Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18th December 2012>

Coast

Posted

Only recorded 10mm so far but the brue between meare and glastonbury has burst its banks and the road is barely passable :(

Just about made it home for lunch but might need to find an alternate route home tonight !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

32mm of rain so far from wednesday

Is that in Ilminster Alex?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

We are now having flooding issues as the road between our village and the next is inpassable. I've had to phone the secondary school to tell them that the bus won't get through and to tell my son to wait so I can pick him up. I've got to drive to Street shortly to pick my other son up from college, really not looking forward to it. the rain just seems relentless. sad.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Up to 31.4mm in Newbury from this current spell, which is quite a lot given that we are shielded by hills to the south and the north. That takes us up to 900mm for the year

That is a lot more than my Davis has registered with 9.6mm falling yesterday and 15.2mm thus far for today. Others have mentioned Davius calibration problems so I wonder if that is true in my case. Whatever, hopefully not as severe as in the more desperate regions, I hope you folk get all the help and assistance you require. good.gif

Posted

Not sure of the rainfall totals but it hasn't stopped raining. The cattle grid at the front of the drive has flooded again so the drainage pipe must be blocked again. I have a lovely big pool of water next to it and the grid has disappeared. I also have a moat around the house where the ground dips down. I've been out side shovelling gravel about because we were wading through water just to get to the car.

The lanes around here are starting to get bad, might have to pick my daughter up from school in a tractor later!

Just so others are aware, wher in South Somerset is this? Can you please be so kind as to update your profile. good.gif

Many Thanks and please stay safe.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

rain moderate , but puddles appearing from water running off the fields.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Just so others are aware, wher in South Somerset is this? Can you please be so kind as to update your profile. good.gif

Many Thanks and please stay safe.

done.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

That is a lot more than my Davis has registered with 9.6mm falling yesterday and 15.2mm thus far for today. Others have mentioned Davius calibration problems so I wonder if that is true in my case. Whatever, hopefully not as severe as in the more desperate regions, I hope you folk get all the help and assistance you require. good.gif

Hey GTLTW - how you doing? Hows Newbury fairing up? I see that the Kennet is up on alert already (took a while last time to get to alert) so things not looking great. I was at the Fire Station this morning in Reading and they got called to a car stranded in flood water in Curridge...hope the people are all ok - what water course will that be then?

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2012/flood-alerts-in-place-in-newbury-lambourn-valley-bagnor-and-other-areas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Others have mentioned Davius calibration problems so I wonder if that is true in my case.

What Davis station do you have?

Posted

Hey GTLTW - how you doing? Hows Newbury fairing up? I see that the Kennet is up on alert already (took a while last time to get to alert) so things not looking great. I was at the Fire Station this morning in Reading and they got called to a car stranded in flood water in Curridge...hope the people are all ok - what water course will that be then?

http://www.newburyto...and-other-areas

I'm fine PB, Thanks.

Not sure whereabouts that water course is but there are a few ponds in the general area according to Google maps. Those ponds must get fed by some source? Maybe it is the winterbourne stream, although that does seem too far away.

There is always some sort of chaos around Christmas it seems but Thankfully I shouldn't be affected by it all too much as I'll be keeping myself to myself and will invariably be staying at home. friends.gif

Keep the reports coming guys n gals, if only to aid anybody to the latest in your area. good.gif

What Davis station do you have?

I'll PM you Mapantz. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

heres the latest roads affected in Berkshire....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/berkshire

Severe

A329

A329 Lower Basildon, both ways at Mead Lane

A329 Berkshire - A329 in Lower Basildon closed at Railway Bridge, because of flooding.

Updated 1 hour ago

Medium

A3290

A3290 Winnersh, both ways at Loddon Bridge Park and Ride

A3290 Berkshire - 0 parking spaces available on A3290 in Winnersh at the Loddon Bridge Park and Ride junction, because of flooding.

Updated 2 hours ago

B3430

B3430 Nine Mile Ride Wokingham, both ways at Heathlands Road

B3430 Berkshire - Flooding on B3430 Nine Mile Ride in Wokingham around the Heathlands Road junction.

