Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion ~ November 19th 2012>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

anyone fancy a stroll down brighton pier at 3am?

It would certainly put the colour in your cheeks wouldn't it? lol

Rain getting heavier here now and breeze picking up abit.

Posted

BBC midday forecast has just downgraded the winds from 70mph down to 60mph for coasts and 60 down to 50 for inland, every other forecasting source increasing their gust predictions, another example of the Beeb down playing an approaching storm to prevent panick?..

Posted

BBC midday forecast has just downgraded the winds from 70mph down to 60mph for coasts and 60 down to 50 for inland, every other forecasting source increasing their gust predictions, another example of the Beeb down playing an approaching storm to prevent panick?..

More likely the track of storm has changed slightly.

Posted

Well brighton beach is now predicting 75mph not 80mph, I do hope this isn't going to fizzle out into a very damp squib!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

The shipping forecast for "Thames, Dover and Wight" later is giving "Southeast 5 or 6, veering southwest 7 to severe gale 9, occasionally storm 10 later." This would be in line with the beaufort scale 55-63mph for storm 10.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

More likely the track of storm has changed slightly.

ASII_20121124_1130.png

http://www.floodwarn.co.uk/latest.htm

Edited by Jason T

Posted

The shipping forecast for "Thames, Dover and Wight" later is giving "Southeast 5 or 6, veering southwest 7 to severe gale 9, occasionally storm 10 later." This would be in line with the beaufort scale 55-63mph for storm 10.

post-5986-0-93121300-1353760048_thumb.pn

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~All

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Kent looks like getting a battering,

I am NOT looking forward to going into work on the bike at 7:30am tomorrow morning....or will it have eased a bit by then?

Posted

I am NOT looking forward to going into work on the bike at 7:30am tomorrow morning....or will it have eased a bit by then?

Main risk subsides by 6am; but you should still expect gusts in excess of 45mph, even by 9am

Posted

Yes but wasn't the Beaufort Scale based on averages in gusts? I think that means 55-63mph regularly but occasionally more, I wouldn't start using the term storm-force until the winds where exceeding 70mph.

Rain getting abit heavier here now, steady breeze increase too!

Posted

Yes but wasn't the Beaufort Scale based on averages in gusts? I think that means 55-63mph regularly but occasionally more, I wouldn't start using the term storm-force until the winds where exceeding 70mph.

Rain getting abit heavier here now, steady breeze increase too!

You can classify Beaufort scale numbers where the mean speed of the wind is in that category, or, that frequent gusts of speeds in that category are expected. "Storm" force is 55-63mph; at 70mph you are talking violent storm (which is currently forecast for Brighton, and a few other places along the south coast) Greater than 74pmh indicates hurricane force winds,

post-5986-0-20714600-1353761076_thumb.pn

Unfortunately, we don't know the frequency of the gusts. it could happen once, or every ten minutes for all we can tell.

Edited by Boar Wrinklestorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

Yes, its mean wind speed as far as I'm aware. The definition of a gust, certainly in terms of aviation is 10kts (11.5mph) above the mean so if storm force 10 is anything to go by then I'd expect any mean wind speeds to be in the 55-63mph area with gusts from 66-74mph. This is still broadly in line with that the various models and agencies are saying.

I certainly wouldnt rule out the odd exposed place on higher ground to get a sniff of 80mph. I'm thinking the eastern side of the south downs really.

Edit: As Boar says above.

Edited by jamesbhx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

updated fax charts for tuesday and wednesday

PPVM89.gif?31415

tuesday

showers some heavy throughout the day

COLD north easterly wind but not bitter yet and not a long cold drag

8 degrees but will feel cold

PPVO89.gif?31415

some showers in the very far south east

now a COLD north easterly wind which will be quite strong

we have 528 dam air on its way down from the north

also we have a trough to our north east

could we see some wintry showers later in the dayclapping.gif

more closer to the timerolleyes.gif

fergieweather UKMO go for cold & blocked into at least 10-15d based on MOGREPS-15 & EC Monthly. They say the 'wobbles' typical in this scenario 18 minutes ago ·

Good news JP.

Posted
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Siberian
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level

Flood meadows here are allready deep in water,

this low pressure system is about as welcome as Rafa Benitez at Chelsea.

Yup, both originated near the Bay of Biscay, and both are likely to have short lived stays.in the South East before moving Eastwards

Posted

The Beeb would not do that to prevent panick.

More than likely the storm system isn't a strong as first thought or its changed track slightly.

I always knew we probably wouldn't achieve over 60mph gusts here anyway.

Maybe a little over-hype has been going on past few days. Who knows!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

If the wind is behind you then it will be a fast one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Must be said, at this stage, that implies a typical blowy depression, the likes of which comes around each season.

I'm not getting caught up in the hype just yet BUT I will be watching things develop. good.gif

It will obviously be a non-wind event for my area but I expect the top gusts to be along some stretches of the East coast as the depression moves off into the North Sea. drinks.gif

Rainfall currently 3.0mm and much more to come.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Yes, its mean wind speed as far as I'm aware. The definition of a gust, certainly in terms of aviation is 10kts (11.5mph) above the mean so if storm force 10 is anything to go by then I'd expect any mean wind speeds to be in the 55-63mph area with gusts from 66-74mph. This is still broadly in line with that the various models and agencies are saying.

I certainly wouldnt rule out the odd exposed place on higher ground to get a sniff of 80mph. I'm thinking the eastern side of the south downs really.

Edit: As Boar says above.

Top of Bluebell Hill, and other places like that, I think, may well top the normal sea-level equivalent mean temps forecast. I'm not even sure that these speeds factor in convective gusts,

post-5986-0-68141500-1353761935_thumb.pn

So, here, we are talking of a risk of 60kt convective gusts (which don't require pressure lapse rates) which is 69mph! I am currently forecast with gusts to 54mph. I think it will easily top that once we get there.

Edited by Boar Wrinklestorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Heart radio forecast just said 75mph gusts and 3 inches of rain. Hmmmmm