Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 17th July 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Heavy downpours here , the air very unstable , could go bang further north into mid and north wales

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I'm really up for chasing today but having difficulties selecting a prime location,don't want to waste time and petrol,its a should I stay or should I go senario.

It's very tricky on days like this. You look in quite a decent area, I don't think you would need to go too far.

I don't know about the local characteristics around there but I would guess a little north or north west would be a good place to go. I could be completely wrong though.

Last time I went out chasing I didn't see anything and while I was out, a storm hit Nottingham with quite a few strikes within a few miles of where I would have been.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Heard a clap of thunder here in Somerset 5 minutes ago.Think it will be the only one ,but very heavy downpours now.:-)

Edited by littlemissy

Posted

It is incredibly dark just to the edge of here but blue skies the opposite side.

Edited by Luke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Strikes appearing all over the place now. A few over west London, a few in the Somerset/Bristol Channel area, probably from the massive cbs I can see to the west and southwest, and another over Birmingham. An interesting day to come I think. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Right, Im off up to Stroud today, may go a little further north if needed too. Might go and sit on top of Minchenhampton, at least you can get an Ice Cream there whislt you wait.

Knowing my luck this will be the day Bristol gets hit, but after weighing everything up, I feel Gloucs/Cotswolds have a better chance, so going to take the plunge and go to Stroud now.

Wish me Luck!!!!!!!! clapping.giftease.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Right, Im off up to Stroud today, may go a little further north if needed too. Might go and sit on top of Minchenhampton, at least you can get an Ice Cream there whislt you wait.

Knowing my luck this will be the day Bristol gets hit, but after weighing everything up, I feel Gloucs/Cotswolds have a better chance, so going to take the plunge and go to Stroud now.

Wish me Luck!!!!!!!! clapping.giftease.gif

Good luck!

Posted

Strikes appearing all over the place now. A few over west London, a few in the Somerset/Bristol Channel area, probably from the massive cbs I can see to the west and southwest, and another over Birmingham. An interesting day to come I think. smile.png

I thought I was hearing things here in Somerset as we have had one big(ish) sound of thunder and one tiny one.The rain is very very intense one minute and the next it's stopped only to be repeated again a couple of minutes later.

Two huge banks of cloud and then bright sunshine .Great stuff.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It is incredibly dark just to the edge of here but blue skies the opposite side.

Indeed, I can see that cloud towards Halesowen. Sunny/Bright here. Here should do well given forecasts today.

Posted

Absolutely hmmering it down now.WOW.And now a huge thunder clap..............excellent.

Edited by littlemissy

Posted

Showers starting to pop up all over now, always a good sign when it starts early. I'd better get out and do some work in the garden while its dry. Fingers crossed for this arvo!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Just having a light shower ATM, I hope that's not all that we get today, it has happpppened before but I don't think it will today some how.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

3 rumbles of thunder just to the west of here. Sun still shining warmly but looking jet black out west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Ok quite heavy now so it's heading in the right direction.

Posted

I'm in Ayrshire today and keeping an eye on things - showers have just exploded on the radar in the last 30 minutes or so. Have been watching a few cells go up from the garden which have very dark bases, fingers crossed!

Edit: Sferic detected on a cell to my south east which is moving this way, about 5 miles away :)

Posted

Just having a light shower ATM, I hope that's not all that we get today, it has happpppened before but I don't think it will today some how.

We had a sharp shower about 45 mins ago.

Nothing since then.

Edited by Cloudwatcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Nice convection going up around here, especially over Bradford east where it looks like a shower has popped up. I am currently sat about half a mile from the M62 so i can get west or east fairly easily to intercept any storms if they come.

Northern Cumbria into SW Scotland looking particularly active at the moment. Big dry area across the area that looked to be at highest risk, which may be a good things as it allows the sun to stay out and increase temperatures.

Posted

I'm in Ayrshire today and keeping an eye on things - showers have just exploded on the radar in the last 30 minutes or so. Have been watching a few cells go up from the garden which have very dark bases, fingers crossed!

Edit: Sferic detected on a cell to my south east which is moving this way, about 5 miles away smile.png

Just heard a faint rumble of thunder :D

Posted

Well, I'm signing off guys. Nothing down for us here today. Too much cloud (far too much cloud), no sunshine, and no heating. The usual story. But good luck to everyone else on here today. Carlisle area looks good atm!

Stay safe :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Wow for once showers aren't dying out over the Bristol channel/Severn Estuary. I'm hopeful for today now smile.png

Evident convection is rapidly showing up on radar now across most areas with showers appearing just about anywhere across England. good.gif

I wouldn't write today off just yet it's way too early!

Edited by Chris K

Posted

It's only early, don't give up yet. Having another sharp shower here now.