Updated 2 hours ago

B4009 B

4009 Long Lane Shaw, both ways between Love Lane and Priors Court Road B4009 Berkshire - Flooding on B4009 Long Lane between the Love Lane junction in Shaw and the Priors Court Road junction in Hermitage

Updated 1 hour ago

Sandford Lane

Sandford Lane Hurst, both ways between B3030 Davis Street and Mohawk Way

Berkshire - Sandford Lane in Hurst closed between the B3030 Davis Street junction and the Mohawk Way junction, because of flooding.

Updated 1 hour ago

Emmbrook Road

Emmbrook Road Wokingham, both ways at the Railway Bridge

Berkshire - Emmbrook Road in Wokingham partially blocked at the the Railway Bridge junction, because of flooding.

Updated 1 hour ago

Dean Copse Road

Dean Copse Road Sheffield Bottom, near Theale, both ways at Hanger Road

Berkshire - Dean Copse Road in Sheffield Bottom, near Theale closed near the Hanger Road junction, because of flooding.

Updated 1 hour ago

Marsh Lane

Marsh Lane Curridge, both ways at Curridge

Berkshire - Flooding on Marsh Lane at the Curridge junction.

Updated 1 hour ago

Remenham Lane

Remenham Lane Henley-On-Thames, both ways between A4130 Wargrave Road and Remenham Church Lane

Berkshire - Flooding on Remenham Lane in Henley-On-Thames between the A4130 Wargrave Road junction and the Remenham Church Lane junction.

Updated 1 hour ago

Sulham Hill

Sulham Hill Tilehurst, both ways at Long Lane

Berkshire - Sulham Hill in Tilehurst blocked at the Long Lane junction, because of telephone wires in the road and a fallen tree.

Updated 1 hour ago

Winter Hill Road

Winter Hill Road Cookham Dean, both ways at Bigfrith Lane

Berkshire - Winter Hill Road in Cookham Dean closed in both directions at the Bigfrith Lane junction, because of flooding.

Updated 2 hours ago

Old Wokingham Road

Old Wokingham Road Bracknell, both ways between Easthampstead Road and Waterloo Road

Berkshire - Old Wokingham Road in Bracknell closed in both directions between the Easthampstead Road junction and the Waterloo Road junction, because of flooding.

Updated 2 hours ago

Emmbrook Road E

mmbrook Road Wokingham, both ways between A329 Reading Road and Commons Road Berkshire - Flooding on Emmbrook Road in both directions in Wokingham between the A329 Reading Road junction and the Commons Road junction.

Updated 2 hours ago

Swallowfield Road

Swallowfield Road Farley Hill, both ways at Bungler's Hill

Berkshire - Flooding on Swallowfield Road in Farley Hill around the Bungler's Hill junction.

Updated 2 hours ago

Church Lane

Church Lane Three Mile Cross, both ways at Hyde End Lane

Berkshire - Flooding on Church Lane in Three Mile Cross around the Hyde End Lane junction.

Be carefull out there peeps acute.gif

Posted

Nearly fell off the sofa hala hour ago when there was a rapid brightening up! Looked out and saw a few breaks within the low cloud which

lasted around 15 minutes but it's gloomy again with light rain restarting.

Looking at the radar, satellite and judging by the what happened here I think the LOW centre has passed in the last hour.

Posted
Posted

Met office have upgraded their warnings for Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Doesnt look for the region especially Cornwall & Devon, into Somerset. All under the orange warning until Monday :( Rain has stopped here though 35mm in total

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Wind has changed direction here in last couple of hours. 7mm since 09.00.

Posted

An Amazing 64mm of rain has fallen here... I'm currently under a flood warning and a river in a nearby field is close to breaking point.

Roads are a mess around Emsworth which is just a couple of minutes away, the same river I'm worried about has flooded the A259.

SM

Posted

Unfortunately the patch of intense rain for today showing up on all charts yesterday has fallen exactly where it was shown and here is one of the poor villages suffering:

Hampshire flooding: Village evacuated and motorists rescued

_64869490_porsche.jpg

A village is due to be evacuated and a number of motorists have been rescued from their vehicles after heavy rain caused flooding in Hampshire.

