Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 15th June 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Is anoyne else having issues with ATD lightning detector? Mine hasnt updated since 15:20

Same here, still stuck at 15:20. Hope it starts working again soon.

Got another fairly heavy shower here now, but again doesn't seem thundery.

After this I've already got my eye on the next one currently over Birmingham, but again it doesn't look too exciting yet.

Meanwhile another big shower is heading towards County Durham and Tyneside, hopefully that will hold its intensity until it reaches the highly populated areas up there.

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted

cells are trying to fire to the SW of Chichester & to the west of Eastbourne

Come to Daddy!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Pretty disappointing here today as well.Plenty of potent showers that have flooded the main road,but no Thunder,Lightning or Hail.Some pretty gusty winds are making these showers merge into longer spells of rain!!

Posted

Indeed, just continuous moderate rain in Cleadon- about as pitiful a Met Office thunder-day (one distant rumble) as it gets really!

The rainfall has got more "convective" around here i.e larger rain drops and with the sun breaking through earlier, the clouds looked more the showery type. Have to admit though, it just looks a grey and cool but in fairness the rain band cleared much more quickly than I thought so you never know, we may still get a bit of interesting weather this evening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

With Pelaw being further inland you probably haven't had as much low cloud as here- I'm sure the clouds producing the rain are predominantly convective but I can hardly see them through the low cloud.

It's possible that the wind direction may change this evening which would make conditions more favourable for the more potent showery and thundery activity reaching us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Yes, persestent rain here now, is that the storm chance over? Still feels warm and humid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Looks that way. Why couldn't the more organised mess have stayed out west? Full cloud cover and light rain here.

the more organized ppn is moving out of your area soon.....

....I don't want to tempt fate, but the current radar (especially with that ppn massing over south Wales) and synoptic setup has striking similarities to May 9th last year, and for us in the West Midlands (especially here in Penkridge) this is a date which will stay long in our memories as it produced an well organized, absolute beast of a thunderstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

....I don't want to tempt fate, but the current radar (especially with that ppn massing over south Wales) and synoptic setup has striking similarities to May 9th last year, and for us in the West Midlands (especially here in Penkridge) this is a date which will stay long in our memories as it produced an well organized, absolute beast of a thunderstorm

Remember that well. That was the last time there was a storm here. Lovely storms pushed up through the West Midlands and into NW England. Saying that, May 9th was a Monday and I wouldn't have been in work on that day, yet I remember being at work when those storms happened so I must be thinking of a different day in May!

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

well done aj *clapclapclap* just gone and cursed it for us you ****, haha only joking, but yeah fingers crosse!

Posted

With Pelaw being further inland you probably haven't had as much low cloud as here- I'm sure the clouds producing the rain are predominantly convective but I can hardly see them through the low cloud.

It's possible that the wind direction may change this evening which would make conditions more favourable for the more potent showery and thundery activity reaching us.

I'm not too sure, It does appear to me low cloud has cleared here as the sun did broke through earlier and I can see brighter skies towards the West and more or less above me so hopefully if anything thundery comes along, I will hopefully see it.

It would appear we lost the easterly flow we had this morning so all eyes to the South and West I guess.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The persistent rain of the past 24 hours cleared 1500, it actually brightened up, but this has set off very heavy convective showers in the past 20 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

afternoon all, after a brief shower at 830am nothing else here, not a dicky bird, just very windy.

fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Today is a perfect example of the East bagging all whilst the West brews the Thunder. :( However we have some heavy showers and perhaps still a chance here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms, strong wind, heavy snow
help.gif Sorry to ask this but could someone with more experience than myself give their opinions if I still have a change to see storm? Sigh* even 1 rumble will do it's been about 3 years since a thunderstorm for mesorry.gif Edited by Hodr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

good memories of this....one of the best long distance storms we`ve ever seen, 20 odd miles away but we had a ring side seat!

just hope it starts a few miles down the M5 if it kicks off this time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Nice TS this morning around midday, torrential rain and the obligatory 3 flashes and rumbles, one very close. Stranded at Tesco I was, complete with aged parent in wheelchair plus trolley for about 30 mins (not exactly dressed for wet weather haha) smile.png

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Just heavy showers here but as ever no storms.

Posted

Had 2 storms here this afternoon, the first one hit just after half one, and had the biggest looking mammatus on the rear end of it that I've seen in a long time.

The one that hit around half three was a proverbial humdinger, with some constant thunder being produced at least.

Hope this evening provides another couple.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Had 2 storms here this afternoon, the first one hit just after half one, and had the biggest looking mammatus on the rear end of it that I've seen in a long time.

The one that hit around half three was a proverbial humdinger, with some constant thunder being produced at least.

Hope this evening provides another couple.

How about some for those who very rarely get them these days like us in the West Midlands!!!

How boring today has been. Sunny and Dry over this muck anyday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm not too sure, It does appear to me low cloud has cleared here as the sun did broke through earlier and I can see brighter skies towards the West and more or less above me so hopefully if anything thundery comes along, I will hopefully see it.

It would appear we lost the easterly flow we had this morning so all eyes to the South and West I guess.

The low cloud cleared briefly here as the shower cleared away, but as soon as the sun came out it rolled back in again, so the winds still appear to have an easterly component over here.

Posted

Fairly uneventful day here up to now. Went over to the coast with the kids this morning and there were some heavy showers around, one in particular that soaked us as we were walking to the chippy. This. afternoon has been a mix of steady rainfall, with the odd heavier burst mixed in. Here's hoping we catch a shower or two when this greyness clears.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I saw that small storm at around 2pm and could see the bigger one that travelled through Scunny and across the Humber from a distance but was too far away to catch unfortunately. Still i got at least 4 cg's on camera which even though a fair distance away is still much better than i would have got at home. I will post some pics later if they have come out ok.

I am now not far from Pontefract, heading back towards my homeland. Not sure, but may still be chances this evening for some if Barb is getting a storm in Wales as i would expect the potential to recede from the west. Therefore if the potential still there in Wales, it should still be there for a lot of us.