Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 5th July 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Evening all, I flew back from Malaga this afternoon. I had no idea there was a convective episode until my plane flew over the north of France. Needless to say as my plane crossed the channel the convection turned to mush!

I've attached a piccie of the cells in northern France photographed from 38,000 feet. Very impressive and the pilot had to make a westerly detour to avoid them.

post-12190-0-80270900-1341606886_thumb.j

I bet the pilot requested a left turn to avoid weather, and the french replied with.....

'Errrrrrrrrrr, Resume own navigationeeee direct errrr to ""some waypoint on the french fir and UK FIR border"", climb and eerrr Maintain Flight Level tree niner zero

(FIR = Flight Information Region)' becaause that's generally what they do. Lazy!!

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

No it wasn't?, I was at rezzed and saw people coming in completely drenched... mini rivers flowing down the road, cars going through waves of water blasting against the side doors.

Oh wait that's right you didn't know that did you smile.png

Yes, I know exactly what Brighton has had today, but I am not one to resort to hyperbole.

Brighton did have some very heavy rain for small periods but at no point was this torrential ( in a way that the rest of the country has suffered). I kept an eye on the radar all day and felt quite lucky compared to the rest of the country. The NW accumulation radar suggests Brighton had a let off today.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

evening guys, quick question/observation, wondered if anyone else has noticed it. quite heavy rain this evening but the clouds look different to normal, non existant in fact albeit a couple of really small dark low clouds. looks like it shouldnt be raining and we should have just a hazy evening?

cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I bet the pilot requested a left turn to avoid weather, and the french replied with.....

(FIR = Flight Information Region)' becaause that's generally what they do. Lazy!!

Robbie you made me laugh with that!! After the storms we made an easterly approach to Gatwick, the runway was drenched and our descent seemed a little sharp! Anyway, for the first time I have been flying the pilot aborted the landing. We touched down and all hell broke loose skidding on the tarmac etc, then max thrust and up we went again!! Another 15 mins later and we landed sort of safely but the wheels locked and the plane a (737-800) skidded again this time sideways!

Thank to everyone for the likes of my pics, I was more than happy to share.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Yes, I know exactly what Brighton has had today, but I am not one to resort to hyperbole.

Brighton bid have some very heavy rain for small periods but at no point was this torrential ( in a way that the rest of the country has suffered). I kept an eye on the radar all day and felt quite lucky compared to the rest of the country. The NW accumulation radar suggests Brighton had a let off today.

Hyperbole, whatever!

Let me just go ask the people that were on the beach at that time, some of the team here really have an attitude. Why not just say I didn't experience any of that here sorry to hear your event got soaked, and people wonder why i am the way i am on this forum. - Post under cover deletion in 3 2 1. It was torrential, it did start to give some flooding right on the very coast and alot of events got ruined at that part of the day. Rezzed was going to have lots of old arcades out but the weather put a stop to that :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

After the rain, and around Sunset, some good looking clouds began to roll past my window and started to convect.....could`nt resist

Posted

Hyperbole, whatever!

Let me just go ask the people that were on the beach at that time, some of the team here really have an attitude. Why not just say I didn't experience any of that here sorry to hear your event got soaked, and people wonder why i am the way i am on this forum. - Post under cover deletion in 3 2 1. It was torrential, it did start to give some flooding right on the very coast and alot of events got ruined at that part of the day. Rezzed was going to have lots of old arcades out but the weather put a stop to that sad.png

Having lived and worked in Brighton for the last 19 years, today was a let off with maybe temporary street water build up. Now for flooding; October 2000 was something else!

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Evening guys. Thos of u who r under the met red warning stay safe guys and keep an eye on the elderly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

rain here in winscombe now v hvy ,had some distant light about 20min ago .wind got gusty for a few min but now calm with rain getting heavier .system seems to be slowing down but growing in intensity . frustrating watching radar as it looks like slipping away south eastwards but i suppose its doing a wrap around , but iv just noticed that its gradually pushing back north sorry ,all keep safe , what will tomorrow bring ,could be interesting cheers .

Posted

NMM rain total forecast tells the story & this is in addition to any rain which has fallen before 3pm today... 100mm or so very possible locally in the southwest..

post-2-0-97709600-1341599905_thumb.png

Just looking back at this and it appears that the NMM has the wettest area slightly east of the red warning area.

Early indications suggest that this could be correct - in fact I wouldn't be surprised to see the wettest area further east still. This shows how difficult slow moving summer depressions can be to model correctly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

looks pretty bad up north at the moment. WOW. what a train of heavy showers.

Posted

Ian Ferguson has not long tweeted this.

W COUNTRY: Heavy rain looks trouble now frm Bridgwater SW to Tiverton, down to Lyme Bay & up across thro Chard, Crewkerne to Yeovil #SWFlood

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very heavy rainfall here now with a few torrential bursts bouncing off the roof as the front intensifies on it's journey north. Wettest summer on record 2012..... Certainly wouldn't dismiss it although slightly premature atm.

Those living in and around the heavy ppn/red warning area please make sure you are safe and check on any family, friends and neighbours that may be vulnerable especially in a location liable to flooding. Truly horrendous conditions in places, locally extreme.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

i can remember visiting my son in brighton university about 10 yrs ago and his flat was flooded , yet a FEW miles down the road zilch ,iv seen it rain on one side of a zebra crossing and not the other , TOO MUCH KNOCKING THE OTHER POSTER GOING ON , ENJOY THE WEATHER ,AND OUR FREEDOM ,CHEERS GANG BRILLIANT POSTS TODAY IM LOOKING FOREWARD TO SAT CHEERS legritter somerset 38mm so far .

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

looks pretty bad up north at the moment. WOW. what a train of heavy showers.

its still STOTTING down up here in the North East Just checked my weather site, and its showing me we have accumulated 14.4mm rain this evening add that too this mornings total around 8.8mm . so about 23mm accumulated today so far, other areas prob recorded more than that,

newmap1.jpg

Issued For: Locally heavy slow moving thunderstorms

Highlights

- CAPE in the region of 400 – 700 J/KG

- LIFT INDEX of -2

- Occluded Front creating Lift

Forecast Detail

Through the course of Sunday an Occluded front associated with an area of Low Pressure to the South-West will push Eastwards across Central Southern England, this along with CAPE and LIFT is expected to be enough to create some slow moving thundery downpoursthrough Sunday afternoon. Due to the recent heavy rainfalls localised flooding is a possibility although considered to be low at this stage. A weather advisory has therefore been issued

Bring it!

Posted

Torrential rain here now, seem to be getting those heavy showers just coming up from the channel

EDIT: Just to add, I just had a rainfall rate of 60mm/h here, was coming down so fast, the drains were having none of it

Edited by SnowMania

Posted

At last rain has stopped for now

Posted

Rain is getting heavier and heavier in Plymouth. Really feeling for those on holiday and in tents! Currently at 18mm/hr rain rate.

Posted

Good chance of storms Saturday Night into sunday morning ..

post-8968-0-14543100-1341618942_thumb.pn

w00t.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Here is some footage of the short storm I got caught in at Manchester Airport the night before last. No lightning captured I'm afraid. Extremely American looking skies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7QA7EA99lk&list=UUj-P8J6DV-AjueDg2KPooYg&index=1&feature=plcp

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Just totted up yesterdays rainfall which came in at 35.2mm Not bad but doesn't even make the top 12 in wet 24 hour periods.