Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Autumn Weather Discussion

J10

Posted

Snow here in the mountains not much though not enough precip

Posted

Still snowing heavily here. I went for a walk earlier and above about 300m the snow was above my boots and blowing around a lot. Will try to post a couple of pics.

Temp: 1.0c

post-10216-0-71588700-1333535471_thumb.j

post-10216-0-28965500-1333535503_thumb.j

post-10216-0-69597100-1333535518_thumb.j

post-10216-0-87758200-1333535536_thumb.j

Posted

pulses of sleet moving through with large flakes of snow in the heavier ones plus very windy at times

nice pics nwales

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Full snow now, if still quite wet. Really blowing around in the wind.

Posted

Some farmers hadnt bothered to bring in the lambs...had to pick some out of a drift they seem to get stuck in :(

Atrocious conditions for April above 1000 feet (305m) in Rhufoniog (cantref : conwy/denbighsire border)

4-5 inches @200m

5-6inches @250m ish

At 300 -360m (tried to reach 420m summit but failed hah) on flat ground it was between 6-8 inches

Its the Drifting thats the worse thing in the strong winds

While the main roads are passable and back roads below 1100 feet seemed slushy......above this height there was iced snow (freezing level?)

Many drifts onto higher roads, as high as the 3-4 ft hedges they pour from...one point i was walking as high as them LOL!

Saw some fairly big drifts of between 8-10ft I would guess, almost blocking roads.

I tried to reach the near 420m hill summit but a blizzard hit and i was plastered with an inch of snow so i gave up and retreated at about 360m i reckon.....god knows how deep it is up on the Berwyns above 500m lol likea different world to my increasingly slushy abode at 210m

Met office said

Little, if any, snow is expected to accumulate on roads and pavements below 200m.

but 3 inches of snow at 140m :D

Still snowing heavily, wet socks when i slipped into a slush pool!

Edited by Penderyn

Posted

Has snowed here all day but isn't settling down in the valley here (save for the odd slushy "drift" bit). At points the snow/cloud has lifted enough for me to see that it is settling above about 250m, but doesn't look that much. Might be more higher up, will see tomorrow morning I guess.

Temp has now reached a mighty 2.0c, the max today so far. If that does end up being the max it's a pretty low one for April.

Posted

Still throwing it down with snow here... The road is clear but it's still building up on most surfaces.

Max temp so far: 1.4c

Current: 1.1c

god knows how deep it is up on the Berwyns

Must be crazy depths up there by now, it just hasn't let up for over 12 hours

Posted

Nice pics NWales

A bad blizzard just hit here now....power is flickering, had no internet all morning so hope it doesnt go again!

The snow is just at an almost sheer 90 degree angle...big juicy flakes....this is great weather for building drifts (though snow not dry enough to blow really) on exposed ridges if anyone wants to risks photographing them :p

Edit: 1000 ft asl/ 300m ish....seems yet again to be magic mark where snow is sticking to most surfaces....struggling to resettle below to be honest

Edited by Penderyn

Posted

I thought todays snow was winter last hoorah but from the 11th of April on looks pretty cold with more chances of snow .

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had a high of 6C today, been cloudy most of the day with some breif rain but thats all, been quite windy too and feeling cold in the wind!

Posted

I thought todays snow was winter last hoorah but from the 11th of April on looks pretty cold with more chances of snow .

The long term weather reports I have gives another cold intrusion on the 11th-13th. Watch this space.......

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yes some typical April showers weather with the risk of slight frosts next week, certainly no snow coming up though.

Very cold last night, min -6c, and at Sennybridge.

Posted

First heavy rain here in over a month, Always difficult to get totals accurate, but looking at radar and further rain expected, 10-30mm looks likely for most of Wales, NE with less.

Posted

Over 20mm back home today (I am staying in the more drizzly Midlands). Parts of north Wales showing over 56mm on the Netweather accumulator! Lots more to come this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

We have had 19.8mm of rain here, which is welcomed! Bringing this years total to 213.9mm so far! There is a bit of a chill in the air with temps at 9.3C and at times a moderate breeze.

Posted

Looks like Wales is absorbing most of the precipitation and leaving some areas of the Midlands bone dry (again), we haven't had a drop in over an hour and it was light rain at best, do you guys think you could spare a drop or two? :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

21mm of rain has fallen here on the Northern slopes of North West Snowdonia, not that much, seen worse but plenty of water due to today's rainfall and snow melt from last week. Rain slowly getting lighter here now.

First heavy rain here in over a month, Always difficult to get totals accurate, but looking at radar and further rain expected, 10-30mm looks likely for most of Wales, NE with less.

As per other replies, some areas have seen over 2 inches of rain, including SW Valleys, but quite widely 15-25mm has fallen.

It has not been torrential at any time, but persistent moderate to heavy drizzly type of rain.

according to weatheronline

Capel Curig (215 m) 25.0 mm

Trawscoed (62 m) 24.0 mm

Sennybridge (307 m) 21.0 mm

are the 24 hr rainfall totals to noon today, clearly these will rise, by the next update at 6pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

First torrential downpour has arrived mixed with hail but no thunder. Can hear some over-flowing gutters.

Posted

Its been abolutely soaking here in caernarfon today! I think the totals for snowdonia will be in excess of the amounts recorded on here.