Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 5th July 2012>

Posted

Well It says "Take action"

So. Given its a Gov website I would take that as " The Gov is saying Take action"

I would suggest you take action... Whatever that "action" is mean to be is beyond me.... Run around in circles shouting ITS RED! ITS RED! ?

call the coastguard!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Well It says "Take action"

So. Given its a Gov website I would take that as " The Gov is saying Take action"

I would suggest you take action... Whatever that "action" is mean to be is beyond me.... Run around in circles shouting ITS RED! ITS RED! ?

If you live in flood prone areas, try and stop flood water from affecting your house? Or stay inside away from flood water? It's common sense really?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Crickey Red warning for here from the Meto. The last time that happened was the thundersnow event on the 5/6th Feb 2009, when Dartmoor had several feet of snow, only managed a couple of inches here but there was some very heavy snowfall for a time.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Think we have truly had the worst of all possible worlds here today, as far as uninteresting weather goes. Apart from a short spell of heavy rain earlier this morning,we have now reverted to drizzle, with dull and very very overcast conditions. We currently have the lights on in the house, and heating is on!

To make matters worse, a slack breeze, unusually from the NE, is blowing all the petro-chemical pollution from Stanlow Refinery directly over the town and it's getting trapped in the dank conditions, and the smell is making people physically sick here....

Not a good day.

So sorry for you. That's a horrible situation. Time for the HSE and many others to take note. We take high use of oil for granted without real concern about pollution impacts from start to end of the production, let alone any serious concerm about the possible link with climate change. OK, let's not touch that delicate subject. . But a very big rethink is for sure needed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

50mm from the "rain event" over about 8hrs - by no means the worst I've seen (71mm in 2 hrs from a storm in the early evening, August 2005 I think)

Something coming over from the south not sure but looks very promising just have to wait an see tease.gif

SPOTTED MY FIRST TORNADO TODAY!!!! went out for a drive to drop sister of to Dads and spotted it out of the cells to the west of London!!! Got pics of the storms but not the tornado :( we think it made touch down for about 2-5 seconds before vanashing :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Those cells north of London aren't looking to fire up. Still could happen but chances are diminishing.

Posted

Good luck to all those folk in the South West, I love Polpero but wouldnt want to be there now, hopefully all the holidaymakers are being made aware to the siutation, as some people are NOT weather addicts like us. Fingers crossed for Shrewsbury tomorrow on getting some TS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

in light of the 'red alert' warning from the met office I'd better give my old man a ring and spread the word...He lives in Newton Abbot, which is prone to flooding, from the River Teign and from run off water from Dartmoor

Posted

I can imagine RIAT is going to be hit by this, with the weekend events coming up a Red Warning definitely warrants imo. Especially seeing how the RADAR has literally exploded during the past few hours, where the pivot point now is crucial in determining how much landmass vs English Channel gets the amount of rain expected.

Posted

NMM rain total forecast tells the story & this is in addition to any rain which has fallen before 3pm today... 100mm or so very possible locally in the southwest..

post-2-0-97709600-1341599905_thumb.png

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Evening everyone!

night shift again tonight, so another night watching the radar, Looks like we gonna get another soaking {im at work in Jarrow }

Posted

Evening everyone!

night shift again tonight, so another night watching the radar, Looks like we gonna get another soaking {im at work in Jarrow }

A couple of strikes from that band of heavy rain spreading from the south so maybe

the odd surprise rumble later on this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe t/ storms, rain, snow, wind!

Chucking it down here in Sherborne, Dorset...I live on a hill so am not too worried about my house but if I was on the flat I would probably be slightly worried right now...stay safe all x

Posted

Remarkable to run the radar this evening, if you zoom to BA12 (or any other BA postcode) you can see the East edge of the rain area over Wiltshire/Berkshire moving Westwards and the much heavier area of rain around Bristol down into Somerset moving Eastwards - there is no gap either.

I can imagine RIAT is going to be hit by this,

Fairford will probably have light-moderate rain until around midnight and then be much drier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I would advise anyone in the red warning zone and in an area prone to flooding to check on and warn any vulnerable neighbours. As a previous poster said, the Met Office don't issue red warnings lightly.

Posted

The last red warning from the Metoffice was December 2011 for the storm force winds over Scotland, gusts of 90-100mph (105mph recorded @ Tulloch Bridge) - so they don't issue them lightly, major rainfall totals accumulating. Stay safe.

It's gone wrong in the past though.

Once there was a red warning for West/South Yorkshire for snow which stated there would be a 'risk to life' if you travel.

About 10-15cm fell over 12 hours of mostly light snow..

-__-

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Quick look at the METO rain forecast.

Aside from the endless rain in the South West, looking at those suggests storms in the Midlands and parts of Northern England tomorrow!

Posted

well il sum up todays weather down here.... lazy.gif ... aint it about time that this jet stream buggered off back north??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

NMM rain total forecast tells the story & this is in addition to any rain which has fallen before 3pm today... 100mm or so very possible locally in the southwest..

post-2-0-97709600-1341599905_thumb.png

Looks like tomorrow is going to be one hell of a day for some!

Heavy rain here currently, Quite Quite heavy

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

No mention of a red warning a few minutes ago on the News Channel.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

So sorry for you. That's a horrible situation. Time for the HSE and many others to take note. We take high use of oil for granted without real concern about pollution impacts from start to end of the production, let alone any serious concerm about the possible link with climate change. OK, let's not touch that delicate subject. . But a very big rethink is for sure needed.

Mainly a problem when the wind shifts or we get an inversion. We need a good storm to freshen things up!