Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted

It really has been a cracking couple of days of weather. This morning again saw temperatures around the freezing mark and we had our most impressive frost of the season so far - a really spectacular day with fantastic autumnal colours and scenes aswell as having that chill in the air. Down to about 5C right now so it could be an ever colder night if cloud cover escapes this part of the country - also, is there any chance of seeing the northern lights tonight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Braw frost ths mornin. First proper jumper day.

Only downside i've got a feeling i'll have a lotta leaves to collect from the massive tree on the edge of my garden. :)

Roll on the snow.

Posted

Cracking day in all, and hoping the cloud will stay away to maybe see the lights again tonight.

This morning from Falkirk Wheel Car Park

post-2849-0-63313900-1349815091_thumb.jp

Chilly

post-2849-0-61588400-1349815090_thumb.jp

Posted

already down to 2.3 C here.

Some good pics of the northern lights here from the beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-19883715

_63388749_ochils_rob_walker.jpg

No sign of any aurora tonight still got cloud cover and I am not expert enough with the camera to capture them but the photo taken near Elgin in that series of pictures is what I saw last night. Currently 2c so if cloud clears there will certainly be a frost.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

No sign of any aurora tonight still got cloud cover and I am not expert enough with the camera to capture them but the photo taken near Elgin in that series of pictures is what I saw last night. Currently 2c so if cloud clears there will certainly be a frost.

We may yet get lucky.. http://helios.swpc.noaa.gov/ovation/Europe.html

PS Something to amuse you all while we await the snaw...

A Glasgow woman goes to the dentist and settles down in the chair. "Comfy?" asks the dentist.

"Govan," she replies.

I had to suspend my disbelief, do Glasgow women go to the dentist?!

I went out for a wee drive earlier this evening, for someone who has lived his whole life in or near large urban areas the stars tonight were awesome. Missed all the fun last night as I hadn't been paying attention :doh:

Posted

Another great start to the day - really enjoying this sunny Autumnal weather.

+4c here in Crail, -0.5c at Leuchars.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Another great start to the day - really enjoying this sunny Autumnal weather.

We best enjoy it today because it looks like all turning to pish tomorrow and friday! Ground on the Inch is still very saturated despite the sunshine over the past few days, so could be very marshy come the weekend (the Met Office has issued weather warnings for both days).

I see they are getting the big ramps out on the Winter thread already. I will keep my cautious hat on for now, because last winter never really got going here at least (though I think you did better in the Borders?).

Edited by over_the_rainbow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

We barely had winter last year in Edinburgh, but I'm enjoying the Ramping hugely :D

I think i mentioned before, we moved to Scotland when I was ten in august 1979, and I'd pretty much never seen any snow ever, so when 79-80 happened here I was thrilled and thought, "hey, this is what winter in Edinburgh is like, great!" and then had to wait til 2010-11 for another one like that... :p

As far as I can gather, because of the topography, for Edinburgh to get serious snow it has to come in from the East, and that just doesn't happen very often. Odd little snow flurries most years, 2-3 inches for 2-3 days, but I would so love another winter of knee-deep-for-months snow! Plus, the Cooncil's just invested in a mega-snow-demolisher-truck from Finland :)

Another still, bright, crisp, sunny, beautiful day here! Jumper is on, woolly socks are on, I'm ready for it! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

When I've got a bit of free time I'll have an initial look at the winter forecast. A lot of speculation around that it's going to be a cold one but I'll approach it with an open mind. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this bit of eyecandy:

gfs-0-108.png?12

archives-2009-12-16-12-0.png

Pity it's not December already....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Good to see you are still around LS, Monday evening on the east coast definitely of interest. Look forward to your summaries, always on point. Hope all is well and you're not working too hard..

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

When I've got a bit of free time I'll have an initial look at the winter forecast. A lot of speculation around that it's going to be a cold one but I'll approach it with an open mind. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this bit of eyecandy:

gfs-0-108.png?12

archives-2009-12-16-12-0.png

Pity it's not December already....

Aye, Aye!

Must be something in the air unsure.png

LS is aboot biggrin.png

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Don't put the wet suit and flippers away just yet!!! http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-19905357 doh.gif

Aye Cheggers,

Just so as we dinnae get any withdrawal symptoms eh! rolleyes.gif

The return o' the pish cray.gif

Big Innes

Posted

Fantastic day today with wall to wall sunshine,outstanding visibility, but a bit cool with a maximum of 13c and a moderate wind. Nice day for stripping a 40 year old fence where the posts have finally started to rot. We took the ground section off first as it is buried in soil and it is now dry and easier to dig out. Still harvesting in the area and 2 big balers baling a few fields away were sometimes invisible in the dust/fungal spores of the very ripe wheat straw that they kicked up.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Good to see you are still around LS, Monday evening on the east coast definitely of interest. Look forward to your summaries, always on point. Hope all is well and you're not working too hard..

Indeed, certainly possibilities for the high ground at least. Cheers, I've managed to strike a good balance between work and partying, but I feel one is likely to suffer when the snow comes around again rofl.gif

Aye, Aye!

Must be something in the air unsure.png

LS is aboot biggrin.png

Big Innes

Good to see you're still around biggrin.png Think it was the chill in the air that brought me back again, plus Joe Laminate Floori's warnings of snowpocalypse again on twittercold.gif

Posted

Possibly one of the best days of the year so far. Glorious October sunshine until late this evening, really stunning and ontop of this morning had the best frost of the autumn so far - a minimum of around -3C. There have been many an October that have had more frosty mornings than this year but nonetheless, it's sign that we are getting deeper into autumn and nearer towards winter. A real shame that this fantastic weather is set to end as the October holidays begin, a dire forecast for tomorrow too.....typical! laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Think it was the chill in the air that brought me back again,

Same here :) First white-lawn morning and my thoughts turned to LRF and NW and this thread!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Didn't get below 6.4oC overnight and a very misty, damp morning this morning. Currently 11.1oC with the sun breaking through. Doesn't look good however for the likes of NL,HC and others in the north from later tonight and all day tomorrow tho'. Oh dear, just what you DON'T need! I am not sure how Fife will do, but certainly not as bad as further up, that's for sure.

Posted

Bit wet outside but not as cold as it has been which is a saving grace I guess

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Evening all good.gif

Very wet and damp here - I think everywhere is though! Not let up in a while now. Certainly milder temperatures, but makes me want to go outside a lot less!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aye, dreich sums it up.

Interesting blocking scenarios appearing on the charts.

In the meantime....

Bloke turns up at his wedding in a kilt. Mate asks him 'Whit's the tart'n?'. Bloke replies 'Wedding dress of course'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Well it had to end eventually didn't it? A truly beautiful week of sunshine and I can say with confidence I made the best of it.......just in case it's all we get this autumn!

Pentlands at the weekend, Ben Venue on Tuesday, Beinn a'Chreachain yesterday. All were sunny and calm and with unrestricted views in every direction. The only thing missing was a foot of snow.....although I did manage to step in a tiny patch of the stuff on Beinn a'Chreachain. And I could see snowy remnants on Stob Binnein and Ben More.

Winter's coming!

post-10976-0-78504000-1349976745_thumb.j