Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Southwest And Central Southern England - Regional Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Just had 5 minutes of the most intense rainfall I've seen in a long time. Had hail mixed in and one clap of thunder heard. Seems to be passing on now though ohmy.png

Edit: currently stood outside enjoying some fab thunder & lightning, hurrah!!

Edited by Purplepixii

Posted

Cool! Can see a line of beautiful CBs to the South and the radar shows a long line running W-E through Dorset, South Wilts and Hampshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I can see a lot of cumilonimbus clouds to the South but are a long way away and there are blue skies to the North-West.

I don't think we will get anything today.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

I believe serious flooding at Yetminster closed the railway line.

Yes, it did, but it's open again now. Similar happened at Axminster on the Exeter/Salisbury line. That is also open again, but with slow running. On the other hand, the A35 is still closed at Winterbourne Abbas and, as of now, no idea when it will reopen.

Mostly dry here so far, just one heavy but short lived thundery shower shortly before midday. Pleasantly warm in the sunshine.

Posted

BBC Points West showed footage of flash flooding in the Shepton Mallet area this morning as the line of heavy showers moved through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Here we go again!

Posted

I'm wondering how cold it would be in winter under this set up!

Only 14.9c at 13.30 after a bright, hazily sunny morning while up on the SW moors it's only just in double figures at Dunkeswell and Liscombe!

Posted

It's currently only 12.8C here with persistent moderate rain. Last July and August had a couple notably cold days for the time of year with maxima of around 14C, I wonder if today could be even lower?

Of course I missed the really interesting amounts of rainfall last week when probably about 70mm fell in 24 hours, but when I return it's just to the most miserable type possible that's not heavy enough to be that interesting.

Last night was the coolest of the month down to 6.5C with clear skies.

Not exactly summer like temps to say the least.

Posted

Just watching the live feed of the Torch going along the A35 and into Bridport...absolutely piddling down!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Somewhere in our region will see a thunderstorm tomorrow, that I am confident off.............. But where????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

13.4mm of rain here so far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Somewhere in our region will see a thunderstorm tomorrow, that I am confident off.............. But where????

Well it turned out that there were none.

Not that I am suprised mind you.sleep.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Well as usual FI has signs of a better time weather wise for the south. Will it come off this time? And what's the betting the AHP will be firmly in place in time for winter this year!! Imagine if this set up had been in January!! The snow we would of got. Wow!

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Cloudy and dull here this morning.Last week of school.I wonder how any events will be rained off?

Posted

Oh this is sad news:

Two Die As Car Buried For Week In Landslide

Two people are believed to have died when their car was buried for over a week following a landslide in Dorset. The man and the woman, who are thought to be pensioners and have not been named, were reported missing from the Avon and Somerset area by their concerned families. Police used credit card records to trace the pair's movements to the Beaminster area of Dorset on July 7, which coincided with heavy rain and a landslide that closed the Beaminster Tunnel.

Fire service workers found a car in the tunnel, near Dorchester, Dorset, on Monday night after excavations of mud and debris. An Avon and Somerset Police spokesman said: "Police searching for two people missing from Somerset have recovered a vehicle in Dorset. "Inquiries into the missing man and woman suggested they were in the Beaminster area on July 7 and Dorset Police were requested to check the area of Beaminster tunnel.

edward-lawrence-pic-1-1-522x293.jpg

"Dorset Police have found a car under a large volume of earth and mud. "At this time it is too early to speculate about the outcome but families have been informed and are being supported by family liaison officers." In a joint statement, Dorset Police and Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said the road had been closed and a cordon put in place while emergency service staff attempt to excavate the car.

The A3066 road has been closed at the tunnel since the heavy flooding on July 6 and July 7. It caused a landslide on the hill above the tunnel that fell on to the road and also caused some structural damage to the tunnel.

http://news.sky.com/story/961306/two-die-as-car-buried-for-week-in-landslide

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Just seen that too, Coast. Quite shocking as well.

Posted

Horrific!!

It was a road tunnel....Why wasn't the landslip checked for buried vehicles?

Posted

Oh dear that's sad and quite shocking. Also I can't help but think why didn't they check at the time? surely if there's a significant landslide onto a road, especially an 'A' road as the article says it was the A3066, then there's every chance a car was driving along it at the time..

Edit I see I was beaten to that suggestion.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hello fellow lurkers.

On a more pleasant topic, I will say no more than just have a gander at the attached link and charts. clapping.gif

http://www.netweathe...ryid=1167;sess=

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

post-7183-0-12393000-1342541193_thumb.gi

post-7183-0-00754000-1342541195_thumb.gi

post-7183-0-86971200-1342541196_thumb.gi

post-7183-0-33107000-1342541198_thumb.gi

post-7183-0-95093500-1342541199_thumb.gi

post-7183-0-08703700-1342541222_thumb.gi

post-7183-0-95435700-1342541222_thumb.gi

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Horrific!!

It was a road tunnel....Why wasn't the landslip checked for buried vehicles?

Oh dear that's sad and quite shocking. Also I can't help but think why didn't they check at the time? surely if there's a significant landslide onto a road, especially an 'A' road as the article says it was the A3066, then there's every chance a car was driving along it at the time..

Edit I see I was beaten to that suggestion.

I think it's just been said on the news that heat seeking equipment was used at the time but nothing was picked up. Despite that I am very surprised that

the mud etc wasn't cleared sooner,

Posted

Huge pressures on the Dorset highways team at the moment as they try and get other repairs done and traffic moving frely. LOCOG will doubtless be demanding that priority be given to the routes leading from London to Weymouth for the Sailing Olympics and I suspect it was apparent that there was no point making a start on the tunnel until structural assessments had been completed on the tunnel itself. Brickwork could be seen to have been torn away.

The engineers will also have been needing to checked hundreds of old bridge structures to ensure they had not been damaged by the recent floodwaters. In truth this is probably all down to just one or two civil engineers as the Local Authority workforce has been drastically scaled down over recent years .

That said it clearly is tragic, almost unbelievable, that a car can be totally concealed below what appears not to have been a huge volume of spoil. The odds against being in exactly that spot at that instant must be enormous . One has to feel not only for the families but also for the poor workers who unearthed the car. Grim would be an understatement.

Edited by egret

Posted

Well a few settled days to come over the weekend. I'm just hoping that the 31st is dry. We have Olympic sailing tickets in Weymouth and I don't fancy getting soaked!!

Posted

I wont throw a bucket of water over you as you pass by then! (apparently thats what the sailing fraternity like, while they chuck tenners away in bundles).

Have you got tickets for the Nothe? If so it should be a really good place to watch from, albeit that (according to the Echo tonight) there appears to be some fuss over parking and other arrangements.

Posted

I wont throw a bucket of water over you as you pass by then! (apparently thats what the sailing fraternity like, while they chuck tenners away in bundles).

Have you got tickets for the Nothe? If so it should be a really good place to watch from, albeit that (according to the Echo tonight) there appears to be some fuss over parking and other arrangements.

I won't wear a white top then!!! Lol.

Yep have tix for the nothe. Parking is sorted as we are taking my mum who needs a wheelchair and have pre booked disabled parking. That's the one thing the the Olympics have done right! They have been very good for disabled access.

Here's hoping for a dry day. Don't mind not warm but definitely want dry!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

afternoon all,

defiantly not wall to wall sunshine today, a lot of cloud about, temps holding at 29.2c and feeling muggy.

fromey