Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion ~ December 1st 2012>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Quick question ... perhaps more for the Model thread but they get stroppy in there if your not talking in what appears to be riddles ... what does FI mean? Seen it mentioned a lot. Im assuming something relating to fictional??

FI = Fantasy Island. By that, a person means la-la land, the point at which the model suites vary in the analyses. good.gif

The precise timing of any FI is more often that not, gained from following the ensembles and where the model members begin to differ, i.e. scatter/spread starts to occur.

Never be afraid to ask questions, we are all here to learn.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Quick question ... perhaps more for the Model thread but they get stroppy in there if your not talking in what appears to be riddles ... what does FI mean? Seen it mentioned a lot. Im assuming something relating to fictional??

Fantasy Island (not sure)

Guest archiesmummy

Fantasy island ie long way off!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

*Oh god, what have I done now?" c046.gif

Yep PARTYYYYYYYYYYY drinks.giftease.giffriends.gifgathering.gif

Posted

Here's my proper one.

Anywhere in central areas through to the East will have a good shot at lying snow due to lower 850's and low 2m temperatures bordering from -1/0C. There's a pocket of milder 850's between North Wales to Birmingham which needs to be looked at because it doesn't seem at the moment indicative of lying snow, perhaps wet snow/sleet. It all depends on whether the colder air can undercut faster, if it does then a nationwide snow event may be on the cards....depending on precipitation amounts of course.

Great chart PerfectStorm. I'll take that :-)

Although I am slightly worried at the latest BBC TV forecast. They have snow not over our region but over East Wales, pushing towards Dorset before clearing away south. Why are they forecasting so different? :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Fantasy Island (not sure)

Quite right, Dexter...After an old TV programme, of the same name!good.gif

Posted

Here's my proper one.

Anywhere in central areas through to the East will have a good shot at lying snow due to lower 850's and low 2m temperatures bordering from -1/0C. There's a pocket of milder 850's between North Wales to Birmingham which needs to be looked at because it doesn't seem at the moment indicative of lying snow, perhaps wet snow/sleet. It all depends on whether the colder air can undercut faster, if it does then a nationwide snow event may be on the cards....depending on precipitation amounts of course.

But, but, but.... I'm under the blue, not the red unsure.png

Edited by Mrsf16

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

But, but, but.... I'm under the blue, not the red unsure.png

The blue is the precipitation lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

It is a corker Steve, that's for sure. A whole lot of the best action in FI though. acute.gif

Yes, that's what I mean by waiting for next week. I think (almost) for sure though it's going to be a close call.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I don't want to get in trouble with Paul, but the following paragraph, taken from the netweather guides proves exactly why the ensembles are so important.

Many leading agencies now believe that ensemble forecasting is the way forward for

anything beyond 5 days – and sometimes even shorter.

It is precisely for the above reason, why many folk wait patiently, in between runs, to see IF the individual models are being backed up by the actual ensembles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Here's my proper one.

is the red blob on me or not i cant see:)(colchester)

Posted

is the red blob on me or not i cant see:)(colchester)

Yep, apparently Colchester could be snowed in and shut off until Monday morning.....:whistling:

Posted

I always have a quiet chuckle to myself when someone calls it Formula One smile.png It is definitely Fantasy Island - which is the perfect description with respect to the UK and thinking that what a model shows at +144 etc will be exactly what happens on a land mass as small as the UK with the Atlantic on one side and Europe on the other.... We still have difficulty forecasting to 3 days accurately of course, so if you do not want to hurt your head I recommend sticking to current to +96 as it is also easier to learn with. The ensembles for your location will give you an idea of the current trend (but trend is never locked in stone)

Edited by Buzzit

Posted

Heros all of you. Was killing me acute.gif

Thanks,

No problem, we are a clever bunch.

Would you kindly update your profile to show your location?

Just want to make sure that we know where you are, when you start reporting 20 feet of snow. acute.gif

Posted

I don't want to get in trouble with Paul, but the following paragraph, taken from the netweather guides proves exactly why the ensembles are so important.

Many leading agencies now believe that ensemble forecasting is the way forward for

anything beyond 5 days – and sometimes even shorter.

It is precisely for the above reason, why many folk wait patiently, in between runs, to see IF the individual models are being backed up by the actual ensembles.

Yep - http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72635-the-seasonal-forecast-thread/page__st__120#entry2405138

Posted

Yes, that's what I mean by waiting for next week. I think (almost) for sure though it's going to be a close call.

The encouraging thing it does look like though, is that conditions can be nearly right for some limited snow currently and that's enough for me to keep an eye out on charts and indicators 2/3 days hence.

Posted

Indeed, I was agreeing with you.

We definitely need something from the North or East as I reckon it then takes away any frustration of it not being cold enough etc. drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Can i ask a question please,where is Yamkin ? i havent seen any ramping from him in a long time?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

So now im confused is Essex getting a snow flake or am i going to do a snow dance around my white stilletoes lol,im now taking the pee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Can i ask a question please,where is Yamkin ? i havent seen any ramping from him in a long time?

He is sitting tight in his underground bunker waiting for the 21st to pass before he comes back to us! rofl.gifrofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Yep, apparently Colchester could be snowed in and shut off until Monday morning.....whistling.gif

very goodblum.gif

Posted

I want to know that too, not the same without him.

As I was scraping the ice off the car windscreen this morning, I couldn't help think that this was the quickest mild blip in the history of the blippiest blips in blipsville, especially as we may get 5 flakes of snow tomorrow:)