The Environment Agency (EA) has issued a severe flood warning for Wallington on the River Wallington. The EA said the flood defence around the village had failed and cracks had formed in the wall. Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said it had rescued six people from submerged vehicles.

A father and daughter had to be pulled from their car which had become stranded in a ford on the Sway to Brockenhurst road. They were rescued by a police community support officer after swimming from their Porsche. The River Lymington in Brockenhurst burst its banks earlier with water reported to have risen to 3ft (1m). Firefighters also rescued two people from a van stranded in Purbrook Ford, Waterlooville, and motorists stuck in vehicles after driving into floodwater in Fareham, Ringwood and Wallington. The fire service warned people not to drive through flood water. Area manager Andy Bowers said: "We are urging motorists not to take any undue risks by driving through floodwater. Some of the water is already very deep and it is only set to get deeper. "Vehicles can be swept away or become stranded, so if in doubt do not enter the water, either in a vehicle or on foot."

Waterlooville near Portsmouth and Brockenhurst in the New Forest were the worst affected areas. The service said it had also been called to flooding at homes in Hayling Island, Waterlooville, Emsworth, Colden Common, Brockenhurst and Woolston. Gordon Coleman's house in Emsworth flooded for the second time in three years when a drainage ditch overflowed overnight. He said: "It's covered all our carpets through the house and conservatory - everything is just floating."

Many roads have been closed due to the water, which has also caused disruption to rail services with some routes suspended. No trains are operating between Bournemouth and Brockenhurst. Buses have been bought in to replace trains between Fareham and Eastleigh. A spokeswoman for the South West Trains-Network Rail Alliance said: "We apologise to our customers for the disruption to their services this morning which is due to flooding caused by heavy rain overnight. "We are working hard to restore services in these areas as quickly as possible."

In Southampton all roadworks within the city have been suspended by the council while workers replace blown manhole covers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...pshire-20794567

Edited by Coast

Posted

An Amazing 64mm of rain has fallen here... I'm currently under a flood warning and a river in a nearby field is close to breaking point.

Roads are a mess around Emsworth which is just a couple of minutes away, the same river I'm worried about has flooded the A259.

SM

Seems a tad high even Southampton are only showing around 41mm, but then again it has varied, as we are about 33mm

Posted

EA gauge at Parkend in Forest of Dean showing pretty much 50mm in 48hrs; widely 20-40mm across their gauge network for rest of region. Sat-Sun-Mon events clearly of key concern in a cumulative sense (especially as slower-response catchments such as Severn yet to show their hand from what's already fallen.).

Indications of a key pattern change into mid-Jan now being suggested - ie., to colder again - so interesting times ahead.

Posted

The rain has been crazy today! Had to do a double take when looking at my weather station its saying we've had 42.3mm of rain in the last 24hours. Not sure how accurate it is but that's my 3rd highest reading.

Thinking of all those who are impacted by this.

Please stay safe out there. The rivers will continue to rise even when the rain stops.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Haven't got time for a full look at the charts tonight, but the NAE shows round two isn't far away;

post-12721-0-53215300-1356025479_thumb.jpost-12721-0-11377400-1356025490_thumb.jpost-12721-0-79346900-1356025498_thumb.j

Not good!

Posted

Seems a tad high even Southampton are only showing around 41mm, but then again it has varied, as we are about 33mm

Even I thought that was a bit high, but you can just tell from around here how much rain has fallen. 10mm of that was from a passing heavy shower we had this afternoon, pelted down for about 20mins.

SM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

met office warnings

it looks grim

more amber warnings Sat, Sun & Christmas Eve

"we're going to need a bigger boat"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

River level very high, Fields now showing surface water, The Lane that services part village still clear of water, No flooding yet, With respite forecast tomorrow. will inspect our area of river for any debris that may be washed down, But at moment seems OK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Looking for decent weather station to buy, Would need suitable for beginner,