Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

The Winterhighland website is good, thanks for that one, goes straight to my list of top bookmarks.

I wonder if we can incorporate the webcams into the kilted weather tool?

Posted

That op has been teasing for a couple of days but seems to be ploughing a bit of a lonely furrow.

The Winterhighland website is good, thanks for that one, goes straight to my list of top bookmarks.

The webcam of Glencoe is looking particularly beautiful this morning.

www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

Edited by NW Leeds Russ

Posted

The webcam of Glencoe is looking particularly beautiful this morning.

www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

Certainly is

summit.jpeg

mainbasin.jpeg

mid.jpeg

Posted

I wonder if we can incorporate the webcams into the kilted weather tool?

Will look at this later and update you all.

Nice chilly start here @ 7am 0C. Some cloud about.

Posted

Nice clear skies here as well and currently -2c . Surface of ground dried up with a skin of frost, nice dung spreading day. We have had probably had about 6 air frosts this autumn now,much colder than last autumn.

Currently 3c at 12.30pm with wall to wall sunshine but frost hanging on very well in the shade. Not long to the frst ice day !!!!!!

Posted

Really has got quite gloriously sunny all of a sudden. What a lovely end to the day

Posted

Really has got quite gloriously sunny all of a sudden. What a lovely end to the day

It's cleared up after some showers earlier. A pretty cold day too and a lovely late autumn afternoon sky as the sun is about to set. Wonderful sunshine earlier in the afternoon aswell.

Posted

Just back from a glorious snowy walk along the Tarmachan ridge. Mostly cosmetic snow but it's a start!

NAE shows a fair bit of hill snow around over the next few days. Should continue with the current synoptics.

12110200_0112.gif

12110212_0112.gif

12110306_0112.gif

12110312_0112.gif

Certainly looking nice for the higher, western peaks. Nevis Range and Glencoe could catch quite a bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Some fresh snow on the hills visible to the west of here too although can't really say to what level from here - not that low.

Maxed at 4C today and falling away now although cloud cover - already visible to the west - will keep us frost free tonight I'd expect.

Just went for a peep at the MWIS forecast for the weekend and was greeted by

'Hi, I'm Rebecca, remember me?' with some desperately bad photo of (supposedly) Rebecca. No I Lettuceing don't remember you.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Rather dreich out there right now. Very decent at around 5pm but an organised band of showers has arrived bringing rainfall and temperatures quite low between 3 and 5C in the area - pretty decent for November. An interesting spread of temperatures across Scotland too, close to 1 to 2C further east of the showers and a few spots in the highlands already close to -3C.

Posted

Could this be the first signs of HP trying to push to the N/NE of us, as per Matt Hugo and metO forecasts?

ECMWF

ecmslp.240.png

GFS

airpressure.png

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Aye, cold one today, frost consistent throughout in shaded areas as it struggled to push far past 2c, currently -0.7c.

Having already made our way through the contents of the log shed in the past few weeks I went and got a load of fire wood in the local area. Got chatting to the guy who runs the business and asked what his forecast was for the approaching winter, verdict - not as cold as usual and with a fair bit more rain than normal winters. I have no idea of his methods, success rates or indeed any present indications pointing to such weather, but I hope that lovely gentleman is very wrong as that just sounds like an extended Autumn unsure.png

Posted

Aye, cold one today, frost consistent throughout in shaded areas as it struggled to push far past 2c, currently -0.7c.

Having already made our way through the contents of the log shed in the past few weeks I went and got a load of fire wood in the local area. Got chatting to the guy who runs the business and asked what his forecast was for the approaching winter, verdict - not as cold as usual and with a fair bit more rain than normal winters. I have no idea of his methods, success rates or indeed any present indications pointing to such weather, but I hope that lovely gentleman is very wrong as that just sounds like an extended Autumn unsure.png

Reminded me of this old joke. Sorry if its been around before (especially if I posted it) but here goes:

A frontiersman has recently moved to the wild west.

He’s out chopping wood ahead of the winter and notices an old red Indian man walking past. Trying to get to know the locals, he calls him over. They chat a bit and out of interest, he asks the Indian what he thinks the winter will be like. The Indian goes quiet, slowly gazes around, then turns back to the man and says ‘Winter cold with snow’. The man thanks him and the Indian wanders off. Thinking about what the Indian said, the man figures he’d better chop more firewood. So, he gets cracking again.

