Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Discussion - June 7th 2012>

Coast

Posted

coast is the s/e in for another deluge from that lot leaving france

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Glad I live on a slope, otherwise this event might of been more of a problem, but Brighton's terrain and no rivers nearby means that flooding very rarely occurs here, for those of you with flooding issues, hope the rain eases soon.

Posted

To top it all someone vandalised roof of husband's convertible and so that's letting water in too

The swines, bring back the birch for stuff like that!!! good.gif

coast is the s/e in for another deluge from that lot leaving france

I'm really not sure, just can't get my head around the direction of flow and positioning as the low drags stuff in. You need to follow the radar for another hour or so and see how it interacts as it comes into line with us.

http://www.netweathe...ion=radar;sess=

Posted

The stuff in France won't get to the SE - we'll be in a W/SWW flow with low centre to our SSE as shown by all the precipitation output by all the numeric models. The stuff in France will travel SEE, and we will get our weather from, effectively the N Sea (Belgium, Holland etc)

The main band of rain centred over S Hampshire will gradually fade away and will shift west, leaving heavy, thundery showers creeping in from the East. Kent, particularly N Kent looks like bearing the brunt at the moment, however, radar and model updates might well change this.

post-5986-0-38694100-1339428967_thumb.gi

Edited by Boar Wrinklestorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Today hasn't been a good day to be a courier! Living. In n Kent I'm glad I'm up on a hill and away from the marshes near me.

Is it going to be persistent or in bursts this evening and overnight?

The latest NAE shows another inch or so it come in the affected areas but the worst should be over now.

12061218_1112.gif

Flood waters might continue rising for a while yet though.

Some places have had close to 2 months rain in a few hours, what a summer.

The stuff in France won't get to the SE - we'll be in a W/SWW flow with low centre to our SSE as shown by all the precipitation output by all the numeric models. The stuff in France will travel SEE, and we will get our weather from, effectively the N Sea (Belgium, Holland etc)

The main band of rain centred over S Hampshire will gradually fade away and will shift west, leaving heavy, thundery showers creeping in from the East. Kent, particularly N Kent looks like bearing the brunt at the moment, however, radar and model updates might well change this.

post-5986-0-38694100-1339428967_thumb.gi

I am not going with the models on this as you said this might change...The GFS is starting to hint at the rain coming in..But check this out...

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/radar/europe.html

As you said the low is predicted to move south(ish) I think this is going to pull it more acorss the south...

Posted

I am not going with the models on this as you said this might change...

I mean the detail not the overall synposis. Rain isn't suddenly going to veer 90 degree and travel 500 miles where it isn't supposed to be within 6 hours of a forecast. if it does, there's something seriously wrong!

As you said the low is predicted to move south(ish) I think this is going to pull it more acorss the south...

If that were the case it would pull the rain into the channel, and I'd get a chance to use my telescope tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Crikey! I cannot imagine how terrifying it must be to see water pouring into your house. All your precious belongings ruined. :(

We've been quite lucky in Ipswich in that it's just constant drizzle. Could change I guess.

Take care all you people getting all the bad stuff. Stay safe.

I mean the detail not the overall synposis. Rain isn't suddenly going to veer 90 degree and travel 500 miles where it isn't supposed to be within 6 hours of a forecast. if it does, there's something seriously wrong!

If that were the case it would pull the rain into the channel, and I'd get a chance to use my telescope tonight.

Who knows eh? Watch out! :)

Yep, this is the flow for tonight,

post-5986-0-08996300-1339430416_thumb.pn

Effectively, if you want to know what's coming look East!

Yep..And that does not look good :S This is going to be a nowcast thing tonight..And this lot could be thundery I have heard..

I might set up my own charity for victims of extreme weather in the UK as I just became director of a new company (aged only 18) and the chairman of the company use to have a charity but never took of so I thought I could take over...

Posted

Hopefully the heavy showers will traverse N Kent - leaving the victims in W Sussex and Hampshire alone. That's the current forecast. And N Kent (the North Downs) is hilly, too, so the runoff should go (mainly) into rivers, but with a close eye on places like Yalding.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a MetO warning about 9pm tonight regarding Kent/S Essex/E London

Posted

Got caught in a huge downpour about an hour ago between Maidstone & Canterbury. Could barely see out of the windscreen, loads of surface water and flooding to the verges. Glad I'm home now as looks as if more is due.

Hopefully the heavy showers will traverse N Kent - leaving the victims in W Sussex and Hampshire alone. That's the current forecast. And N Kent (the North Downs) is hilly, too, so the runoff should go (mainly) into rivers, but with a close eye on places like Yalding.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a MetO warning about 9pm tonight regarding Kent/S Essex/E London

I think you may be right..

