Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Discussion - June 7th 2012>

Coast

The low in-situ was forecasted to be across the Midlands/North right about now, thankfully it's looking like the nudge back westwards out into the Channel is beginning to happen. Family down near Chichester reported the same issues regarding high-tide back-blocking the excess rainfall rates and it was a close shave for them.

The saving grace for the south is that a lot of the underlying rock is predominantly chalk that doesn't absorb the water as much, and helps in draining out the tributaries unlike 'oop norf' where the rainwater can remain laden in peat/moss for days at a time. Hopefully after this we'll get a decent enough respite as it seems nowhere is escaping these floodings at the minute.

I couldn't agree more..But there's another monster on the horizon :(

12061512_1112.gif

12061512_1112.gif

Posted

I couldn't agree more..But there's another monster on the horizon sad.png

12061512_1112.gif

12061512_1112.gif

yep the met office us all ready giving out a heads up about it

Posted

http://europa.buienradar.nl/gmap.aspx?soort=loop3uur&zoom=7&lat=50.4888&lon=4.4192

looking east i still think the east/se are in for another very wet night with what over holland if it get sucked up by the low

Posted

That band from The Netherlands seems to be breaking up on its way across the North Sea. Not feeling confident of anything other than a few more hours of cold drizzle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

http://www.isleofwig..._storm_data.htm

iow radar picking up storms close to s/e in the north sea

Aye, Chelmsford looks like it might be in the firing-line...

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Looks like it's suddenly pepped-up again on the 20:30 radar image. Nicely positioned for NE Essex too. Hopefully we'll get a good storm and then it fades-out before it reaches flood risk areas.

Posted

Yep, that one you highlighted was me wink.png

Just finally got back online via mobile, sadly our house was totally flooded in the end (we are not in a flood zone). We have feet of water still sat in our yard, a large area really and its not subsiding. It started coming in through the windows and up through the floor so there was nothing we could do, no fire brigade were free at the time as they'd left an hour before. A few inches still in the house but luckily managed to pick the important stuff up, but lost a room full of belongings due to it being lower down.

I'll post pics/vids tomorrow as we have no electricity currently, so no WiFi!

Anyway, its only material stuff, the dogs etc are fine and that's all that matters really. I did crack open a bottle of beer or two and try to see the funny side laugh.png

Take care you lot smile.png

sorry to hear that QS sad.png

at least you saved the beer though!drinks.gif

http://www.metoffice...ather/uk/radar/

Looks like it's suddenly pepped-up again on the 20:30 radar image. Nicely positioned for NE Essex too. Hopefully we'll get a good storm and then it fades-out before it reaches flood risk areas.

Im not sure..It looks like it all is..Its really pouring down here..Where is the umf for this coming from???

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ change in Wind direction..Again..

Guest QuantumSnow

sorry to hear that QS sad.png

at least you saved the beer though!drinks.gif

Thanks bobbydog. I have to get my priorities in order.. People & animals, then beer, then belongings laugh.png

Posted

at the moment the radar saying their a monsoon near bognor regis

Well we certainly did have that monsoon. Son-in-law had to drive his mother to hospital in Portsmouth for cancer treatment. He got there OK but was stranded trying to get back into Bognor as every road into Bognor was closed because of flooding. One very nice man with a 4X4 stopped and gave him and his mother a lift through the floods and even drove her to her doorstep. there are some really kind people around. He however had to wade back to collect his car as he couldn't leave it in case the water rose higher and flooded it. Every road into Bognor is currently flooded and impassable in a normal car. Brother a bus driver, he said as he drove carefully through the floods the water was seeping in the doors and running along the floor with all the old ladies squeeking in fright! Now we can't get out by train either as the train station at Barnham is flooded so no trains from Bognor.

Hey ho, it's summertime, I think!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Well we certainly did have that monsoon. Son-in-law had to drive his mother to hospital in Portsmouth for cancer treatment. He got there OK but was stranded trying to get back into Bognor as every road into Bognor was closed because of flooding. One very nice man with a 4X4 stopped and gave him and his mother a lift through the floods and even drove her to her doorstep. there are some really kind people around. He however had to wade back to collect his car as he couldn't leave it in case the water rose higher and flooded it. Every road into Bognor is currently flooded and impassable in a normal car. Brother a bus driver, he said as he drove carefully through the floods the water was seeping in the doors and running along the floor with all the old ladies squeeking in fright! Now we can't get out by train either as the train station at Barnham is flooded so no trains from Bognor.

Hey ho, it's summertime, I think!

