Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stormy Wednesday 15th August 2012

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

What a day! Couldn't report anything as have been at work all day.

The day started on the warm side, quite muggy and breezy with increasingly undulating cloud, the wind being warm. Spots of rain began by 8.30-9am and the wind picked up a bit more. Then at 9.30, there was a rogue bang of thunder followed by an almighty downpour as the sky came over all black. This was followed by an hour of light rain/drizzle which became a full on deluge of torrential rain lasting until 1.30pm. As the front moved away with a clearly defined line of blue sky from the west, a decent display of mammatus showed itself as it cleared to the east.

Since then, a sunny afternoon with fast moving clouds and one very gusty wind! All in all an exciting day, but I will be cursing my life away if it's like this at the weekend. :)

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Rain stopped about half an hour ago. Lovely clear sky now spreading up here from south Lancs.

Almost no wind,.

Temp 17.2C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I am watching the rain move in from the SW an hoping I hear a rumble or two but probably wont....I will say this though it has maintained its intensity so far!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Steady rain here at the moment,nothing squally yet.

Keep me (and others) posted though I have waited all afternoon for this, just in case it did surprise me lol

Posted

Half hour of heavy rain at 17:45 and that was all mother nature wanted to give me doh.gif

Oh well can see clear sky's to my SW now so tis all over once again search.gif

Posted

Heavy rain now but no wind,although very dark.

Stotting down here now!

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

Had intense rainfall around 6am this morning, which managed to wake me up, but not much else to report except some strong gusts.

On the other hand, my sister got caught in a strong thunderstorm in Reading sometime during the afternoon. She said the sky went blacker than she's ever seen it and the heavens opened. She thought she'd wait it out in a supermarket, but it seemed to go on for ages and ages. I heard all of this second-hand, but I'm trying to get hold of my sister so she can verify the details. It sounded pretty intense.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

we had heavy rain for about 10 minutes here certainly nothing to get excited about, max rain rate was probably around 10mm/hr.

Posted

intense for the last hour but not a patch on what we got on the 28th.thank god

The 28th of June is going to be very difficult to beat!

Still lashing down here,enough for some minor flooding maybe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Squall line hit Donny at precisely 5pm as I was leaving the office hoping to beat it home. Weather was wild along the M18 until past Thorne when you could see the front edge of the front to the East. Saw lightning at the junction of the M18 and M62 and eventually cleared the front of the band as I passed Howden Amazing front edge with a dark low base with a vaulted asperatus section behind - very spectacular. Behind me as I drove East on the M62 I have never seen the sky so black.

When I got home to Beverley, I closed all the windows and waited, warning everyone about what was to come. Guess what happened? Nothing! I have just walked the dogs and can see the clearance to the west and the wind is a westerly. What happened to the front? It must have died in the last 15 miles before it got here. Loads of (near) sferics on AM though but I cannot see where these have come from.

All in all an anticlimax here and couldn't enjoy it on the drive home....gutted!

Posted

Think Main line has just hit us. Really intense rain

As quick as it arrived, it's disappeared lol

Edited by NUT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

I think the met called this1 rite for the midlands only heavy rain.

Posted

Looking at the radar, as the LEWP approaches here (near Hull), a new, more intense line of convection develops a little further East over the N Sea. As a result, the main precipitation band dies out in and around the Humber and eventually links up to the north with this new convective band over the N Sea. This explains why the squall line never got here and why I am still hearing sferics on the radio in spite of no appreciable rainfall over the last hour and a half or so.

Still gutted though - AND it's too bright to see the light show over the N Sea. cray.gif

Posted

Sitting in my coach in Tiverton, not 100% sure but I thought I just heard a faint rumble of thunder, certainly a heavy shower just to the SW of Tiverton atm according to the radar (iPhone)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

I wanted to record todays passage of weather over Birmingham (just in case) for posterity

Heres a time-lapse between 8 AM - 4.45pm.....Really boring apart from when the squall came through this afternoon, before returning the city to calmness after 10 minutes of madness

good tune from an old LP "Lez Dawson plays the Foo Fighters".....(LP= Nothing to do with Low Pressure!)

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

Squall line hit Donny at precisely 5pm as I was leaving the office hoping to beat it home. Weather was wild along the M18 until past Thorne when you could see the front edge of the front to the East. Saw lightning at the junction of the M18 and M62 and eventually cleared the front of the band as I passed Howden Amazing front edge with a dark low base with a vaulted asperatus section behind - very spectacular. Behind me as I drove East on the M62 I have never seen the sky so black.

When I got home to Beverley, I closed all the windows and waited, warning everyone about what was to come. Guess what happened? Nothing! I have just walked the dogs and can see the clearance to the west and the wind is a westerly. What happened to the front? It must have died in the last 15 miles before it got here. Loads of (near) sferics on AM though but I cannot see where these have come from.

All in all an anticlimax here and couldn't enjoy it on the drive home....gutted!

Yes,i saw that lightning,it was all over the place with CG'S,CC'S and nice booming thunder toobiggrin.png

got the camera out to film it,but did nowt,oh well.

This is the result of one of the CG near me.. This was taken in Sandall Park in Doncaster at about 10 past 6.

971yK.jpg

Posted

Wow! I missed all that by minutes and it died before it got here only to reform in the N Sea. If you have NW radar, check out HU17 andf you will see what I mean. We never get anything more than blue echoes here in Bev from the LEWP.

Oh well, here's hoping for a 'nice' weekend!

Posted

Bit of a damp squib here in Bristol. Heavy rain from about 10 til 1. Winds squally but nothing severe.

Cant see what all the fuss was about to be honest.

Reading some of the posts on here in last couple of days you'd have thought it was going to be weather armageddon!