Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - October 22nd 2012>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Driving to work today I encountered nothing much worse than mist, but it's still here.

It's cleared a bit here now but it's still a horrible grey and damp day - bring on the frost and cold !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, lots of it.

Hit the qoute button like I have, then hit Post. Then quote someone else's comment and they should all automatically get bunched together.

LIKE SO! biggrin.png

Hi Vertical Limit, I'm pleased you've decided to join in the fun at last good.gif

There is a regional group meet up (the first of many such events I hope) on December 8th, this time it's in Milton Keynes so let me know if you feel brave enough to meet some of us crazy people face to face crazy.gif

Oh yes seat belts tightly fastened please.....and when we hit turbulence I will be passing though the cabin with the chill pills !

angel.gif

As PS has said or hit multiquote on all the posts you want to reply to !

As others have said, welcome Vertical Limit!good.gif

Driving to work today I encountered nothing much worse than mist, but it's still here.

Thanks again everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

The fog is quite dense here at Canary Wharf, flights badly affected from City Airport. Wasnt too bad out west lond when I left home this morning, but it got worse when I went past Putney and towards London. One of those days where it wont actually get properly light ! Roll on crisp sunny weather later this week. Have a good day weather fans and experts...drinks.gif

Posted

Yellow Warning of Fog for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Buckinghamshire, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham, Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Greater London, Kent & Medway

Yellow Warning of Fog for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Luton, Essex, Norfolk, Peterborough, Southend-on-Sea, Suffolk & Thurrock

Issued at: 1116 on Mon 22 Oct 2012

Valid from: 1800 on Mon 22 Oct 2012

Valid to: 1100 on Tue 23 Oct 2012

Fog will become fairly extensive across many parts of England and Wales during Monday evening and overnight into Tuesday, with the visibility falling to 100-300 metres and locally 50 metres over hills.

The public should be aware that low visibility may lead to some disruption to travel.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=5F52954A-5196-4095-7C7C-87DC4C89BF20_1_SE

Posted

Fog Off ! smile.png

Wanted a couple of sunshine days before the first taste of cold arrived... oh well...

Edited by Buzzit

Posted

I thought the fog was just outside, but it could be in my mind as well today

brain-fog.jpg?w=150

Posted

I thought the fog was just outside, but it could be in my mind as well today

I was wondering if it was you to blame, I thought you might have got one of these....

post-10773-0-76078400-1350903356_thumb.j

...I know how you like your boys toys and gadgets !

Posted

Nope, I hate fog unless it's just swirling around the ground during a September sunrise:

gallery_6667_973_28096.jpg

http://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/album/973-september-sunrise-over-sussex/

I remember listening to the radio as a kid during late Autumn mornings and it seemed like we were always hearing about motorway pile ups that occurred in dense fog. Let's hope this isn't one of those occasions please.

Posted

Let's hope this isn't one of those occasions please.

Hopefully not, there is no doubt that fog is to blame for many a pile up - certainly would help if some folk put their rear fog lamps on though !

Something very magical and spooky about fog when it's over fields.......you always expect something scary to suddenly appear ph34r.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Hopefully not, there is no doubt that fog is to blame for many a pile up - certainly would help if some folk put their rear fog lamps on though !

Something very magical and spooky about fog when it's over fields.......you always expect something scary to suddenly appear ph34r.png

Jason T? rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Thanks for the welcome everytone. I'm not sure how to reply to multi posts all at once, if that is possible!

I am buckled up and ready for the fun with valium to hand if we should get a repeat of 2011. LOL.

Welcome Vertical Limit, especially as you're a fellow Bromleyite! I hope we see plenty of snow in the Bromley area this winter, and in the S.E.in general.

Would also be nice to see a couple of Thames Streamer events, as you're probably aware, they are responsible for producing some of our heaviest snowfalls in the Bromley area. Love a trek up to Biggin Hill when these events come along but you can get stuck up there!

Regards,

Tom

TomRrea00120090202.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Would also be nice to see a couple of Thames Streamer events, as you're probably aware, they are responsible for producing some of our heaviest snowfalls in the Bromley area. Love a trek up to Biggin Hill when these events come along but you can get stuck up there!

