Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The North Of England Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted

You know after last night I'm going to trust my instinct a bit more with regards to conditions viable to bring snow. Myself and others identified that the conditions were going to be just right, whilst there was still some pessimism knocking about which knocked my confidence, thinking that it couldn't happen, when in fact it did!

We got the cold, we got the precipitation, and we got the snow :) Result!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

In perspective, from the September 2011-May 2012 period (last winter), I managed 2 snow lying days (December 17, 1cm; February 5, 1cm).

I have managed 1cm lying as of 10am today (9am GMT), making it not only as snowy as any other day last winter here, but also now half of last winters snow days, and we haven't even reached last winter.

What a superb start. I know synoptics like this do occur but the intensity and frequency, like Alza pointed out, was superb. One must think the SSTs helped that on it's way. I was surprised at the relative lack of modification.

It's now drizzling/raining lightly, and you can see parts of the grass, but hey ho, that was fantastic.

Posted

Fingers crossed that's not our lot for the winter! LOL

I remember last year in December we got a little snow and thinking "and so it begins".... and that was pretty much where it ended too! :|

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

After my previous reports, there were a couple more snow showers at Sandhutton, with some graupel mixed in, between 2 and 3am which left a more significant dusting (most of the grass couldn't be seen) but it warmed up after that, and sleety showers washed away the snow cover by 9am. It's still remarkably cold for late-October though, and the latest shower started off as rain but soon turned to sleet/snow. It seems that Sandhutton and Cleadon have scored roughly equally during this northerly, which is pleasing to see as I thought the showers would be confined to within 5-10 miles of the east coast after sunset yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Crisp and sunny here. Nothing overnight (unless I blinked and missed it !) - too far south and west. Worst is that my weather station broke over the summer, have been delaying getting a new one until 'proper winter weather' was in the offing - typical our first taste comes early this year.........

Not knowing the true outdoor temp, dew point and wind speed and direction is like losing a long standing reliable old friend !!! (my wife keeps saying 'it's cold, sunny and a bit windy, what more do you need to know' - she doesn't understand.................)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

That looks to be it now. Hopefully the rest of the day will remain sunny and cold!

I suspect we will see another northerly in November, but I don't think this as any bearing on the rest of the winter.

Edited by Alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Fingers crossed that's not our lot for the winter! LOL

I remember last year in December we got a little snow and thinking "and so it begins".... and that was pretty much where it ended too! :|

Well the cold in early February was extremely noteworthy, but the source of the air meant we had near to nothing to celebrate snow-wise in the NE. I guess last winter was needed. We can't go along thinking every winter will be a Nov-Dec 2010 or 2009-2010 can we?! It brought us back down to earth in a way and I guess makes us appreciates spells like this more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Hope you guys enjoyed your taste of winter, just be sure to save some of that for us lot in the west!

A low here overnight of -0.8C, think that's the earliest air frost I have ever recorded here. Impressive. Shame the Atlantic returns tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

0.2C here, very cold considering there was a breeze for most of the night!

Last frost for a while though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Low 0.6C here so missed out on an air frost but I saw snow falling and settling in October so I'm really not fussed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Had alot of wet snow/graupel and sleet showers overnight leaving a dusting in the village. Just about all melted now. Didn't have any convective snow showers here at all last winter so this is a good start to the winter.

Took a trip up to north York moors last night where there was a good covering but I was limited to where I go due to road conditions being too dangerous. Hoping to see some pics from 4wd of that area today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Well done to you lot "Up North" getting your first snowfall of the season, and just after Mid Autumn !! that's pretty impressive.

Here's hoping this winter goes along the same lines 2008/2009 did and us southerners can join in the fun later in the winter....we missed the snow but boy ohh boy is it windy down here !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Well done to you lot "Up North" getting your first snowfall of the season, and just after Mid Autumn !! that's pretty impressive.

Here's hoping this winter goes along the same lines 2008/2009 did and us southerners can join in the fun later in the winter....we missed the snow but boy ohh boy is it windy down here !

I live up north and saw nothing lol cray.gif and 7 miles north of me in leeds it was sorry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Aaron, there was no snow here sad.png

Sorry about that! It was just a dusting, so nothing to cry about really.

That snow amount in Copley is pretty crazy though. Seriously wish I lived up in the hills.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

12cm (5in) lying at 0900 at Copley, Co.Durham. Registered METO station.

12cm?! That's stunning! I really enjoyed reading all the snow reports in this part of the world and what a difference a year makes.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/74824-members-pictures-of-wintry-weather-20122013/

A thread here for your pictures of the wintry weather of the past few days.

Edited by A Winter's Tale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Was a tiny covering here last night in Immingham, settling on the main roads and cars, very marginal though, top end of Pelham Road was covered in hail/snow on entering the town at just gone midnight thanks to an intense hail/snow shower. As I reached the other end (less than a mile up the road). Very odd to see weather like this a) at this time of the year and B) this close to the coast.

Posted

Ventured over to Barnard Castle today and was very surprised to see most surfaces covered in snow when I arrived just before 12pm. It seems the barnard castle-copley area saw the heaviest amounts of snow overnight - very unusual given how far inland these parts were. I hadn't planned to go to Barnard Castle today neither - I must have had a sixth sense.. Enjoyed a good walk along the banks of the Tees and snow was still in situ in sheltered spots by middle of the afternoon indicative of the quite heavy falls, and it was bitingly cold in the bitter wind, it felt like a mid winters day...

There was no snow to the west of Stainmore top, a classic east-west split with Cumbria all green. Cumbria often does poorly in northerlies unless there is trough action. The fells have still to receive there first snows of the season, however,the coming days will likely produce bouts of heavy wet snow possibly down to quite low levels thanks to evaporative cooling and a more favourable wind direction i.e. NW.

Whilst the cold spell has been shortlived, it has been a notably cold one, the temperature difference behind the cold front being very marked indeed, I known many a similiar synoptic in the depths of January produce no snow goods - it really was a true blast of undiluted arctic air overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.
Posted · Hidden by reef, October 28, 2012 - Not really appropriate
Hidden by reef, October 28, 2012 - Not really appropriate

12cm?! That's stunning!

All this talk of the 'white stuff' has clearly got you aroused

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

I really hope Sandy, as an extra-tropical storm will go across the atlantic and slam britain with winds upto 80-90mph and 100mph over high ground. It also may bring much colder weather behind it. It may happen next week. I maybe wrong though.

It prob arrive over here around next tuesday or wednesday. not this week, next week. It is a one to watch and it is quite a threat to us too. behind it will be north to northwesterly winds and it may bring snow to north-west england.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I really hope Sandy, as an extra-tropical storm will go across the atlantic and slam britain with winds upto 80-90mph and 100mph over high ground. It also may bring much colder weather behind it. It may happen next week. I maybe wrong though.

It prob arrive over here around next tuesday or wednesday. not this week, next week. It is a one to watch and it is quite a threat to us too. behind it will be north to northwesterly winds and it may bring snow to north-west england.

It's not coming here at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Meto weather warning for strong winds & high rainfall totals tomorrow over Cumbria - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/?regionName=nw&from=rss&sn=8878BB66-B7BB-A02C-9E07-B10637F31480_1_NW