Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 7th July 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Just had lightning and thunder here in SE17.... wohoo!! Storm Number 12!! 2nd overnight storm of the year.

Posted

Slight rumble in Battersea

Definitely can confirm, must be from nocturnal cooling. Would be a rather good MCS if there was some oompth in it if it was a MCS, quite amazing how this cell fired up briefly right over South London, within this band of heavy rain.

Interesting to see what the rest of this band can produce.

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted

Gatwick Confirmed Thunderstorm, heading this way....

EGKK 072350Z 04005KT 5000 TSRA SCT003 SCT006 BKN010CB 14/14 Q1004

Posted

Clearly something has set this off. Northern France has recently gone boom too, especially over Paris. Connected maybe?

Posted

Gimme gimme gimme a storm after midnight, oh some static help me keep the boredom at bay!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Looked good at first but oh well.

Posted
http://ukasf.co.uk/storm-forecasts/192 a general storm forecast from ukasf for much of England and wales except east of Pennines and southern coastal counties ( is this Manchester/bolton's turn?!) :) day off today playing games and storm radar watching. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Just rain here overnight as per usual. Still, cleans the patio nicely I suppose!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Might have the best chance of the last 7 days of hearing thunder today, though not holding my breath, still not heard thunder since I came back from storm chasing on the 12th June.

Storm forecast for today: http://www.netweathe...0c901ac33106e3c

Valid: 08/07/2012 09:00 - 09/07/2012 06:00

Headline: ... THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST...

post-1052-0-25105700-1341735851_thumb.jp

Synopsis

Upper low overspreads England during the forecast period, surface low situated across SE England at 07z Sun will drift NE over the S North Sea by 18z.

... E WALES, MIDLANDS, S/SE ENGLAND AND E ANGLIA ...

Subject to cloud cover from morning showers, diurnal heating in cloud breaks of a moist boundary layer here (DPs 14-15C) beneath mid-upper low/cold pool will likely yield 300-600 j/kg SBCAPE. Although heavy showers are ongoing, insolation will generate sufficient cloud height for scattered thunderstorms to develop late morning and through the afternoon/early evening. Vertical shear and upper winds will again be rather weak, so an organised threat of severe weather is unlikely, though a few wind convergence zones will likely focus showers/storms and with light winds aloft, slow-moving downpours may lead to some localised flash flooding. Storms may also be accompanied by hail, gusty winds and also there is a chance of funnels or even brief weak tornadoes/waterspouts where wind convergence helps more buoyant updrafts to rotate. Storms should fade later this evening as diurnal heating wanes.

Issued by: Nick F - Forecaster for Netweather

Posted

So apart from the rain, what's in store for today?

Well no forecast from ESTOFEX but I'm not sure that means no storms? UKASF forecast:

Forecaster: Chris

Last Updated: 2012-07-07 22:15:00

Valid: 2012-07-08 00:00:00 - 2012-07-08 23:59:00

post-6667-0-34654700-1341735714.png

Areas Affected:

Wales, Central England.

Synopsis:

An upper low vortex will continue to spin across Britain bringing generally unsettled conditions to most places. At the surface the low will be centred just to the east of Norfolk in the North Sea with generally a N to NW flow aloft across southern Britain.

Discussion:

Low confidence of lightning, however, most models indicate somewhere between 300-600j/kg of CAPE through the middle part of the day, however the Spainish HiRLAM, shows very limited CAPE values, most likely due to it's handling of cloud cover through the day. The NAE suggest that any early low cloud and rain should clear across the SLGT risk area allowing for enough sunshine to produce some sharp showers. If these develop a few of them may turn thundery from late morning through mid-afternoon. Very little shear is forecast across the risk area, therefore most showers will be of the short-lived pulse variety. However, given the risk of some surface convergence with the close proximity of the surface low + insolation around midday, low level CAPE could be enough to help support an isolated funnel from the early stages of a developing shower.

