satellite which can pick up cloud patterns/motions, and therefore windflow, that the IR can't.

However, the cold air is spreading back, undercutting the frontal zones which on its own would favour snow rather than rain.

Many thanks for the detailed response OMM. Snowing hard now, albeit very small flakes.

Posted
Do you mean permanently or just a temp glitch ?If permanently then you need to retune as we switched over to all digital signal Tx the other day.If temp glitch then have a trudge over the fields to Arqiva and ask at the gate. Snow permitting. :winky:

We have a pvr and hubby says we are digital anyway so it doesn't matter. He is looking up on the internet. Despite the fact there is a booklet on the table that came through the door months ago I left incase!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

To be honest that's what I thought it would be all along a southerly wind so seeing this snow is a bonus for me I don't fancy driving in it anyway as I'm a chicken when it comes to driving in snow lol

Posted

Shame its not laying on pavements or roads :(

laying on pavements here!!!!!??????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

We have a pvr and hubby says we are digital anyway so it doesn't matter. He is looking up on the internet. Despite the fact there is a booklet on the table that came through the door months ago I left incase!!

Digital frequencies have moved slightly even with existing digital channels so boxes need to be retuned. All analogue spectrum now freed up so up for grabs if you want to start a rival mobile phone network. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Yeah but he's a bloke hun & they don't tend to read manuals / leaflets - think that's genetically imprinted in them lol!

Light snow now falling here, sounds like musical ice particles, off to bed now though :-)

Edited by Purplepixii

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Ah finally he has conceded that the housewife is indeed right ;-) Scanning in progress ...

And what a fine housewife you must be. :air_kiss:

Still snowing here but far from an exceptional but good to see nonetheless.

There is a nice intensification of the snowband out west so let's hope Dorset does indeed join in with more of the fun.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Still just about snowing here in Maidenhead, but I think we're reaching the end now. Not quite as much as on Saturday, probably about an Inch here, but it has settled everywhere. Not a bad week really all in all. Shame I live within walking distance of work, otherwise I might have attempted a snow day tomorrow!

Posted

Down to 1.1C now. Still snowing light but steady - about 0.5 cm - very wet though.

Posted

Many thanks for the detailed response OMM. Snowing hard now, albeit very small flakes.

You're welcome Luke. Curious the Met are apparently talking about snow turning to rain, maybe there IS a LP coming south, which would bring about a change of wind direction to onshore, but only temporarily before the cold air comes back from the E.