Cold?
IGNORED

Heavy Rain, Flooding, High Winds - 21st November onward

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Is that a little squall line off the coast of Plymouth?

Looking like it. The whole thing is moving rather slowly which isn't good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Latest radar of the next system to visit the UK hot on the heals of the last, the main pulse of rain heading towards NW England with further rain working it's way into the SW and some very bright colours indicating very heavy ppn. Really is little respite atm.

post-9615-0-37461800-1353865583_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Looking like it. The whole thing is moving rather slowly which isn't good.

Still a distinct line there; replaying the radar and certainly not moving fast at all. Expecting 10mm or so from this weather system at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Latest Radar 2015hrs:

post-11361-0-37186500-1353875999_thumb.g

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

Radar shows a heavy band of rain moving across England and Wales through this evening, some very heavy downpours in there. Heavy downpours following into SW UK.

Posted

Further very heavy rain now falling over the SW but thankfully the rainfall shouldn't be to persistent for very long, although any rain at this stage is too much!!

post-9615-0-46258100-1353878176_thumb.pn

NMM projected rainfall totals by the end of Monday, heaviest falls likely over N Wales & N England especially North Yorkshire.

post-9615-0-56323200-1353878487_thumb.pn

Becoming quite windy over western areas during the afternoon with strong northerly winds gusting in excess of 40mph perhaps 50mph over exposed coasts & hills.

NMM GFS

post-9615-0-19643000-1353878589_thumb.pn post-9615-0-40159100-1353878634_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Weather systems continue to affect the UK through Monday, further heavy rainfall is likely, more prolonged heavy rain is likely across Wales with North Wales most at risk and Northern England, these areas could see many hours of rainfall.

Other parts of South UK seeing heavy showers or downpours after a band of heavy rain moves across overnight and into the morning, some prolonged downpours are possible maybe thundery.

I have made a map using latest model data.

post-11361-0-72125700-1353891484_thumb.g

Please keep up to date with the forecasts and warnings.

Keep check frequently on the river flood warnings at the Environment Agency

Link here:http://www.environme...oods/31618.aspx

ESS

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Weather systems continue to affect the UK through Monday, further heavy rainfall is likely, more prolonged heavy rain is likely across Wales with North Wales most at risk and Northern England, these areas could see many hours of rainfall.

Other parts of South UK seeing heavy showers or downpours after a band of heavy rain moves across overnight and into the morning, some prolonged downpours are possible maybe thundery.

I have made a map using latest model data.

Please keep up to date with the forecasts and warnings.

Keep check frequently on the river flood warnings at the Environment Agency

Link here:http://www.environme...oods/31618.aspx

ESS

is this early morning or later this evening?

Posted

The map covers all of Monday and i have just enlarged the map as the text was to small on viewing.

Posted

Grim here this morning with heavy persistent rain and a biting NE'ly wind, it looks like the rain will hang around for much of the day and I don't think the rivers are going to hold up to this deluge! The River Derwent near Cockermouth has breached it's banks and beginning to flow into the adjacent fields then once I got to Keswick people were out putting the flood barriers in place to protect property next to the River Greta.

Posted

Chris Fawkes, from the BBC Weather Centre, said there had been about 60mm (2.5in) of rain in south-west England over the weekend.

He said: "A weather front will slowly move across north England and north Wales on Monday, and it's here that we are likely to see some further serious flooding." Up to 30mm of rain is expected to fall in pockets of the West Country with 40mm to 50mm possible in the North.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20492208

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Lots of roads in the County Durham , tees-side and north Yorkshire are flooded, the Hospital building at Northallerton have also been flooded and Fire crews are on the scene now pumping the water out

The River Skerne which runs through Darlington is running very high this morning, and its only going to get higher over the next 24 hours before its hits its peak during Tuesday

riverskerne.jpg

Picture courtesy of the Northern Echo http://www.thenorthe..._2012__Floods_/

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

A couple of people have PM'ed me asking about rivers rising even as the weather locally dries up, rather than send out lots of PMs, I thought I'd post here.

River levels depend on a huge number of factors - the length of the watercourse, drainage basin size (the area of land that the river drains), topography, the nature of the land use in the river catchment, the presence of in-river infrastructure (weirs, culverts etc) and river management activities (vegetation cutting, dredging etc) as well as the type and nature of any flood risk management structures.

On short-track rivers in rural, agricultural areas, rivers can rise and fall in hours - our local river tends to peak with 6-8 hours of heavy rain because it's only 30 miles long and uns through a drainage basin of agricultural land with high standards of drainage. Rivers with long courses and very large drainage basins of mixed land use (The Trent, The Severn) can take days to reach peak levels. There are many hundreds of ways that water falling in a catchment can find its way into a water course.

The advice is, always pay attention to the Environment Agency Flood Alert status regardless of the weather because weather is only one factor (admittedly a big one!) in river and watercourse risk.

This situation is certainly shaping up to be the worst flood event for the UK since 2007, and might even be more widespread geographically.

Posted

Just watching some scenes on the news looks like an entire wherever it is seems a town been turned into a river

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I have now spent 5 days in a lock on the River Soar, the level here has finally started to drop - 3 " in the last 6 hours. The Loughborough flood defences were breached early this morning and further North the Trent continues to rise along its length, nowovertopping Shardlow marina and Sawley marina.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Here's an interesting map of rainfall amounts over past 7 days

article-2238107-16375D58000005DC-565_472x484.jpg

Wettest places SW England, South Wales and Lake District with up to 150mm. I've measured about 140mm so that fits in nicely.

Wow look at the rain shaddow over Cheshire plain!

The Welsh mountanis have sucked up the rain I guess with the rain mainly coming from SW/SSW direction. Even bigger rainshadow in NE Scotland, them Highlands do a good job at sucking down the rain too.

The rain has moved back in here as well, looks it will finally end tomorrow at least.

Edited by Barb-

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

hey, you may remember my piccy from a few days ago.....well it made the weekend front page, wahey...

CCF25112012_00002.jpg

I had two others inside as well........thumbs up to the weather watchers!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Just watching the local news and floods right across the region here mainly road closures what should have taken me 40 mins to get home tonight took me nearly 2.5hrs... I am fed up lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

Not exactly for Saughall as it has rained here most of the time since Thursday/Friday, two of the roads out of the village have been flooded since the weekend and the remainder are turning into streams as I type. With what is due overnight it will be very interesting getting out to work in the morning!

However, as the map shows that is nothing like the rest of North West England, Wales or the West Country. My deepest sympathies go to all those badly affected or even killed by this weather, it is truly tragic.