Posted

Flooding incidents attended by West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service:

Published on Monday 11 June 2012 14:32

THESE are all the incidents attended in our area:

Sunday, June 10, 8.33pm to 10.20pm:

Winchelsea Gardens, Worthing – flooding at end of cul-de-sac to a depth of 20cm threatening houses. Salvage undertaken by fire service and incident left with council’s road agency

Sunday, June 10, 10.19pm to 11.47pm:

Block of flats, Gardener Road, Fishersgate – weather-related flooding affecting five flats. Water pumped by fire service, water drain cleared, salvage undertaken and electrics isolated

Sunday, June 10, 10.40pm to 00.06am:

Bernard Road, Worthing – floodwater in road entering six houses. Salvage undertaken

Sunday, June 10, 11.20pm to 03.34am:

Worthing Hospital, Lyndhurst Road, Worthing – flooding approx one metre of affecting basement and lift shaft. Water pumped and salvage undertaken

Sunday, June 10, 11.20pm to 03.34am:

South Terrace, Littlehampton seafront – number of basement flats have been flooded to a depth of up to four feet. A temporary rest centre has been set up in the Sportsdome at Littlehampton Swimming Centre for people evacuated

Monday, June 11, 3.29am to 5.13am:

Henfield Road, Small Dole – two houses affected by floodwater, water pumped and salvage carried out

Monday, June 11, 3.29am to 5.13am:

London Road, Ashington – Flooding, water pumped byfire service

Monday, June 11, 7.36am to 11.17am:

Joinery workshop, The Pike, Washington – severe flooding to workshop pumped by fire service

Monday, June 11, 8.24am to 9.59am:

Basement Flat, Clifton Road, Littlehampton – one1 foot of water in flat, gas and electrics isolated

Monday, June 11, 8.37am to 11.20am:

Flat, Beach Road, Littlehampton – flooded basement of flat pumped by fire service

Monday, June 11, 8.42am to 9.51am:

House, St Catherines Road, Littlehampton – flood water in house

Monday, June 11, 9.23am to 11.21am:

Flats, New Road, Littlehampton – flood water pumped from basement

http://www.shorehamh...rvice-1-3937906

In Littlehampton, West Sussex, holidaymakers and residents were forced to flee seafront homes after they found themselves 4ft deep in sewage. Twenty-six properties, including bed and breakfast accommodation, were flooded in the coastal town, causing hundreds of thousands of pounds damage, as drains in the street overflowed.

Margaret Greene, who lives in Littlehampton, said that she "heard running water...water was just gushing in and within seconds it came into the bedroom." She added: "All I've got is literally what I'm standing up in at the moment, a pair of flip-flops and a soggy coat."

http://www.telegraph...soggy-coat.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Nothing but rain and dull clouds. No thunder just rain. eh!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Did the Drive from Bromley-South Essex, took about 2 hours (usually can do in about 35 mins) - rain wasn't the issue, it was the Spray, and silly people driving too fast in it. Definitely less rainfall here in Corringham than in South London, but it's been consistently drizzling all day. All eyes on the east for tonight - our house is on the bottom of the a slope surrounded by marshland... :( - we're prepared though, from a previous wet episode there's a 1.5ft trench dug all round the conservatory. Hopefully it won't come to being used, but that radar keeps throwing surprises hour on hour..

Stay safe everyone, and thoughts with the guys that have been seriously affected :/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Well it's still really coming down out there,hope it stops soon for all those poor people that have had damage to their properties .

Posted

The low in-situ was forecasted to be across the Midlands/North right about now, thankfully it's looking like the nudge back westwards out into the Channel is beginning to happen. Family down near Chichester reported the same issues regarding high-tide back-blocking the excess rainfall rates and it was a close shave for them.

The saving grace for the south is that a lot of the underlying rock is predominantly chalk that doesn't absorb the water as much, and helps in draining out the tributaries unlike 'oop norf' where the rainwater can remain laden in peat/moss for days at a time. Hopefully after this we'll get a decent enough respite as it seems nowhere is escaping these floodings at the minute.

Posted

Hi all

Been presenting a seminar all day today. Have I missed much?

Seriously, I hope all of you who have been affected by this extraordinary weather manage to get things straight as soon as possible.

AS

Guest QuantumSnow

Flooding incidents attended by West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service:

http://www.shorehamh...rvice-1-3937906

http://www.telegraph...soggy-coat.html

Yep, that one you highlighted was me :winky:

Just finally got back online via mobile, sadly our house was totally flooded in the end (we are not in a flood zone). We have feet of water still sat in our yard, a large area really and its not subsiding. It started coming in through the windows and up through the floor so there was nothing we could do, no fire brigade were free at the time as they'd left an hour before. A few inches still in the house but luckily managed to pick the important stuff up, but lost a room full of belongings due to it being lower down.

I'll post pics/vids tomorrow as we have no electricity currently, so no WiFi!

Anyway, its only material stuff, the dogs etc are fine and that's all that matters really. I did crack open a bottle of beer or two and try to see the funny side :lol:

Take care you lot :)