Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 8

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

All that is really happening is that a new thread will take its place, called Spring Discussion thread, as nothing make snow more likely than doing this, this is entirely my doing.

No decision has been made to the regional threads.

Spring isn't until 1st March, and there is a high chance of a retrogressing high towards Scandinavia at some point towards the end of the month. Do you think that is necessary?

hehee, I'm still too young for driving too ....

If your ever going to go up there ... watch out for a painful climbing of 300m in around 1.5 miles!

Quite a unique place though is Saddleworth Moor.

Sounds like my kind of place! Unless there are monsters up there? :p

Trust me it aint what it's cracked up to be. Insurance prices and fuel prices take the fun away very quickly, that and all the nutters you have to share the roads with lol.

Been quite busy this week, so not had chance to come on here much. From what I gather, snow chances are from tomorrow night onwards?

Worth it though if you are adventurous like I am! Nutters haha.

Snow chances from Sat tea time onward yep.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

LOLLLLL at Eno..........on Sunday temperatures will be half of what we had today...........LOL

Even a basic grasp of meteorology would be refreshing.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

The 18z is also not giving us any decent snow chances. A dry north/northwesterly for the most part.

North Wales the place to be!

Karyo

Posted

LOLLLLL at Eno..........on Sunday temperatures will be half of what we had today...........LOL

Had to laugh myself at that. Did you notice the temp drop by 9c in 2 hours tomorrow night, 17.00 - 8c then -1c at 19.00. Was that just a switch from max temps to min temps or is she really that bad? Or was I seeing things lol

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome

I bit of a clearer story on Granada weather tonight.

NW England, rather unusually, seems to be the most favoured region for snow outside of Scotland/NI.

Snow showers (no real sign of prongoled snow) affects the western parts of the NW increasingly in the afternoon, gradually extending to East and most areas of the NW by the evening. Very pleasing! Disagrees with BBC weather tonight. Anyway ... most of the NW looking likely to have a nice sweet little full day of snow on Sunday ... beautiful.

Perhaps the only possible negatives are the temperatures ... at the moment it does look as though they will be just about cold enough for snow but there could be some rain and sleet instead of snow for some.

(Saturday starts with rain for all).

Edited by hedgehog4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Hopefully snow will miss me, as it will only be a couple of CM.

Posted

Looks like between a slight dusting - 5cm for most anyway.

I like snow depths like that though ... not too mad but not rubbish

Posted

I'll just tell it to veer south as it passes over me then :p

5cm never looks any different to 1 foot though to me. Of course the effects to traffic are different.

Edited by Martin M

Posted

What I just don't want is patchy coverings where the whole area is just a mixture of green and white!

Although the moors look very pleasing for a certain covering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The 18z is also not giving us any decent snow chances. A dry north/northwesterly for the most part.

North Wales the place to be!

Karyo

Indeed......... /sarcasm.

post-8895-0-96221500-1329519537_thumb.pn

You're a bigger moaner than I am. Look at the FAX charts for an idea of where the precipitation is gonna fall.

FYI - even the NMM will struggle with this one, as it'll be convective precip.

Posted

Found them!

England diary of highlights

With high pressure influencing the weather for most of the month, it was much warmer, drier and sunnier than normal. The mean temperature was 4.0 °C above the 1971–2000 average and it was the warmest April in the series from 1910, being 0.6 °C warmer than April 2007 (now ranked second). In central England, it was the warmest April for over 350 years. The daily maximum temperatures in particular were well above normal, by as much as 6 °C in the south-east. Rainfall was below normal in all areas — exceptionally so over much of southern, central and eastern England where less than 10% of normal rainfall was recorded. It was the second successive very dry month in these areas. Many places in the eastern half of England recorded less than 1 mm of rain. Provisionally, it was the 6th driest April in the series from 1910 and in East Anglia only April 2007 was drier. Sunshine amounts were generally around 150% of normal, making it the sunniest April in the series from 1929.

1st to 5th

A mild southerly flow was replaced by a cooler westerly one on 2nd as a cold front moved eastwards. Overnight into 2nd, thundery rain spread northwards into the south-west and later into northern areas. As the cloud cleared it become warm in East Anglia with a high of 20.3 °C at Writtle (Essex). More heavy showers followed on 3rd with thunder, except in the south-east where it remained dry. A cold night followed with –0.2 °C at Topcliffe (North Yorkshire). A very wet day in Cumbria on 5th, with 102 mm recorded at Seathwaite (Cumbria) between midnight on 4th and midday on 5th.