Hey CF pleased you are ok. Yep parents had a problem getting out of chichester on train to fishbourne and the drains all backed up. A27 on the chichester observer websire looks severe. My brother has a wee house in Bognor town centre. I take it is ok in the centre..I see though the river at bersted is on Warning now.,..check out the environment website. hope you ok? PB x

Thanks bobbydog. I have to get my priorities in order.. People & animals, then beer, then belongings laugh.png

Pleased you are ok QS and the animals very sorry to hear about the house though..keep in touch if you can and hope you get some nice rest tonight of sorts :)

Posted

Hey CF pleased you are ok. Yep parents had a problem getting out of chichester on train to fishbourne and the drains all backed up. A27 on the chichester observer websire looks severe. My brother has a wee house in Bognor town centre. I take it is ok in the centre..I see though the river at bersted is on Warning now.,..check out the environment website. hope you ok? PB x

Hi Polar Bear, Bognor town center is mainly OK, I had to go there to health centre with son to get a medical report as he is off sick and has to go to Portsmouth for a benefits medical tomorrow. Health Centre was just about to close because of flooding when we got there. Not sure if we will be able to travel to Portsmouth or not tomorrow. Hopefully the flooding will go down a bit at barnham so the trains will stop there and we can get our connection. Not much chance by road I don't think although some buses are getting through in some places. The road at the end of my road has flooding in peoples houses. I felt so very sorry for this elderly ledy standing calf deep in water inside her house. She said she had rung the fire brigade but they told her they already had 100 other people ahead of her and as her life wasn't at rish she has to wait her turn. When I passed on the way back the neighbours were throwing all her soggy carpets and spoiled furnishing outside her front door for her. I did feel bad for her! All the severe flooding in Felpham is very close to me and the Aldingbourne Rife runs about 200yards from my house. Not flooded yet and fortunately we are on slightly elevated ground so I don't think my house will flood nut some bungalows close to it will almost certainly.

Posted

Hi Polar Bear, Bognor town center is mainly OK, I had to go there to health centre with son to get a medical report as he is off sick and has to go to Portsmouth for a benefits medical tomorrow. Health Centre was just about to close because of flooding when we got there. Not sure if we will be able to travel to Portsmouth or not tomorrow. Hopefully the flooding will go down a bit at barnham so the trains will stop there and we can get our connection. Not much chance by road I don't think although some buses are getting through in some places. The road at the end of my road has flooding in peoples houses. I felt so very sorry for this elderly ledy standing calf deep in water inside her house. She said she had rung the fire brigade but they told her they already had 100 other people ahead of her and as her life wasn't at rish she has to wait her turn. When I passed on the way back the neighbours were throwing all her soggy carpets and spoiled furnishing outside her front door for her. I did feel bad for her! All the severe flooding in Felpham is very close to me and the Aldingbourne Rife runs about 200yards from my house. Not flooded yet and fortunately we are on slightly elevated ground so I don't think my house will flood nut some bungalows close to it will almost certainly.

Hey CF quite a day then for you? Hope too the flooding will go down for you tomorrow and you will get to Portsmouth but I know there were severe delays yesterdy and were rammed. A27 will be closed still and so I suspect most will seek the train. Poor elderly lady that breaks my heart. Hmm yes seen all the photos and it looks awful. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and good you are on slightly elevated ground. The river is only on Warning and it isnt severe so lets hope heh. hope you are signed up to the EA phone alert system?> If you arent suggest you do . very useful I found when living in Oxford when we nearly flooded. Look after yourself CF xx

Posted

Pouring with rain here still....it eased off a bit for a few hours early this evening but hasn't stopped all day.

The roads around here were suffering badly this afternoon and tonights rain isn't going to make travel easy tomorrow morning. This is the A33, between Basingstoke and Reading.

post-1808-0-00627100-1339450199_thumb.jp

Edited by Kiwi

Posted

Hey CF quite a day then for you? Hope too the flooding will go down for you tomorrow and you will get to Portsmouth but I know there were severe delays yesterdy and were rammed. A27 will be closed still and so I suspect most will seek the train. Poor elderly lady that breaks my heart. Hmm yes seen all the photos and it looks awful. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and good you are on slightly elevated ground. The river is only on Warning and it isnt severe so lets hope heh. hope you are signed up to the EA phone alert system?> If you arent suggest you do . very useful I found when living in Oxford when we nearly flooded. Look after yourself CF xx

Yes we were signed up to the phone alert system. I got a letter 2 weeks ago saying as our house was unlikely to flood we were being removed from the flood alert system!!! Do I laugh or cry? Not really necesary though as I can look out of my window, across the Felpham recreation ground (currently flooded by a couple of inches) and see if the river is overtopping the banks. Mind you, with the surface water on the cricket pitch it is hard to see anyway. Had to wear wellies to get through a few inches of flooding to get to shops. As you say, quite a day but I think my house is safe although I have a plastic trug in the garden that is full with 6 inches of water and was dry 20 hours ago. I think the rainfall was around 4 inches though as the trug has sloping sides so wider at the top.

Thanks for your concern though Polar Bear.

Edited by coldfingers

Guest QuantumSnow

Pleased you are ok QS and the animals very sorry to hear about the house though..keep in touch if you can and hope you get some nice rest tonight of sorts smile.png

Thank you so much PB smile.png

Posted

Still raining, and despite it not being as bad as it has been further south, I make that over 24 hours of continuous rainfall in one form or another here. Very surprising and unexpected.

Posted

Absolutely peeing it down here in Dulwich now - been going since 430 yesterday avo - talk about a deluge! wonder what the local totals have been around London.

Posted

keep that letter then CF ;) .. have just checked rainfall radar and seems you should be getting a little respite for a bit...i think.....unless someone else on the forum thinks otherwise?