A week passes and he’s built up a fair pile of firewood. He’s just finished chopping when he sees the Indian again. Keen to be friendly he calls him over again. After a chat they get round to the subject of the winter. Once again, the Indian goes quiet and slowly gazes around taking everything in. The then turns back to the man and says ‘Winter very cold. Many, many snows’. The man thanks him and off wanders the Indian. Looking at the pile of firewood he’s cut, the man now worries again he’s not cut enough. So, off he goes again with his chopping.

Another week passes and the man is just adding the last logs to his now huge pile when he spots the Indian again. Starting to feel he’s met a useful friend, he calls him over again. They go through the usual chat before turning to the winter weather again. Once more, the Indian goes silent for a time, slowing gazing around and taking everything in. Finally, he turns back to the man and says ‘Winter terrible, very long, lasting many moons. Snow many times and deep’. The man is slightly worried at the prospect but thanks him. Turning back to his firewood pile he again thinks it looks a little small. He lifts up the axe to get cracking again but pauses, turns back to the Indian who’s walking away. He shouts him back and says ‘Sorry, I just wanted to ask one thing. Your winter weather thoughts are impressive, but may I ask what you base them on? Is it signs in nature, animal behaviour, plants and trees or something?’ The Indian replies ‘When white man cut a lot of firewood, bad winter coming.’

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

2c at the moment could see snow above 2000ft tonight!

Posted

2c at the moment could see snow above 2000ft tonight!

I think snow may be closer than that to you. Being an imperial snow addict as a kid one of the first weather rules I learned was 1f drop for every 300 feet in old money that means at 2c or 36f at your level then its more like a 1600 feet freezing level and snow falling and possibly lying. In my neck of the woods that means the tops of the Cawdor hills should be white at 2c at my level. In fact today has felt like real midwinter weak sun frost lying in the shade all day and currently -1c and you can almost smell the snow coming. I stand to be corrected if I "ve remembered wrongly.

Posted

I think snow may be closer than that to you. Being an imperial snow addict as a kid one of the first weather rules I learned was 1f drop for every 300 feet in old money that means at 2c or 36f at your level then its more like a 1600 feet freezing level and snow falling and possibly lying. In my neck of the woods that means the tops of the Cawdor hills should be white at 2c at my level. In fact today has felt like real midwinter weak sun frost lying in the shade all day and currently -1c and you can almost smell the snow coming. I stand to be corrected if I "ve remembered wrongly.

That's probably about right. I've always had the metric 1 C per 100 m in my head, less in moist/saturated air.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Heavy sleet here at the moment!

Posted

I think it's sleeting here also after an early frost. It's the first night of the season I've got the train home after work and the car's been frozen before 6pm. Can't wait for the first heavy snow's :D (Assuming they happen of course)

BBC weather mentioned snow down to quite low levels across Scotland tonight, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pentlands with their first dusting of snow in the morning :)

Posted

Peltin doon at Drumochter. Fair covering now.

http://trafficscotland.org/lev/

Winter tyre moment anyway...

EDIT. Liquid snow here now, 2.3 c.

post-9421-0-79306100-1351811909_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

PPN approaching from the south-west (as now) for us means 2 things. 1 - it'll be rain not snow by the time it gets here, and 2 - it'll fizzle out before it gets here. (Helps that I know it's 3C though blum.gif )

Forecast looks good for a day out on Sunday...

Posted

PPN approaching from the south-west (as now) for us means 2 things. 1 - it'll be rain not snow by the time it gets here, and 2 - it'll fizzle out before it gets here. (Helps that I know it's 3C though blum.gif )

Forecast looks good for a day out on Sunday...

So Sunday is torrential rain? Always get daggers looks when I suggest on a very wet day that as we can"t get much done outside on the farm that its great weather for a day out!!!!!!!

Posted

So Sunday is torrential rain? Always get daggers looks when I suggest on a very wet day that as we can"t get much done outside on the farm that its great weather for a day out!!!!!!!

Well I hope not... I want a view from my hill (not in the MR James sense, mind).

PPN passed by, drily. NS, your altitude is combien?