Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Some random reading for anyone with five minutes to spare, I'd love to have the resources to research some of these storms and find out how severe they actually were:

storm news clip.pdf

Interesting article Catch, had a dig through the Archives for some charts to accompany the material.

October 21st 1874

post-7292-0-39381600-1351413038_thumb.gi

December 28th 1879

post-7292-0-27129200-1351413090_thumb.gi

October 14th 1881

post-7292-0-54538600-1351413182_thumb.gi

Finally, November 18th 1893 - which interestingly bears some relevance to synoptics today and the next 10 days if that Scandi ridge were to get going. Trough in situe with mid-atlantic high pressure.

post-7292-0-98981000-1351413447_thumb.gi

European windstorms are worth a look up on wikipedia, even now this bit of Scottish Banter still raises a smile.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

European windstorms are worth a look up on wikipedia, even now this bit of Scottish Banter still raises a smile.

Oh thanks for that - led me to click onwards and I found that our Jan 2 2012 humdinger is officially named Cyclone Ulli, which I hadn't known before! That's the one with the 102mph gust recorded at the weather station our attic windows look straight at, about 40 foot higher than us but nothing between it and us, so we think it's no coincidence that the 102mph gust was recorded that morning about 20 minutes before we all became aware that the house was oddly cool and draughty and went upstairs to find the huge heavy cast-iron Victorian skylight had been wrenched out of the sloping slated roof, buckling metal, shedding tiles, cracking plasterwork, etc...

Finally replaced three weeks ago - bloomin' hard to find a good roofer these days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Yeah, most roofers around here are either unreliable, useless, mendacious or all three. Not you, Brian, in case you're reading.

Cool, grey drizzly pish here, true autumnal fayre without the roast chestnuts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Grey day here, cold, overcast.

Why not feel the warmth and have a chuckle at this thread, funniest thing I have seen on netwx for some time.. !

Rather than repeat post, some analysis of the models from earlier, still plenty to keep a look out for in the near term. Extracted from the MOD thread as I know many of you don't often venture in.

Enjoy your last days on Earth !!!

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Why not feel the warmth and have a chuckle at this thread, funniest thing I have seen on netwx for some time.. !

We're Doooommmmeeeedddd, We're all Dooommmeeeedddd!!rofl.gif (what a bawheid)

Spent day over the river in Tillicoutry, and it pished it doon fir most of it. Brief glimmer of the yellow orb, but then grey again, and due to the clocks now very dark.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

In the interests of insanity...

Why do Scots wear kilts?

Cos sheep can hear zips being undone at 100m!

(Um told to me by a Welsh 'colleague'.)

Still grey (of a very dark hue) and damp cackiness, been as far as the bins 5m from the door today.

Posted

In the interests of insanity...

Why do Scots wear kilts?

Cos sheep can hear zips being undone at 100m!

(Um told to me by a Welsh 'colleague'.)

Still grey (of a very dark hue) and damp cackiness, been as far as the bins 5m from the door today.

Aye but did he explain about the Welsh and Wellies? rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

We're Doooommmmeeeedddd, We're all Dooommmeeeedddd!!

So it's ok to get stuck into the beer fridge again then? unknw.gif

Posted

So it's ok to get stuck into the beer fridge again then? unknw.gif

Reckon so...drinks.gif Did you need an excuse?

A pretty pish week ahead although there's at least the prospect of some hill snow.

I think I may soon be eating my words, the ones I wrote here not long ago about not going up hills in winter for fun any more. Been looking at old (pre-digital) photos of me and friends on Torridon hills in full winter mode and it's kindled a spark...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Grey day here, cold, overcast.

Rather than repeat post, some analysis of the models from earlier, still plenty to keep a look out for in the near term. Extracted from the MOD thread as I know many of you don't often venture in.

Lorenzo that was genius thank so much for that thread and I must say your replies were particularly funny....model analysis link appreciated too saves the pain of trolling through the dross

Nice to see SS talking about animals and weather again.... Forgot about the laughs that brought me last winter in this thread...

No seen my squirrel for ages.... Obviously awa squirrelling for food because there will be copious amounts of snow....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Nice morning here. Sunny but chilly at 4.4oC.

I think everyone's thoughts will be on the eastern side of the USA this morning. Was just reading the NW thread and Iceberg has just commented that pressure is now down to 946mbs and falling! My God, this could be an absolute catastrophe!

http://travel.aol.co...er/?icid=maing- I was surprised to read this from the Met Office this morning?. (Allegedly)

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Cool and cloudy. We're off to Linlithgow Palace for a wee day out today smile.png

Nice day for it Catch. Enjoy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Yes Blitzen was watching the early news this morning. I heard that New York had even suspended the subways etc. As much as I enjoy exciting weather I don't fancy a run in with Hurricane Sandy. They are certainly giving folks plenty of warning and hopefully people take heed!

Ahh yes and its grey and damp here, you know the drill.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

http://travel.aol.co...er/?icid=maing- I was surprised to read this from the Met Office this morning?. (Allegedly)

My cat has been saying similar, so there's probably truth to this.

As for Sandy - had not been following it but OMG. Looks huge. Scary.

hurricane_2381936c.jpg

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

06_72_preciptype.png?cb=943

06_84_preciptype.png?cb=943

Looks there may be some window of opportunity for some brief wintriness from thursday onwards ...

Posted

Nice enough day albeit it cold.

Yeah, pretty darn chilly but some fantastic skies, and an especially decent tone to the sky right now as we near dusk. A few showers during the day but there were clear spells throughout the day but have become more widespread during the afternoon and evening and right now there are only a few scattered clouds on the horizon - an especially nice autumnal evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

That US storm is something else... hurricane-force winds, ie over 100mph, for a distance of 175m radius of the eye... that's... I mean... strewth!!!

Edit: that'll teach me to add any kind of effort at knowledge :p

Hurricane = over 74mph...

Edited by BleakMidwinter

Did anyone else see the red shaft of light coming up from the sun at sunset tonight? I expected to see the Thundercats symbol at the top of it. The moon at moonrise was amazing too, was driving at the time so never really got a chance for photos.

Posted

A bright day with sunny intervels but a cool wind. Maximum of 8 c.Down to 2.4c now . Ground very wet again after a showery week end,not long before all cattle will be in for the winter.