Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worst April Through June Since?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Wasn't last year the 2nd warmest ever (UK) and last decade the warmest decade ever (globally and UK)? 2010 was also the joint warmest year globally on record. How does that fit into a cooling climate?

I'm not looking for an argument, I was just highlighting the fact that warming hasn't taken place (in the CET zone at least), for about 20 years, just a series of very warm years followed one after another with the odd exception (2010). Although I didn't mention global temperatures, 2011 globally was the 11th warmest on record, which I wouldn't describe as exceptional, although others may differ in opinion.

Btw, I didn't mention a cooling climate, sorry if my post came across in that way.

Posted

As said before, overnight temperatures are generally higher than in previous years, which skew the mean temperatures to be 'warmer', Also Europe as a while is certainly much warmer and sunnier. It's just us, Ireland, and Denmark who seem to get the short straw. Norway, although often wet, was fed up with rain last year too...

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

NOAA Climate report.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

To be honest, I think it's been warm in the last 20 years, but warming hasn't really happened. If you look at the graph and there really hasn't been any warming for about a couple of decades, just warm years on a level trend.

http://www.metoffice...rs_uptodate.gif

I agree, there is a great deal of merrit in what you say. If the last decade here in the UK has been getting warmer and warmer and 2010 the warmest on record.....something is wrong with the data, or its all being pumped up and exagerated.

Our climate here in the UK hasnt changed one bit as far as I am concerned....there are no stressed out species suffering from accelerated climate change, there is no runaway warming. If anyone wants to know the truth then just grab the temp records from 100 years ago and do a comparisson.

If you can spot a difference then good luck to you.

Posted

Conceivably this is the wrong thread, but (aimed at Mr Data in particular) how many if any summers past started off on a cool unsettled note and then had very hot spells?

I ask because I cannot recall any in my lifetime. There's been quite a few where the weather settled down and became benign (e.g August 2007 eventually did this) but none where it actually became hot.

Any offers?

Posted

Conceivably this is the wrong thread, but (aimed at Mr Data in particular) how many if any summers past started off on a cool unsettled note and then had very hot spells?

1990 is the classic example.

1997 although overall wasn't cool, the second half certainly was.

Posted

When there is so much moisture in the ground, its very unlikely to produce high temperatures. Too much of the infra-red waveband energy is used in the process of evapouration.

Posted

1995 was very cool, damp and drizzly (at least where I lived at the time) in the first half of June but transformed into a superb summer, but the change was about mid-month, well past where we are now and also it wasn't especially wet - more just cold and dull, so I don't think I can shoehorn that one in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I agree, there is a great deal of merrit in what you say. If the last decade here in the UK has been getting warmer and warmer and 2010 the warmest on record.....something is wrong with the data, or its all being pumped up and exagerated.

Our climate here in the UK hasnt changed one bit as far as I am concerned....there are no stressed out species suffering from accelerated climate change, there is no runaway warming. If anyone wants to know the truth then just grab the temp records from 100 years ago and do a comparisson.

If you can spot a difference then good luck to you.

Long term temperature fluctuations have been occuring for the whole duration that the graph covers, it just happens to be we are in a warmer period currently.

Posted

When there is so much moisture in the ground, its very unlikely to produce high temperatures. Too much of the infra-red waveband energy is used in the process of evapouration.

Do you mean evaporation? At this time of year it won't take a long dry spell to dry the ground out though, so this isn't a concern if we can get a drier period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Also June 1991 was awful but both July and August had a CET over 17c.

Posted

1995 was very cool, damp and drizzly (at least where I lived at the time) in the first half of June but transformed into a superb summer, but the change was about mid-month, well past where we are now and also it wasn't especially wet - more just cold and dull, so I don't think I can shoehorn that one in.

It was a very dry June, in the top 10 driest Junes on record, a fact often forgotten about that month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Also June 1991 was awful but both July and August had a CET over 17c.

I well remember that summer. The first 6 weeks were really poor, but then it completely turned around, like you say.

Let's hope history repeats!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I find this interesting, how the ground conditions affect the weather, how does this affect the model data? Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I find this interesting, how the ground conditions affect the weather, how does this affect the model data?

It would be the same effect as sweating cooling a person down, by evaporation of water. This must only be a relatively short term effect in the summer, if a dry spell ensues.

Good point as to whether it affects model data. I've personally no idea. I guess more knowledgeable people here would know.

Edited by Speed67

Posted
Posted · Hidden by reef, June 26, 2012 - This is not the climate section
Hidden by reef, June 26, 2012 - This is not the climate section

Long term temperature fluctuations have been occuring for the whole duration that the graph covers, it just happens to be we are in a warmer period currently.

Yes, its a perfectly normal state of affairs and our current rate of change is well within the accepted natural deviation. However, over the past 100 years the temps here increased in the early 1900's, they decreased again after the middle of the century and increased again at the very end. But check out the extreme maximum and minimum CET's here in the UK 100 years ago with the last decade and I think most will be very surprised at what they find. It doesnt demonstrate that there is anything changing in our climate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I can cope with mostly cloudy conditions as long as its warm and humid like it was today. At last we had a breeze that was soft and soothing rather than cool and biting.

Posted

Even for a part of the world as wet as Ireland, June has been appalling with more to come and no end in sight into July.

Depressing stuff.

Posted

Oh shock horror the last minute upgrades on the 12z now downgrading back to rainy rubbish for tommorow and Thursday.

Now confirmed were end the month without having a single sunny day.