Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Warm/hot Spell Discussion 22nd May Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Roll on the weekend when I can enjoy it properly! Despite the sun pouring into the office (and directly on me) I doubt I'll be tanning until Saturday & Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

Ive got a reading of 27.6c here near Lichfield. I am quite low lying compared with other areas around me.

Its probably a slightly higher reading due to my garden microclimate although the sensor is positioned on a shaded bird table next to the pond and lawn.

The Coleshill official met office station is a strange one reading 23.7c. However, it is quite exposed and on a considerable hill, personally i dont think its a very good location for the met office to position one of their stations, given the general low-lying topographic characteristics of the east Birmingham area.

The Coleshill reading is bull IMO because after nearly 10 years of weather interest it feels to me that its at least 25c around here if not higher (and my judgement taking into account high humidity).

Edited by Paceyboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Temperature back up above 26C at 26.4C, with a dew point of 19.7C and humidity of 69%.. muggy, or what?

Also posted on TWO, a Met Climate Station in Cromdale has broken 28C

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

27'C in Altnaharra - I'd imagine that some areas around Achnashellach down towards Drumnadrochit must be scorching at the moment. A cool 25'C in Western Inverness.

You're making me jealous now, NR...25C here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Stunning weather here in Central Cardiff, not a cloud in the sky and temperature of 23C.current.jpg?1337787345

Posted

Altnaharra now at 26.9C, 26.2C at Glasgow Bishopton. The house is surprsingly cool which is great and there are quite a few clouds in the sky but the sun is shining.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Falling fast here, the breeze has become quite strong. Down to 19.4C after a high of just over 21C. Rubbish, it should be the East getting the sea breeze, not us!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Falling fast here, the breeze has become quite strong. Down to 19.4C after a high of just over 21C. Rubbish, it should be the East getting the sea breeze, not us!

He East coast and places close to the coast are cooler than you are - Redcar in Cleveland at 14C for example

Posted

He East coast and places close to the coast are cooler than you are - Redcar in Cleveland at 14C for example

Yessss, but we should be much warmer than this, it was only yesterday the GFS said the winds would swing NE by dinner time, but they are persistently WNW/NW.

We should be hitting 24/25C when the winds turn East.

Posted

A high of 25.3oC at 4:37pm here in St.Albans! humidity is 70%... VERY muggy and sticky, been moving, tiding and working in the garden all day and have drank gallons of water! I still think it could get even higher because it went down to 24.9oC and has started rising again now to 25.1oC! I stupidly walked home from the town centre (around a mile) with no shoes on because my flip flops was rubbing and have burnt the soles of my feet considerably! at that was at 11am this morning! The forecast is for a even higher 26/27oC here tomorrow possibly a 28oC according to the met office!

Posted

I think most areas reached their maximum temperatures between 5 and 6pm. A maximum of 26C was reached here, currently 24C and very pleasant to go outside. Some cirrus clouds and patchy small light clouds over Glasgow though to the SE and East towards Lanarkshire there seems to be thin, light sheet of cloud cover that breaks up as it moves NWrds. That must be to do with the wind moving over the North Sea, with the clouds breaking up over the dry air and land. I think this is one of the reasons why the east coast has been cooler. The evening heat is different from that in the afternoon, air temperature is warmer but the lower height of the sun allowing it to feel nice quite as roasting as 2pm. I expect the temperature to drop off later, still feeling warm into the late evening but allowing a nice cool night and morning before things warm up again. In London where the temperature is 26C, it'll be interesting to see how the temperature behaves tonight.

Posted

Ive got a reading of 27.6c here near Lichfield. I am quite low lying compared with other areas around me.

Its probably a slightly higher reading due to my garden microclimate although the sensor is positioned on a shaded bird table next to the pond and lawn.

The Coleshill official met office station is a strange one reading 23.7c. However, it is quite exposed and on a considerable hill, personally i dont think its a very good location for the met office to position one of their stations, given the general low-lying topographic characteristics of the east Birmingham area.

The Coleshill reading is bull IMO because after nearly 10 years of weather interest it feels to me that its at least 25c around here if not higher (and my judgement taking into account high humidity).

So the Met Office site is bull and your bird table thermometer is right. You're really saying that aren't you? LOL. Carry on.

Posted

Yessss, but we should be much warmer than this, it was only yesterday the GFS said the winds would swing NE by dinner time, but they are persistently WNW/NW.

We should be hitting 24/25C when the winds turn East.

Yes, after days of being forecast a sheltered easterly (a favoured setup here in summer) we somehow end up with annoying northwesterlies. How the hell did that happen? Not only that but there's been a west coast haar today, something I can't recall ever seeing before. I escaped it a few miles inland, but the breeze has ruined what would have been a fine summer's day.

I'm not impressed!

Posted

Yes, after days of being forecast a sheltered easterly (a favoured setup here in summer) we somehow end up with annoying northwesterlies. How the hell did that happen? Not only that but there's been a west coast haar today, something I can't recall ever seeing before. I escaped it a few miles inland, but the breeze has ruined what would have been a fine summer's day.

I'm not impressed!

No I'm not at all impressed by today either.

It was cloudy until almost 11am, then it cleared to leave a strong breeze which took the edge right off the temperatures. I looked over to Liverpool to see a huge bank of low cloud and sea mist, so I escaped the worse of it. We did hit 22C here today again, but that could of easily been 5 degrees higher should the wind of veered East.

I don't think we will see as much of a Westerly element to the wind tomorrow, so we SHOULD be hitting around the 25C mark with any luck.

As to how it annoyingly happened today, I have no idea, but no matter what, the East & South seem to get better weather we do, even in the winter.

I was embarrassed today to say that the Scottish highlands (which were caped in snow last week) beat us by almost 6C today!!

That same breeze is making it feel cold out there now, we're down to 14.5C with a strong breeze from the west. God, I hate the Irish Sea....

Posted

A bit warmer again today reaching 23.1C as the top air temp. It has cooled down surprisingly quickly though with a NW breeze taking the temp down to 12.4C already despite crossing about 50 miles of land (was 22/23C with a slight southerly sea breeze during the day with the sea a few miles away)

Feels pretty refreshing in a way.

For the NW areas near the coast I'd expect there to probably be sea breeze development again tomorrow, with any easterly gradient looking too light. This is supported by the temp and wind forecasts on the MetO site. Friday looks like a completely different story though ( easterly breeze with widespread 25/26C forecast right to the coast with no sea breeze development)

Posted

A sea breeze I can take - they usually only pick up in the afternoon, often with a temperature rebound in the evening and they don't penetrate as far inland.

It's this general persistent northwesterly wind I can't stand. It had better sod off pronto.

Posted

Reached a maximum of 28C here today, by contrast the 'Solent' Met Office station reached just 20C as it had a westerly wind blowing straight off the sea. A few miles east of Portsmouth 'Thorney Island' Met Office station recorded 26C, as like here winds stayed NW'ly.

Funnily enough it is still 20C here at 11:30pm, the same as the days max just a few miles west!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The Met Office keeps upgrading these temperatures. Friday now expected to reach 26/27c here. The Weekend could now reach 24/25c which was predicted just 20c the other day or so! :D Looks like this warmth will stay for at least another 5-7 days. :D Happy days. :D

Posted

The Met Office keeps upgrading these temperatures. Friday now expected to reach 26/27c here. The Weekend could now reach 24/25c which was predicted just 20c the other day or so! biggrin.png Looks like this warmth will stay for at least another 5-7 days. biggrin.png Happy days. biggrin.png

All week they have been upgrading the temperatures... They just said on BBC news that it is very possible to hit 30oC somewhere and is likely to hit 29oC in london! I never thought, at the beggining of the week, that this week would get THIS HOT! :D I love it :)

Posted

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

Highlights clearly the cloud being slowly eroded from the east as the sun gets to work.

Shouldn't be long until even the western coasts see some sunshine.

Should be warmer today in the west too, as we have lost that annoying sea breeze (winds being too light to give an effect away from the immediate coastline). That, and the models indicate that the flow will have more of a NNE element to it later on today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

No I'm not at all impressed by today either.

It was cloudy until almost 11am, then it cleared to leave a strong breeze which took the edge right off the temperatures. I looked over to Liverpool to see a huge bank of low cloud and sea mist, so I escaped the worse of it. We did hit 22C here today again, but that could of easily been 5 degrees higher should the wind of veered East.

I don't think we will see as much of a Westerly element to the wind tomorrow, so we SHOULD be hitting around the 25C mark with any luck.

As to how it annoyingly happened today, I have no idea, but no matter what, the East & South seem to get better weather we do, even in the winter.

I was embarrassed today to say that the Scottish highlands (which were caped in snow last week) beat us by almost 6C today!!

That same breeze is making it feel cold out there now, we're down to 14.5C with a strong breeze from the west. God, I hate the Irish Sea....

the last bit, you certainly were not saying that on 5th Jan 2010, but I generally dont like it as it brings constant showers off a NW wind from Nov-Mar

Posted

A sea breeze I can take - they usually only pick up in the afternoon, often with a temperature rebound in the evening and they don't penetrate as far inland.

It's this general persistent northwesterly wind I can't stand. It had better sod off pronto.

Yeah, we just got a sea breeze yesterday with limited effect. We even had that NW wind here in the evening as in my previous post, dropping the temp far more than any sea breeze did so it was just 12/13C by sunset.

A random suggestion, I wonder if the island of warmth in the relatively cold sea that is the UK landmass during the day can create a kind of 'heat low' over the UK if the conditions are right that isn't picked up on very well by models but is enough to cause more of a flow off the sea into the land occasionally. I remember one or two occasions when something like that has happened.

Early fog/low cloud now cleared here with it 16.9C and rising nicely.