Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - May 2012 Part 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I love days like tomorrow. If everything sets up like this then it will be brilliant. I like it when it's nice a hot, clear blue skies and then you get a few afternoon fair-weather puffy clouds which grow and grow into a developing storm. You can smell that acrid/sultry mess in the air and the feeling of the atmosphere self imploding...after that, the storms drift off leaving the last part of the day dry and still warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I agree i am fed up now of London and the south east having all the storms i don't know what has happened in this neck of the woods but its pretty poor! Hopefully we in the west mids and wrexham get to see a storm come the end of the week there is potential on Wednesday i hear?!

I spent the last two summers in the capital, myself. And in all that time I only witnessed handful of storms...

Posted

Couple of faxes looking at tomorrow and Wedneday.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack0.gif

Nice looking chart for tomorrow, particularly as mentioned towards the East.bg_lightning.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack2.gif

Much better for Wednesday for many areas but again highlights the most risk for the East. .bg_lightning.gif

Posted

I agree i am fed up now of London and the south east having all the storms i don't know what has happened in this neck of the woods but its pretty poor! Hopefully we in the west mids and wrexham get to see a storm come the end of the week there is potential on Wednesday i hear?!

London and the south east having all the storms?? Don't make me laugh, the last few years have been awful down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Storms have been very localised. My friend in Hampstead (or near Hampstead) has only seen a few distant lightning bolts and thunder rumbles, and hasn't had a storm at all yet parts of London have had plenty. London's a big place.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Last year it was the North East that got most of the storms but looks like this year is back to normal. The SE is traditionally supposed to the area in the country that gets most storms. I agree though that so far this year it has been a bit unfairly distributed, but mother nature is not known for her fairness.

As for tomorrow. Could someone with the knowledge advise if we are talking an isolated small risk as has been the case over the last few days or are tomorrow's storms a greater risk. If I chase I would be heading for somewhere between probably Leicester and Milton Keynes but its a long way for me to go just for a "bust".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

After seeing clouds bubble up fairly quickly early afternoon around Bristol, I did think something was going to happen, but in the end, the skies started to clear again as the afternoon drew to a close. Lovely, warm and clear blue skies out there this evening. Really has been a brilliant weekend and glad I could finally make the most of it rather than sitting in work through the heat.

Tomorrow..as others have said look better for regions in the East/SE.

Wednesday looks better for more widespread thundery showers further west as well, but it looks like it will be a radar and sky watching day to see where things starting kicking off. Looking at the forecast wind directions on the GFS, I have a feeling if storms do develop, it may be a case of western/SW regions giving birth to the storms for those further east/NE really. I could be wrong though?

http://cdn.nwstatic....2/75/ukwind.png

Anyway I really hope I do see something before the heat dissipates back to temperatures that are something more average, but still decent!

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

After seeing clouds bubble up fairly quickly early afternoon around Bristol, I did think something was going to happen, but in the end, the skies started to clear again as the afternoon drew to a close. Lovely, warm and clear blue skies out there this evening. Really has been a brilliant weekend and glad I could finally make the most of it rather than sitting in work through the heat.

Tomorrow..as others have said look better for regions in the East/SE.

Wednesday looks better for more widespread thundery showers further west as well, but it looks like it will be a radar and sky watching day to see where things starting kicking off. Looking at the forecast wind directions on the GFS, I have a feeling if storms do develop, it may be a case of western/SW regions giving birth to the storms for those further east/NE really. I could be wrong though?

http://cdn.nwstatic....2/75/ukwind.png

Anyway I really hope I do see something before the heat dissipates back to temperatures that are something more average.

Average temperatures are around 20C around this time of year anyway. So far this week I have only seen really high haze and nothing else.

Posted

Storms have been very localised. My friend in Hampstead (or near Hampstead) has only seen a few distant lightning bolts and thunder rumbles, and hasn't had a storm at all yet parts of London have had plenty. London's a big place.

Many a report of bolts,bangs and rumbles over on the Heath(Hamstead),not always weather related though.drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Heavy shower just popped up SE / E of aberystwyth

Oddly, I can see some fairly large towers to me west

The rate at that shower is growing in West wales. It gotta have a sferic sooner or later

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

on meto radar smile.png . can anyone confirm rain/storms below isle of wight pls. or is it a anoprop

Most likely the latter.

Posted

on meto radar smile.png . can anyone confirm rain/storms below isle of wight pls. or is it a anoprop

been like it for a while.

deffo anaprop

Posted

This to me seems like an oddly shaped echo..

Thoughts...

post-182-0-65713600-1338151291_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

This to me seems like an oddly shaped echo..

Thoughts...

Looks normal to me :)

Posted

Thats probably a anaprop off the Isle of Wight, cause all I can see from here is just some high level cloud. Cooled down quite a fair bit in the last hour, now 15.2c

Edited by SnowMania

Posted

Looks normal to me smile.png

Yeah.

Goddamnit we need a decent doppler system here to get rain direction

Posted

So, how severe would you expect these thunderstorms to be (apologies I'm a bit of an amateur with this sort of thing!)

Looking at the synoptic charts, am I right in thinking that occlusion in the middle of the week, meeting the hot air from the east, looks perfect for severe thunderstorm potential? On the same sort of scale as last June during Wimbledon?

Posted

Yeah.

Goddamnit we need a decent doppler system here to get rain direction

Why don't we have that radar system in this country? Is it too expensive?

Posted

South East? Ha! I should be so lucky...no decent storm here for four years now! Gone are the days where we'd have a sultry, hot afternoon followed by distant rumblings heralding the arrival of a vicious French import :(

Posted

Why don't we have that radar system in this country? Is it too expensive?

Im not sure TBH.

I think it is quite expensive but im fairly sure that isnt the issue..

From what Ive heard, i think its due to the ranging on it and it would require a lot of base stations in the UK to work well ( We have a very hilly country )

Maybe there are a couple.. Ive never seen any "free" data at least.. Then again ive never seen any doppler images in the news either.