IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 7

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Even the emissions from your towers look pretty crap today Raddy

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

Its typical. There's a huge gap over the central midlands with big showers going north and south of us, with nothing coming in from the west here. Pretty dissapointed.

With Telford being bang centre in the gap

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

One of these days Telford is just going to get EVERYTHING!!! :acute::rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Just had a hail shower pass over.......the partially melted hail within it really yielded a convincing period of what looked like snow falling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

At 1.30 we had a torrential hail storm which gave a rumble of Thunder! :D :D :D

Posted

on a brighter side the Telford/ Rugeley gap looks like being filled with the cells which are heading this way over from Ireland

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

Le sigh, a disappointing day today. Nothing can get past the Pennines. If the showers are coming from the same direction tomorrow and Thursday I won't even get any rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Had one or two odd light(ish) showers, though hoping that small intense shower about 30/40 miles to the West will reach here. You can do it shower. :p

Posted

on a brighter side the Telford/ Rugeley gap looks like being filled with the cells which look like their heading this way from Ireland

They will fizzle out long before they get here

Edited by Ian Ballinger

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

stuck in the middle of no-mans land here, dry since mid morning.....but things look much better for the north west midlands tomorrow as steering winds are much more favourable (turn to north west which should enhance the cheshire gap effect, so IMHO, areas to the south of Brum should have a relatively dry day, areas to the north, more shower/storm potential

Posted

stuck in the middle of no-mans land here, dry since mid morning.....but things look much better for the north west midlands tomorrow as steering winds are much more favourable (turn to north west which should enhance the cheshire gap effect, so IMHO, areas to the south of Brum should have a relatively dry day, areas to the north, more shower/storm potential

Would you say that more north eastern areas may get more of a chance as well? I have to say I'm pleased that there'll be a change in wind direction, since every single shower today has been eaten by the Pennines.

Posted

That shower from the West reached here, but only delivered a few spots of light rain. What a weakling. It needs to try harder next time. :cray: :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Is part of Stourbridge and Halesowen the first in the Midlands to have some Thunder this year? :D :D :D

Tomorrow looks very good on the GFS 12z now and lots of showers about. Thursday is looking less good now though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Very disappointing here so far today. No showers at all until around 1400 and then just one or two brief light ones. In fact, looking at the NW radar, the shower activity seems to be much less widespread and active than forecast this morning.

I bet that tomorrow, because I've managed to get a day off and I'm going out on my bike, there'll be several heavy deluges with hail mixed in.

Posted

Not too sure about that AJ. The Irish Sea will have little effect on the generating of showers tomorrow as the temperature differential (sea temps and upper air temps) is not large enough (sea temps near their coldest right now). Places within 30 miles of the N/W coast might not see anything tomorrow (as per GFS afternoon precip charts which show a large dry sector around NW England). Yourself and other locations may do well however as you're far enough inland for shower development to initiate in the unstable flow.

Posted

shock horror no showers here and its cloudy and dry, we might as well be under a bartlett which isn't in a good enough position for sun but good enough to kill of the showers by the time they get to us and just leaves a legacy of cloud

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted

Great looking storms to the south of the Malverns - showing some heavy pulses - possible thunder from this but its tracking east south east.

Posted

Should send that over to me. Or better than that, over to the showerless land of Telford. ;-)

But nice looking shower, nonetheless, with its mushroom shaped anvil. :)

Posted

Interesting to note all the main action in the East as per usual even though most of the showers were out West.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Not too sure about that AJ. The Irish Sea will have little effect on the generating of showers tomorrow as the temperature differential (sea temps and upper air temps) is not large enough (sea temps near their coldest right now). Places within 30 miles of the N/W coast might not see anything tomorrow (as per GFS afternoon precip charts which show a large dry sector around NW England). Yourself and other locations may do well however as you're far enough inland for shower development to initiate in the unstable flow.

I wasn't referring to the temp differential, more the steering winds & earlier NMM surface wind charts which were showing low level convergences through the cheshire gap...The 12z run has put the kibosh on that though for my neck of the woods

Posted

I wasn't referring to the temp differential, more the steering winds & earlier NMM surface wind charts which were showing low level convergences through the cheshire gap...The 12z run has put the kibosh on that though for my neck of the woods

Aaaahhhhh OK I'm with you. What's the NMM showing for tomorrow now then?

Posted

Aaaahhhhh OK I'm with you. What's the NMM showing for tomorrow now then?

not a lot IMO.....a few showers early on, then fairly benign by the looks of things.....energy shifts east & south eastwards during the day....the main action looks to be near east anglia, without looking into specifics, the basic parameters are there for that region, plenty of bouyancy, some surface CAPE, and nice converging surface winds.....not saying that this will be how it pans out of course, just based on NMM output

Posted

Some photogenic clouds around today...and heading for a cracking sunset which may have a positive effect on the fizzlproof Irish imports that are still heading into the area.... arriving for a bit of noctilucent cooling....maybe

Edited by Arnie Pie