Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Regional Discussion Thread Part 4

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Much bigger flakes, now, and yes the temp has reached -0.1C. Hopefully it will now start to lay on the roads and pavements :good:

Please don't let it warm up anymore.... :80:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

That's hardly fair! All PFC is doing is reporting on his lack of snow, as am I. And yes, I have a lamp post outside and there's sweet fa falling!

steady in the ranks now PP. Your time is coming and you will be kissing that lamppost. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Well looking at the radar we shud be getting something right now!? i dont get it?? Im staying up until midnight n if its not here by then im off to kip..depressed :help:

Its snowing in Freshwater and -1c, my Mrs has just driven over the downs from Yaverland to here and it snowed heavily enough for fast windscreen wipers by the Hare and Hounds, you must be South of the Downs I am guessing.

Posted

I wouldn't take much notice of that. This is an evolving situation, that won't be of any use. PC airmass definately pushing further west. mesoscale feature embedded in this, some places could get hammered. If I wasn't so concerned about jinxcing it I'd say that parts of Dorset are right in the firing line for a quite a dumping over the next few hours!

I agree, I don't think the BBCs forecast of earlier today was massively out. I'm certain that by morning Dorset will have more to show than Hants.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Flakes are getting bigger here although the rate its falling has slowed very slightly if you know what I mean! Cat is mesmerized on the window sill lol

Posted

On an unrelated note - anyone elses bbc channels broke on freeview down here?

Fine here, am watching 'Family Guy' :)

Posted

Hi OMM - what affects do you expect the wind shifts to have?

Hi Luke, when the temps are marginal, that is, a bit above freezing, any shift of the wind to onshore can be enough to lift the temp so that you get rain rather than snow, whereas the reverse is true, which is what seems to be happening now with an E to NE drift. But with such a slack pressure field as we have, you can get local winds changes due to local geography say, or small scale features such as the LP that might be nearby, as I mentioned earlier. The observing network is not dense enough to pick up these small features very well, plus we don't have the benefit of visible satellite which can pick up cloud patterns/motions, and therefore windflow, that the IR can't.

However, the cold air is spreading back, undercutting the frontal zones which on its own would favour snow rather than rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Shame its not laying on pavements or roads :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

The next hour or so should bring the heaviest snow to our region, judging by the wonderful NW v6 radar.

After this, I believe it will have a tendency to get lighter as the morning wears on. :good: So, in other words, for those that do not have lying snow, they should wish for heavier snow from midnight onwards.

The other area of precipitation out WEST, currently EAST of Hereford looks like it could hammer areas around Bristol, West Wiltshire and parts of East Somerset within the next few hours.

Be lucky all.

gottolovethisweather. reporting from Newbury, where its -0.8c AT, -1.6c DP and a level depth of lying snow of possibly 2cm. :clapping:

Posted

Over the next few hours a Easterly Breeze will pick up for us, dropping temperatures like a stone. Anything that hasn't laid such as melted snow will instantly freeze and snow will then begin to settle on all surfaces.

SM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

settling on the pavements now due to heavier snow. Wolud love this to last for a good few hours. I think an hour is about the most it will be tho.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Its snowing in Freshwater and -1c, my Mrs has just driven over the downs from Yaverland to here and it snowed heavily enough for fast windscreen wipers by the Hare and Hounds, you must be South of the Downs I am guessing.

Im Fairlee Newport, n its just started yippee!! bit heavier than earlier 2!! :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

hey all as much as i would love to stay up with you all and watch the lampost i am desperately tired n sleepy. snow is still falling in newbury but a think a wee break and then maybe a few more flakes.

i hope it is still around tomorrow morn. i note though that it is a little wet - roads clear easily after a car drives over.

good luck to you all and i hope you all get a fair share.

nite nitex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

SB, you have to retune! Didn't you see all the reminders for, like, the last three months? :D

Posted

Big flakes now steadily coming down & settling on the cars & roofs, not on the ground though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Do you mean permanently or just a temp glitch ?

If permanently then you need to retune as we switched over to all digital signal Tx the other day.

If temp glitch then have a trudge over the fields to Arqiva and ask at the gate. Snow permitting. :winky:

Edited by flyer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Thought Id join in - been snowing moderatly in Horndean for a while now & a thick dusting over everything now :)

Welcome aboard wally.

Please can you update your profile please to show your location. :good: