Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted

Cold morning here and currently 3C with some shower clouds in the area and some intervals of blue skies and sunshine. Some showers arrived during the early hours so I'm not sure whether it snowed here - possibly something sleety - but it's great to hear that OTR had something overnight. Google earth weather stations shows snow falling in Stirling and Perth. Cold temperatures further east with an air frost for many and a cold one at Aboyne with -6C. Radar shows some showers further out in the west and hopefully if the conditions here are just right, there could be something wintry here and elsewhere. Nevertheless, it's been a very decent first few days of November with cold nights and days, some clear skies and sunshine aswell as showers. I'm sure that tonight will be another cold and another air frost for many.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

That big sleet shower should be with you soon smile.png

Unfortunately it seems PT conditions are currently higher than the equilibrium univariant Ih+L phase boundary for the single component H2O system, placing things comfortably in the L region.

In other words, it's raining.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Just had a rain shower but looking into the clouds I could see the snow flakes high up in the sky. If the temperature somehow managed to fall and a heavier shower came along then there could be a small chance of brief wet snow.

Posted

Coldest night of the Autumn so far here at +0.6c. 6c now, mostly cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Clear and cold here this morning. A covering of snow from an early shower up at my mums in Aberfeldy this morning. Another snow lying [9AM] daygood.gif .Nice to hear reports from around Perth as well.

Another air frost here this morning. Far more than last Autumn already.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Turned out to be a lovely cold, sunny autumn day with a few showers. I heard that there was snow at Faifley at around 6am which isn't far away from here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Thought I would celebrate my 2000 post by saying..

It's November, It's Baltic, It's Scotland at its finest.

Cheers All, here's to a the Best little regional thread on this or any other forum and a cracking Winterdrinks.gif

post-7292-0-35077900-1351972184_thumb.jp

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Unfortunately it seems PT conditions are currently higher than the equilibrium univariant Ih+L phase boundary for the single component H2O system, placing things comfortably in the L region.

In other words, it's raining.

For all those doon sooth and in the MT who worry about T850's, evaporative cooling and likelihood of snaw - you've never had it so good! I remember my childhood when we had NO weather as seen by this BBC Scotland forecast at the time..

Posted

Evening all, still recovering from the wife's birthday bash. one too many cans of Bud.

Lovely cold crisp day here.

Going to be working on an update to the Kilted Weather tool over the next few days, so any suggestions\requests let me know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Some drizzle earlier this evening that I thought in my wild chrome optimism might be snow... but no, 'twas just wet.

Can the Kilted Weather Tool have a 'WANT SNOW NOW' button and (for those in wetter parts) a 'STOP RAINING NOW' button?

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Very cold, very frosty and very sunny. What a glorious morning!

Same here Catch, lovely morning! Temp on the up at 0.5c after an overnight low of -0.7c.

Must be quite a surprise for those in the Somerset area this morning? post-1989-0-53281300-1352018409_thumb.jppost-1989-0-04431900-1352018900_thumb.jp

Matt Hugo's blog for the month of November for anyone interested:

http://matthugo.word...ughts-analysis/

Edited by Blitzen

Very cold and grey here, currently 1c.

Grey? We must have stolen the sun!

Same here Catch, lovely morning! Temp on the up at 0.5c after an

Morning Blitzen, how are you? It's looking a little milder after today so make the most of the cold faux winter conditions :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Grey? We must have stolen the sun!

Morning Blitzen, how are you? It's looking a little milder after today so make the most of the cold faux winter conditions good.gif

I'm good Catch.

Keeping an open mind re the winter season this year, but it's certainly been interesting so far! Who knows, with the set up that we have currently re the state of the strat and polar vortex, it may be a learning curve for us all. I always lean towards winter holding off until mid December for a better season.

Had an e mail from my neighbours yesterday who have moved to Cyprus for a year. They are sitting in 30.c still! They have asked us to put their heating on low as they have heard from family how chilly it has been here. Will I, won't I?laugh.png

post-1989-0-32827700-1352021890_thumb.jppost-1989-0-97362300-1352021931_thumb.jppost-1989-0-50877900-1352021957_thumb.jp

Another few pics from the Bath area.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Was -3 C at around 8.00 this morning. Was probably lower during the night but need to dig out the weather station data cable and start collecting data again if I'm going to want such info.

Still below zero at -0.6 C. Garden white with a very picturesque hoar frost.

Posted

but need to dig out the weather station data cable and start collecting data again if I'm going to want such info.

Which, having put that thought into my head, has now become an important task. More so as I haven't seen said cable since last year pre-extension following which my office space has moved completely, and of course I can't find it now.

*!$$%*!"#! is all I can say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

You're a step ahead of me SS, I need to get a Weather Station !!

Meanwhile, will make do with this synop chart. Scotland looking a nice shade of blue in the 12 hr minimum temps.

post-7292-0-12642500-1352028071_thumb.pn

Sunday business now. Fireworks bought, Stovies getting made and out with the Chef Hat for some fine Steak & Ale Casserole. Bring It On..

post-7292-0-20274800-1352028157_thumb.jp

Edited by lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Weather station here is now a manual jobby - proper enclosed funnel rain gauge and decent min/max in the shade. the old expensive wireless piece of onion faeces disintegrated after about 4 years so not recommended.

Mild and partly sunny here, very little wind so the firth is quite reflective. Nice...

Posted

Which, having put that thought into my head, has now become an important task. More so as I haven't seen said cable since last year pre-extension following which my office space has moved completely, and of course I can't find it now.

*!$$%*!"#! is all I can say.

Ya dunderheid, ye just need tae press thon button right in the middle o the readout and it'll gie ye recent min and max; nae cable needed.

Anyhoo, turns out last night's min was -3 C. Currently +3.4 C and on the way down again. Clear, crisp and cold; lovely autumn day.

Looks like patches of last nights frost may survive the day where they were in good shade.

EDIT

As an aside; next week will be one of interesting contrasts weather-wise for me. Off to Saudi Arabia via Bahrain for 2 nights, then back to Scotland for one before nipping over to Norway for a night. Obviously, with work as no sane person would plan this specific itinerary as a holiday.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Temperature here failed to go below freezing and it's been mostly cloudy, dry and calm today with little sunshine but now there are just a few clear patches in the thin cloud cover that has persisted for much of the day. Hopefully it'll be a lovely, clear, crisp night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

It has been milder here today with the max reaching 7.1C in sunshine. Min was -1.7C givng the 7th air frost this Autumn here.

Last year the first air frost was very late on the 2nd December so quite a contrast..