Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I'll break the mould then... 7C and not pish, in fact quite pleasant with none of that windiness and some pale sunshine.

NL, do you take your cows back out if the weather improves and the ground isn't sodden? Just that seems to me that once cows here & further north are indoors, they stay in till spring.

Youngest HC is not guising tonight but has raided my collection of gruesome fillums to torment his friends with. Cue angry phone calls this evening from... ahem we'll leave it there for now, tempting fate now.

Posted

Right now it's pish! :p Cloud, Rain, That misty type of atmosphere which might mean rain might last a while..............yep it's autumn alright

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

It's fair stottin' oot there! Has been for a couple of hours now. 6.1oC and feeling chilly - no wind now tho'.

Here's Matt Hugo's outlook and thoughts for November for those that haven't seen it:

http://matthugo.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/november-2012-thoughts-analysis/

Posted

UK local time Regional warnings Weather Temperature

(°C) Wind speed & direction (mph) Wind gusts (mph) Visibility Humidity (%) Precipitation probability (%) Feels like

(°C) UV index Daily air quality index [bETA] 0000 No warnings Cloudy 3 8 No gusts Good 92 20 0 0 2 0300 No warnings Partly cloudy night 2 8 No gusts Good 92 20 -1 0 0600 No warnings Cloudy 2 9 No gusts Good 91 20 -2 0 0900 No warnings Light now shower day s 2 10 No gusts Good 92 40 -1 1 1200 No warnings Light shower day 4 10 No gusts Moderate 88 40 0 1 1500 No warnings Cloudy 3 9 No gusts Good 89 20 0 1 1800 No warnings Partly cloudy night 3 8 No gusts Very good 85 20 0 0 2100 No warnings Partly cloudy night 2 9 No gusts Very good 86 20 -2 0

The first snow symbol from the MetO has appeared for my area!!! clapping.gif

Edited by ruzzi (snowboy)

Posted

It's fair stottin' oot there! Has been for a couple of hours now. 6.1oC and feeling chilly - no wind now tho'.

Here's Matt Hugo's outlook and thoughts for November for those that haven't seen it:

http://matthugo.word...ughts-analysis/

Intriguing indeed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

For what it's worth:

UK Outlook for Thursday 15 Nov 2012 to Thursday 29 Nov 2012:

As is usual, there are uncertainties in the forecast for this period, but there are signs that, on the whole, the weather may become less unsettled than it has been. There is a signal for temperatures to stay largely below average for the time of year across much of the UK, with many places seeing somewhat drier conditions than normal for this time of year. Overnight frosts are likely to become more widespread with time.

Updated: 1157 on Wed 31 Oct 2012

Which I suppose would tie in with Matt Hugo...

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Still raining although not much now. Not been the rain clearing to showers day as expected

Posted

I suppose while the coming synoptics over the next week are two are not good for low level snow, they are reasonable for hill snow at times which could help build up a base at the ski resorts if accompanied by wind.

Dusting at Nevis Range today (webcam pic below) - Cairngorm similar from ~mid station up.

nevis-range.jpg

Lecht:

the-lecht.jpg

Glenshee:

glenshee.jpg

Cairngorm mid station:

ssc.jpeg

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

The snow has been coming and going on the mountains. Hopefully once the ground temperatures drop a wee bit there will be a base developing above 3000ft. See waht November brings us?acute.gif

Posted

Happy Halloween all.

Currently dark, overcast with heavy, damp clouds and some precipitation. Really chilly earlier, particulary combined with the wind and the steady rainfall and pretty dull and grey - a classic autumnal day with a strong atlantic influence which I don't mind at all at this time of year.

After what has been a cold, interesting and enjoyable October I am certainly looking forward to November which I am hoping for a seasonal and changeable month with some interesting weather at times, on the cool side and a few shots at cold spells and wintry weather - particulary later on. After reading Matt Hugo's blog and by the looks of the models, November could start off fairly seasonal, changeable and possibly cool and is looking like an interesting period to be following the weather. And what I find particulary interesting is Matt mentioning possibly a more blocked and colder than average second half to November - the stratosphere and model output and the late autumnal weather should be worth following during the coming weeks - and a lot to look forward to.

Posted

I'll break the mould then... 7C and not pish, in fact quite pleasant with none of that windiness and some pale sunshine.

NL, do you take your cows back out if the weather improves and the ground isn't sodden? Just that seems to me that once cows here & further north are indoors, they stay in till spring.

Youngest HC is not guising tonight but has raided my collection of gruesome fillums to torment his friends with. Cue angry phone calls this evening from... ahem we'll leave it there for now, tempting fate now.

Main bulk of cows and calves still out with just a few left to calve much healthier(spread out and infections diluted) viz pneumonia/scours but very wet weather would make us take them in to preserve the grass sward. Calves will be vaccinated for pneumonia when they come in.This cow was taken because she had milk fever and we will put her back out with her new calf tomorrow as the next few days look dryish.

However they will all be in on the 20th November in any case as bull comes home from his summer holidays and they will start turnips behind an electric fence going in and out every day. At the moment they are in one of our gravelly fields and hence fairly fee draining. Nice clear night and currently 2c

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A wet and cool day here. Still cloudy now but the light rain has stopped. 3.5C.

Posted

Clear & cooling, now at 3C. Ms HC just back from west coast, reports car thermometer at 0C much of the way, and - shock, horror - gritters out and about & actually gritting ohmy.png . Wonders will never cease. She also likes the Wintracs, especially as they're quieter than the ATs so she can listen to the Archers blink.png.

Posted

Not as bad an evening as expected, little wind and no rain made the kids trick or treating more bearable, but it was still freezing cold. Down to 1C now.

Posted

Think Fog might become a issue at 1 point. Was threatning to sunday night but kept coming and going which was annoying

Posted

After a wet day with a front clearing to the east, skies have cleared with a mosaic of cloud and clear patches in the sky earlier - clouds have a tint of purple/the orange glow of Glasgow in a dark sky. Other than last year, I think in previous years Halloween evening have been quite similar. Certainly a side of weather at this time of year that I like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Cold and dank with a milky full(ish) moon - atmospheric for Halloween. My wee werewolves stayed bright eyed and bushy tailed whilst oot guising, soggy is not a good look. We now have enough sweets to open a shop and with the possibility of glimpsing a bright yellow thing in the sky tomorrow, life is good.

Posted

The fog is brewing. Hope it lingers. Weird but I like fog that lingers for a while during the day especially at this time of year

Posted

Nice clear skies here as well and currently -2c . Surface of ground dried up with a skin of frost, nice dung spreading day. We have had probably had about 6 air frosts this autumn now,much colder than last autumn.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Some chilly nights ahead this week looking at the overnight temps dropping to minus one to three degrees.

Couple of charts from Net Wx Xtra around the snow chances for the ski resorts and elevated areas.

You can see the altitude is important, snow at the right level and sleety mix lower down, a neat little pocket of 528 dam air across the middle of the country. Get out those links for the ski webcams SS posted yesterday. Should be some nice scenic pictures around this week with the remains of Autumn vs Winter creeping in.

post-7292-0-81083300-1351756694_thumb.pn post-7292-0-44532400-1351756699_thumb.pn

Posted

The fog is brewing. Hope it lingers. Weird but I like fog that lingers for a while during the day especially at this time of year

0C, frostiness on grass, shrubs, cars etc. and vaguely foggy, seems to be thickening. Can bag some up for you if you're keen blum.gif

9:05 edit - sunny now!

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Get out those links for the ski webcams SS posted yesterday. Should be some nice scenic pictures around this week with the remains of Autumn vs Winter creeping in.

http://www.winterhighland.info/weather/

Something to watch in the GFS.

t850Aberdeenshire.png

http://www.winterhig...d.info/weather/

ECM and GFS are quite similar at +240, although the ECM takes the cold a couple of hundred miles out into the Atlantic rather than over the uk.

If you're weird for liking freezing fog then I will gladly be called weird too. A couple of winters ago we had fog which stayed for four days, that was amazing.

Posted

http://www.winterhig...d.info/weather/

That op has been teasing for a couple of days but seems to be ploughing a bit of a lonely furrow.

The Winterhighland website is good, thanks for that one, goes straight to my list of top bookmarks.