6th to 11th

After further heavy rain overnight into 6th, high pressure brought a period of dry, sunny weather with light winds and above normal temperatures. There were some mild nights, with a minimum of 13.4 °C at Boulmer (Northumberland) early on 6th. The sunshine in the south helped the temperature rise to 23.6 °C at St James’s Park (London) on 6th. It was very warm for April for much of this period with temperatures rising above 20 °C each day. Another weak front produced some patchy rain in northern areas on 11th but elsewhere it stayed dry and warm, with 21.5 °C at Shoeburyness (Essex).

12th to 16th

Becoming less settled with some outbreaks of showery rain, chiefly in the north and west. A cold night into 12th saw an air frost in parts of the Midlands. Some showers spread into eastern coasts during the day with the best of the sunshine in the south-west. Daytime temperatures were close to normal. Another local frost on the morning of 13th with –0.1 °C at Benson (Oxfordshire). The day became cloudy with some patchy rain. Although some parts started misty on 14th and 15th, the cloud soon broke but with a few light showers. On 16th a few showers again broke out across East Anglia but most parts stayed dry with a high of 19.1 °C at Astwood Bank (Worcestershire).

17th to 24th

Pressure then built again, with a warm, south-easterly air flow. It was dry with sunshine on 17th after early mist and fog cleared and it became warm again with 21.1 °C at Wisley (Surrey). The 18th was another generally sunny, warm day with 19.9 °C at Blackpool (Lancashire). A chilly start to 19th with –0.7 °C at Exeter airport (Devon) but then further sunny, very warm weather with temperatures reaching 25 °C in the London area. Some sea fog affected North Sea coasts on 20th and 21st but temperatures again reached 24 to 25 °C in the south-east. Some fog and frost in the north-east early on 22nd with –0.4 °C at Redesdale Camp (Northumberland). Showers and thunderstorms then affected the south-west but it was very warm and sunny in the south-east with 26.9 °C at St James’s Park. The heat peaked on 23rd with 27.8 °C at Wisley (Surrey), making it the warmest April day since 1949. The high temperatures sparked off heavy showers and thunderstorms with some locally torrential downpours; Santon Downham (Norfolk) reported 19.8 mm in one hour. The 24th stayed fine, with 25.3 °C at Solent (Hampshire).

25th to 26th

A cold front across northern areas weakened as it moved southwards, bringing some cloud and rain. The 25th was another very warm day in the south with 24.0 °C at Solent but sea fog affected the coast of East Anglia. Outbreaks of rain moved southwards on 26th into southern England with everywhere becoming cooler.

27th to 30th

Another generally dry spell with an easterly flow becoming established. A few showers developed along eastern then southern coasts and isolated thunderstorms affected the south Midlands on 29th, but otherwise it was generally dry with some sunshine. Although most parts were again dry and sunny on 30th, a line of thunderstorms broke out through central Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Dorset.

Its polite to the original author to quote the source of this info.....

Posted

Its polite to the original author to quote the source of this info.....

Looks like it was taken from the Met Office's monthly reviews

Posted

Just been out to open up the chickens, strong gusty wind and now very heavy rain falling, looking at the colours on the raintoday radar it's going to get worse, seems to be travelling in more of a westerly direction at the moment, would be nice if this was snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A very wet and windy period this morning which woke me around 6.30 but passed fairly quickly. Temp down to 4.2c behind the front so not especially low yet but the colder air will be filtering down later today and it looks like things could turn pretty icy later. Not expecting much snowfall, perhaps a few showers later on which could be wintry.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Wind and lashing down here with temp starting to drop - was 8.9 an hour ago now 8.3. I like it :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Temp is actually rising here, 5.1c now and it's not a bad morning with clearing skies and sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Crikey 6.3 now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Think i'm in a good place for showers today, I usually do well from a NWly. Heavy rain here as the cold front passes. Temp dropped from 9.2c at 7 AM to 5.7c now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

The weather is clearing here now, I could see sunny skies at the north-west horizon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Is there anything on the radar for late afternoon and what exactly do the met office mean southern counties? Just Cheshire, south lancs? Very confused

looking that way,but cannot see much here TBH Lol

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

The BBC graphics are dire for everyone in the NW