Regards,

Tom

Rrea00120090202.gif

This event also brought some snow to Oxford, so i would happily like to see a potent easterly and for you lucky few who live near the thames in London you can have the streamer turned on :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I think we didn't do at all well from that event at home. Although London was hit hard, it apparently became sleety very quickly here, on the Essex coast and tbh all the years since have delivered us something far better.

I wasn't fussed though, as I was in Mauritius at the time.cool.png

Posted

I think we didn't do at all well from that event at home. Although London was hit hard, it apparently became sleety very quickly here, on the Essex coast and tbh all the years since have delivered us something far better.

If we do get something lets make it a week, maybe 10 days or more please? Can't stand the single day of white and then a fast melt to sludgy heaps of grey and gravel laden mountains in Tesco's car park.

I wasn't fussed though, as I was in Mauritius at the time.

I would have much the same attitude and hopefully will!

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Welcome vl.

Lots of fun people on here,pop into chat if you dare(it can get a bit crazy at times).

Hope to see you there, floatyx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

If we do get something lets make it a week, maybe 10 days or more please? Can't stand the single day of white and then a fast melt sludgy heaps of grey and gravel laden mountains in Tesco's car park.

Yes Coast, my sentiments entirely. It's why I can't get really excited about the upcoming cold spell, apart from it possibly being notable for the time of year.

Posted

sludgy heaps of grey and gravel laden mountains in Tesco's car park.

I like this line - it's almost Morrissey-esque in its bleak humour!

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted

Let's hope no one has bought tickets to go to the top of the Shard in London today. I've just arrived in the London Bridge area and it just disapears into the fog!

Posted

I like this line - it's almost Morrisey-esque in its bleak humour!

Sorry if it came across like that, It's just that when we do get a snow event here it is so relatively short lived, you begin to wonder what all the days of excitement and hope leading up to it were all about? I'd like a proper 10 day blast that blocks the car in the drive, but lets me walk to the hills to play in it please!

Posted

Sorry if it came across like that, It's just that when we do get a snow event here it is so relatively short lived, you begin to wonder what all the days of excitement and hope leading up to it were all about? I'd like a proper 10 day blast that blocks the car in the drive, but lets me walk to the hills to play in it please!

I sympathise Coast - there was a weekend last winter when we were in Brighton and it chucked it down with driving sleet and cold rain. As soon as we got a mile or 2 inland snow had settled, and at home in Reigate there was 5 inches of powdery snow.

As the John Cleese character in Clockwise says - "It's not the despair. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand!"

AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, lots of it.

Welcome Vertical Limit, especially as you're a fellow Bromleyite! I hope we see plenty of snow in the Bromley area this winter, and in the S.E.in general.

Regards,

Tom

TomRrea00120090202.gif

Hi Tom, thanks for the welcome. I hear that Thames streamers are great for our neck of the woods. I remember that event in Feb 2009, a real heavy battering of snow in a short space of time - wonderful stuff. I remember Nov 30th 2010 and how it snowed for 3 days non stop leading to accumulations of about 18 - 20 inches - was that a result of a Thames streamer too?. I think Orpington station even got a mention on the national news as it was closed for a couple of days so our location got a real pasting. Let's hope we get a repeat this year - fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Hi VL,

Here's the 500hpa chart for midnight 1st Dec 2010, yes certainly tell-tale signs of a Thames streamer in that synoptic profile. You can see the kink (trough/convergence zone)in the isobars, lying over the southern N.Sea/Thames Estuary, which resulted in heavy and prolonged snow showers in our area.

http://www.wetterzen...00120101201.gif

Orpington is in a favourable position to catch decent snowfall from a Thames Streamer event, where it sits on the London/Kent border and the area is quite hilly in parts with ground rising to 300/400 feet in places. I find you can add on a few inches at least re Orpingtons snowfall compared to lower parts of the Bromley area.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomSE20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Afternoon all, i had a job in orpy in Dec 2010 at they had nearly a foot of the white stuff up by Chelsfield was mad as where i am in Crayford we only had 5/6 cms :)