Nothing from TORRO or SkyWarn so here's the charts:

075942Z_21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_12070812.GIF

064202Z_21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_12070815.GIF

011525Z_21OWS_AFWA-GEPS-PRODUCTS_MODEL-DATA_ENSEMBLE_PROB-OF-LTG-STRIKE_ENSEMBLE_24_12Z.png

Aviation charts have that area further North:

PGNE14_CL.gif

So do GFS:

gfs_cape_eur15.png

gfs_icape_eur15.png

gfs_layer_eur15.png

Even more rain in the very SE corner!

gfs_prec_eur15.png

SBCAPE:

gfs_spout_eur15.png

Lapse rates in East Anglia:

gfs_lapse2_eur15.png

HiRLAM confines it to the very East, a Kent Clipper+ ????

hir_cape_eur15.png

hir_icape_eur15.png

hir_layer_eur15.png

In simple terms:

12_20.gif

18_20.gif

An interesting one to keep an eye on if you're not watching tennis or the British GP over a roast dinner!!!

post-6667-0-34654700-1341735714_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I don't think it is my turn today.

Best areas will be as below I think (in black box). I have marked on where the convergence zones and higher CAPE overly each other in red, which could be focal point for storms.

post-2719-0-55118400-1341736348_thumb.gi

Just seen Coast's charts. Look at the lightning risk chart for East Anglia at 12 noon today!!!

Edited by Supacell

Posted

I'm sure I heard something around 5.00am this morning, but nothing on any detectors. Fingers crossed for today though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

I don't think it is my turn today.

Best areas will be as below I think (in black box). I have marked on where the convergence zones and higher CAPE overly each other in red, which could be focal point for storms.

post-2719-0-55118400-1341736348_thumb.gi

Just seen Coast's charts. Look at the lightning risk chart for East Anglia at 12 noon today!!!

We are at the top left of that risk zone but near the convergence line, Wonder if today will be our day....!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Question for the experts here :)

With most of us being in a NW flow today, could this mean showers and storms would develop and filter through the Cheshire gap one after the other as per showers that occur in winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

Torrential rain here at the moment and pretty much throughout the night as well. And pleased to say I heard my first, singular rumble of thunder last night !!

Posted

The grey skies and torrential rain here on and off since 4.30am - doesn't bode too well for storms today. Oh well.

Posted

Nothing much interesting on the MetOffice radar till 1600, with some big blobs passing through.

Last night was mostly just heavy rain, I guess I was lucky to get an isolated TS. Brightening up now a tad...

Posted

Question for the experts here smile.png

With most of us being in a NW flow today, could this mean showers and storms would develop and filter through the Cheshire gap one after the other as per showers that occur in winter?

I'm interested in the response to this too!

Posted

Question for the experts here :)

Clouds here are still moving from a more east to west pattern still like yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm interested in the response to this too!

I think it depends on the upper winds, too; unfortunately, it's too cloudy to see much of what's going-on up there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Not looking good for convection here in North Yorkshire, or for that matter sunshine or warmth, with a thick sheet of stratocumulus overhead. I remarked in the "advantages of the wet summer" thread that I'm not against wet summers if they are frequently characterised by thundery downpours with sunshine in between, but during this summer such conditions have mostly been scuppered by large amounts of cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I would like to know if i'm out of the picture because of the NW wind. This means that the wind is from the sea, but not as directly as if it was from the west. I'm trying not to think that we'll breed the showers and they'll only develop into storms as they track SE. PS, I would think the chesher gap effect would happen yes.

Posted

I would like to know if i'm out of the picture because of the NW wind. This means that the wind is from the sea, but not as directly as if it was from the west. I'm trying not to think that we'll breed the showers and they'll only develop into storms as they track SE. PS, I would think the chesher gap effect would happen yes.

Can only go on what I'm seeing overhead but from my location the wind is blowing from NW to SE, in the direction of Chester. Some good heat out there today in the sunshine too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

But I'm a mile away from the coast and there is not much land apart from Formby point to the NorthWest of me. I'm just hoping the sea isn't too cold to sustain convection.