Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted

Lots of Snaw Berries around at Palacerigg. Will they be right?

post-2849-0-81886100-1349628735_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-19889300-1349628741_thumb.jp

Cracking day here, although cloud rolling in now. 11C but set to start plunging shortly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Started sunny here, min of 6C (can't help it guv, it's all that warm water at the bottom of the garden). Went for another hilly potter where it was cloudy, cool and a bit windy (hat & gloves all day) but the SUN CAME OUT late afternoon so I tarried a while high up - and was entertained by a pair of silly ravens!

This was late afternoon - from the east Affric hills looking down towards Glenurquhart - and even a tiny triangle of Loch ness in the distance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Another cracking start today similar to yesterday.

Loving not working on a Monday anymore :)

-1C on the car when I departed @ 7am. Not fun when you have a flat battery and flat tyre. Grrrrr nea.gif

Happy days at Cheggers Towers then?!

We're off out to Harestanes for a nice autumn walk in a bit, can't wait to get out in the sun today. Will try and remember the camera for some pics :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Hoping one of you got some nice piccys this morning! At 6.30 this morning the fog was heavy round here and boy was it cold on the run - had my hood up like a moody teenager for the first mile! cold.gif The park benches were covered in ice, grass all frosty and car covered in a healthy layer again too!

Now blue sky and sunshine - lovely autumnal weather.

P.S don't envy you jump-starting etc in the cold this morning Cheggers! A bit cold to be faffing with spark plugs I imagine.

Edited by over_the_rainbow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

We only managed a low of 2.7oC overnight but there seemed to be much more frost this morning? 6.0oC at the moment and beautiful sunshine.

It was weird seeing the gritters out for the first time late last night. Can't remember seeing them so early before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Not sure what I am expecting this winter - so far all the signs in my little area of the world are that it's going to be a harsh winter (feeling in bones, it being bloody cold etc). However - I also have data to back things up - http://www.borderswe...uk/wxtrends.php this page is like a temperature league table, by all time (since 2007), by current month and by just this year. Also though - and more more visually impressive is the climate graph which shows that our lows this year have been a lot lower than usual - indeed the only month in 2012 that we have had a low above 3 was July when we dropped to 3.6. http://www.iiccp.co....co.uk/data.html notice that as well as this years impressive low temperatures - pay close attention to the yellow part of the graph which is the monthly average temperature and you can almost draw a diagonal line from the peak in 2007 to where we are now.......

(oh and if you don't like Celcius, it's a work in progress and might not work entirely as expected - but you can change to Farenheight by visiting http://www.bordersweather.co.uk/wxsettings.php but please note changing your units will store a cookie with your preferences)

Edited by Andrew Simon Jones

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Not sure what I am expecting this winter - so far all the signs in my little area of the world are that it's going to be a harsh winter ....

Your webcam has been on my bookmarks for some time - handy to see what conditions are like south of soutra when I'm at work in Edinburgh.

Posted

Beautiful sunny cold day today high of 9c currently 5c and going down fast.Really felt like winter today with a fresh NW wind. Two more calves born, soon dried off in the sun and on their feet for their first drink. I entirely agree with Andrew (post 336) that we have been on a cooling trend since 2007 with this mostly based on the length of the growing season on the farm which has got shorter even allowing for a very mild March this year as a cold spring/early summer wiped out any advantage and really slowed growth to a crawl.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Started sunny here, min of 6C (can't help it guv, it's all that warm water at the bottom of the garden). Went for another hilly potter where it was cloudy, cool and a bit windy (hat & gloves all day) but the SUN CAME OUT late afternoon so I tarried a while high up - and was entertained by a pair of silly ravens!

This was late afternoon - from the east Affric hills looking down towards Glenurquhart - and even a tiny triangle of Loch ness in the distance.

Now that makes me homesick...twenty years' life in the Highlands can have a very long-lasting affect on one's perspective...Great pics!good.gif

Posted

Just been outside and a bit of an aurora getting going spoiled by the massive lights of three huge tankers anchored in the Firth.

Posted

Just been outside and a bit of an aurora getting going spoiled by the massive lights of three huge tankers anchored in the Firth.

Hope the clear crisp weather holds, as we are up your way next week to see the outlaws.

6c here and dropping. Clouded over this afternoon after a beautiful, if strenuous morning (Car now sorted), but clear now with expected low of -3c

PS Something to amuse you all while we await the snaw...

A Glasgow woman goes to the dentist and settles down in the chair. "Comfy?" asks the dentist.

"Govan," she replies.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

3c this morning but dull.Cloud came in last night and prevented an air frost.Those still lifting tatties will be glad but inland high up areas should have had a frost which will help to ripen the late sown cereals in thes areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Morning, all! XC reckons it was -1 this morning in Embra, so I've come back here again now the weather's actually doing interesting things :)

Already got the First Woolly Jumper Of Winter on!

(might've mebbe missed you all. A bit. P'raps :p )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Another very frosty and foggy/with sunshine morning here too (-2C). Not a lot on this week with kids off school and it means that this morning I do not have to go out with my Stan Marsh ice scraper whilst muttering profanities.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Clear overnight and a fine tinge of blue all over the temperature map for Scotland..

3rd morning in a row of frost under High Pressure.

post-7292-0-43490100-1349767452_thumb.pn

Northern blocking seems to be the major trend just now on the models with some continued heights building consistently over Scandi / Greenland... just whether these synoptics hang about for Winter still to be seen.

Singularities suggest this period and from 24th October onwards is usually defined by more typical Autumnal storms and Atlantic zonal action.. certainly not a willingness for this at present. good to see the Jet, below, pointing elsewhere other than directly at us..

Definitely a good signal.

Scandi High & JS 72 Hrs UKMO

post-7292-0-65755100-1349767458_thumb.gi post-7292-0-02693600-1349767772_thumb.gi

Million dollar question for me remains where is ENSO going. Will be get our weak Nino Winter, will it remain neutral or will it be 1 of the 4 out of the last 50 years where it flips to Nina. Odds favour a neutral Winter, but weather likes to surprise.

Edited by lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

PS Something to amuse you all while we await the snaw...

A Glasgow woman goes to the dentist and settles down in the chair. "Comfy?" asks the dentist.

"Govan," she replies.

Idiot! rofl.gif

Overnight of 1.7oC and another nice sunny morning. Starting to cloud over a bit now as it did yesterday.

Really miffed that I didn't see the aurora last night. Going by the news it was really quite striking. Was it expected?

9.4oc now and don.t think it will get any higher.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Clear here with temps beginning to fall away. Now 5.5c from a max of 9.4c. Air min this morning was just under freezing at -0.3c.

Are the Northern Lights likely to be back tonight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

already down to 2.3 C here.

Some good pics of the northern lights here from the beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-19883715

_63388749_ochils_rob_walker.jpg

Edited by scottish skier