Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Lucky you. It was frosty and brightish first thing in south Manc, but has steadily fogged up since then. Temp wobbled up from -1 to 2ish, now back down to 1C. Visibility below 250m in Trafford Park. Looks like a similar story at the airport.

Yeah ,i'll second that ,this morning ,cloudy and frosty then it seriousil fogged up and now the air temp is 0.4c.What has confused me with my inadequate knowledge is the fact that yesterday ,despite it getting to 3c max in sunshine,frost stayed around all day yet today with a top temperature ,so far and dropping of 0.9,,the frost has melted though the ground is frozen. Edited by greybing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Max today 2.4C.. bird pond remained frozen all day.. well, that is until one of my dogs knocked it over and it smashed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Lucky you. It was frosty and brightish first thing in south Manc, but has steadily fogged up since then. Temp wobbled up from -1 to 2ish, now back down to 1C. Visibility below 250m in Trafford Park. Looks like a similar story at the airport.

As i said earlier, this mornings fog was quite unusual up here.

We get plenty of crap weather but not much fog.

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything really

Well, someone looking to navigate the Huddersfield Narrow Canal today might be disappointed as it has remained frozen today as well as the locks.

Let's hope it thaws out soon.

Milder but wetter weather looking probable Monday before fluctuating temperatures kick in

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Well, someone looking to navigate the Huddersfield Narrow Canal today might be disappointed as it has remained frozen today as well as the locks.

Let's hope it thaws out soon.

Milder but wetter weather looking probable Monday before fluctuating temperatures kick in

TBH I think it looks to be an interesting week coming up.

Unsettled Atlantic spell with coolish uppers could give some surprises to the region in the coming days.

I think that the Pennines, Lakes, NY Moors etc will always be favourite for settling snow but I wouldn't rule out some at lower levels, esspecially if a NW airflow pushes showers into Merseyside and through the Cheshire gap.

I don't think for one minute we are talking disruptive snow but it could start to look just a little festive as we start December and one bonus is that Diane Oxberry won't be saying "at least it will be mild" much in the coming days.

Anyway welcome to Net Weather SouthPennine88

Posted

That dreaded word... marginal.

It looks very marginal for the North East tonight.

I'm ever the optimist though, so I think we'll get some laying snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

How come we never get these features pushing down enveloped in sub -5 850s? Irks me summat chronic!

Posted

How come we never get these features pushing down enveloped in sub -5 850s? Irks me summat chronic!

Don't know but the spoiler probably ends with Stream and starts with either Gulf or Jet

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The colder the air the drier the air generally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A perfect winters day here, bright, calm, cold - this thin high cloud has really lessened the suns power this afternoon so most places have been frosty white all day and not just in the shade.

The temp reached 1.2c in my back garden but for many inland it has remained at or below 0c, I left Keswick about 3pm and the car was showing -1.0c.

Current temp -0.4c

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

GFS shows a little bit of precipitation moving south, but nothing worth noting really.

And as soon as it was smashed.. the water is again beginning to freeze over. If only it could stay clear all night, could have been a bitter night.

Posted

And as soon as it was smashed.. the water is again beginning to freeze over. If only it could stay clear all night, could have been a bitter night.

As a consolation it Looks as if we could see some persistent snow pushing in around 2am. I suspect the pennines may kill the precipitation as shown on the NAE but we could see a couple of cm's.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Only 1.5C max today- I sense that today's maximum temperature will be reached just before the front comes over. I expect rain/sleet to start off with, maybe turning to snow if it is heavy enough on the northern flank, and that would imply temperatures higher than 1.5C. The temperature is currently at -0.1C so presumably it will continue to fall a little before rising significantly as the front approaches.

What time will the front reach manchester, debating if I should do some lamp post watching as it is only marginal.

I'd go for between 12:00am - 2:00am for it to arrive. Going to get some Wine in tonight and do a bit of Lamp post watching myself, I do honestly think we'll see some wet snow & sleet falling for a time.

Posted

Fantastic day for working outdoors, everything dry and ground frozen hard.

Max temp today of 0.3C due to cloud cover, everywhere still covered in thick frost, temp now -0.4C and dropping fast.

Be nice to see a bit of the white stuff come morning but I'm not getting my hopes up! Fingers crossed.

Posted

I'd go for between 12:00am - 2:00am for it to arrive. Going to get some Wine in tonight and do a bit of Lamp post watching myself, I do honestly think we'll see some wet snow & sleet falling for a time.

Liking you're positive attitude :-) think I will do the same (including the wine) and that's not to late to stay up does seen strange if we don't see a slight dusting seen as its so cold.

Posted

Only 1.5C max today- I sense that today's maximum temperature will be reached just before the front comes over. I expect rain/sleet to start off with, maybe turning to snow if it is heavy enough on the northern flank, and that would imply temperatures higher than 1.5C. The temperature is currently at -0.1C so presumably it will continue to fall a little before rising significantly as the front approaches.

I suspect the front will be primarily of snow. Looking at the NAE there'll be colder 850's undercutting the front. 850's of -4 later dropping to -5. Eastern areas should fare the best as further inland there are milder 850s of -3/-4. Conversely a possible onshore breeze may hold temperatures eavening out the situation across the region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything really

TBH I think it looks to be an interesting week coming up.

Unsettled Atlantic spell with coolish uppers could give some surprises to the region in the coming days.

I think that the Pennines, Lakes, NY Moors etc will always be favourite for settling snow but I wouldn't rule out some at lower levels, esspecially if a NW airflow pushes showers into Merseyside and through the Cheshire gap.

I don't think for one minute we are talking disruptive snow but it could start to look just a little festive as we start December and one bonus is that Diane Oxberry won't be saying "at least it will be mild" much in the coming days.

Anyway welcome to Net Weather SouthPennine88

Thank you very much! Always exciting to join in with the discussion especially at a time like this.

A fair few members from the North on here may well remember the 2nd (or 1st it might have been) of December 2008, where a cold shot similar to this resulted in a covering for the usual places including a widespread covering around the Pennines and Cumbria of around 8cm ... Perhaps tonight's forecast snowfall might just provide something similar? I have light snow forecast here from 2am until 6am, hopefully the thaw won't be too quick in the day and at least it won't cause too much disruption.

That cold snap stands out for me because it was so localized as I said ... there was nothing lower down in Manchester.

Still it was a very decent fall

Edited by SouthPennine88

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

It never got above 1.6c here today, currently -0.2c and a Dew point of -2.5c.

Posted

Precipitation only light to moderate on radar.

Liking you're positive attitude :-) think I will do the same (including the wine) and that's not to late to stay up does seen strange if we don't see a slight dusting seen as its so cold.

If it was only going to come through at 4am I wouldn't bother staying up for it, but as I think it'll be knocking at the door shortly after midnight I think its well worth staying up for and seeing the outcome. It will be crossing our region the perfect time of the night when it will be as cold as the conditions will allow, so fingers crossed! :)