Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stormy Wednesday 15th August 2012

AWD

Posted

just a wet and windy here this afternoon, but got torrential for a couple of minutes as the front passed, very similar to many a day in the washout june, very overrated event as they nearly always are

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Bit of a damp squib here in Bristol. Heavy rain from about 10 til 1. Winds squally but nothing severe.

Cant see what all the fuss was about to be honest.

Reading some of the posts on here in last couple of days you'd have thought it was going to be weather armageddon!

Here in Bristol it was, but in an urban area like Bristol that was always likely to be the case.

Around the west country, there were large rainfall totals over Exmoor, highlighted in Ian Fergussons weather forecast, an unfortunate incident involving a bus crash near Bath, Thunderstorms in East Dorset & parts of Wiltshire, flooded car parks in Gloucs.

Not a typical August day IMO.

Anyway, that's what we do in the Severe weather thread, big severe weather up! Lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

If you look to the SW of your area (Manchester) around Crewe I am sure it isn't a damp squib, There is still plenty of time left in today - don't write it off just yet ;-)

Yep reports on FB of thunder in Crewe today and there was a report of flash flooding at my friend's place of work.....so it must have really gone some. Unfortunately the one day I'm not in Crewe, there is interesting weather. Aaaahhhh well!

Posted

Yes -

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hester-19280220

News report on BBC iplayer which is unfortunately time limited and will expire shortly. Jump to 7mins 43 seconds -

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ght_16_08_2012/

Nothing on radar to suggest it was a tornado and more like a wind gust event to me. More like a bow echo wind gust.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4508958966922&set=a.4508951846744.183214.1379016721&type=1&theater

Yes this may be more likely, but you know that tornadoes and land spouts can form in bow echoes? You are not looking at a supercellular hook signature and unless you have doppler radar imagery you cannot rule out the possibiltity of a tornado. The localised wind damage and eye witness descriptions are supportive evidence also.

Posted

Yes this may be more likely, but you know that tornadoes and land spouts can form in bow echoes? You are not looking at a supercellular hook signature and unless you have doppler radar imagery you cannot rule out the possibiltity of a tornado. The localised wind damage and eye witness descriptions are supportive evidence also.

Totally agree i just think there is a lack of evidence to suggest it was a tornado. I only live 15 miles away and we had the worst squall ive ever seen so i can see why people think it could be a tornado with the way it just blasted in. Its good to see this type of weather getting air time even if it is 'beefed' up lol.

Edited by iamstuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

You're quite right, it would be a mistake to seek out a hook echo from such a meteorological event.

However, in my opinion, the evidence points more towards a powerful squall or bow echo feature than a tornado. Firstly, exceptionally strong winds as the editorial points out were felt regionally rather than just locally - are we suggesting there were many tornadoes?. Secondly, there were a succession of thunderstorms built in along the squall, while adding weight to the argument for a tornadic feature, also adds weight (stronger IMO) to a pretty strong downdraught/bow echo. For me, the clincher as to why it wasn't a tornado is the radar echo above...perfectly encircled above is a classic bow echo feature, caused by (you guessed) very very strong winds pushing ahead of a storm/squall.

Again, without a doppler/visual evidence we cannot be sure either way - but, evidence is more in favour (IMO) for a potent squall. In any case, both are equally spectacular meteorologically and get the adrenaline pumping when you're caught in one - would be nice to get one here at any time in the next 12 to 24 months!!!!

Yes the squall was regional - I posted on the north of England regional thread as it passed through north Cheshire to alert people further north and east, and it was as in the video posted by iamstuart. The fact is though that throughout this widespread event there appears to be only these isolated occurrences of damage which from various reports affected a small swathe to the southeast of Bolton.

Here is the ITV report -

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/update/2012-08-16/the-mini-tornado-that-caused-havoc-on-a-bolton-farm/

Highest wind gusts reported across the region were generally below 40mph - the highest were 69kph or just < 43mph at Blackpool and Emley Moor which both occurred several hours before the squall.

Manchester Hulme Library rooftop weather station recorded 63kph - 39mph during the squall.

Edited by Interitus

Posted

Highest wind gusts reported across the region were generally below 40mph - the highest were 69kph or just < 43mph at Blackpool and Emley Moor.

I can tell you now that the squall we had was gusting well over them figures. I person from preston also said the the gusts wasnt so bad so it seems that bowing in the radar was indeed a severe gust event but a localised one. ive seen severe gales round this area and this gust was prob worse. ive never seen rain blown about like that!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It was exactly the same down here: thunder, lightning, torrential rain and a howling gale...Just what LEWPs are made of?