Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18th December 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

I'm not sure if I look like a stupid yokel or perhaps a bit of a mentalist but its not just my husband and children who take no notice of what i say! I popped out down the road with the dogs earlier and thought I'd take some flood pictures. Along comes a couple of cars and I stop the 1st one (little yellow thing) and tell the lady not to carry on around the corner as the road is badly flooded.

of course she carried on. I walk around the corner only to see the car conked out in the middle of the flooded lane. Lady is in tears. So I phone the old man and being the hero that he is biggrin.png he comes out in the loadall and the owner in his landrover. No hook or bar so he opens the boot lid and find a hook and the landrover towed it out using baler twine.

Edited by Cirrostratus

Posted

For what it's worth - 24.4mm of rain today in Winchester, which brings the total from this little outburst to around 30mm. Amazing how much more fell in areas which are not too far away - Fareham and along A27 towards Emsworth for example.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

I'm not sure if I look like a stupid yokel or perhaps a bit of a mentalist but its not just my husband and children who take no notice of what i say! I popped out down the road with the dogs earlier and thought I'd take some flood pictures. Along comes a couple of cars and I stop the 1st one (little yellow thing) and tell the lady not to carry on around the corner as the road is badly flooded.

of course she carried on. I walk around the corner only to see the car conked out in the middle of the flooded lane. Lady is in tears. So I phone the old man and being the hero that he is biggrin.png he comes out in the loadall and the owner in his landrover. No hook or bar so he opens the boot lid and find a hook and the landrover towed it out using baler twine.

Not surprised, People here moving road flooded signs so could drive through, Good on you and husband, hope he got nice thank you

Posted

Suppose one good point about the state of river is the dreaded Comarant not like flooded rivers, Give fish stock break from them, Having said that. think rather have few Comarants than this

Posted

My son thinks it has something to do with the end if the world!!!

40 days and 40 nights the great flood, Time to build an Ark Edited by cerneman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Since the start of the rains on weds morning I have recorded 71mm here at Winfrith

Posted

Since the start of the rains on weds morning I have recorded 71mm here at Winfrith

That seems questionable, as reports on the news showed 40+mm as a result from this recent low, so that would mean 30mm on Weds!

Might be worth checking that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

River Parrett spilling over here, one exit out of the village already impassable again. I really hope I'm not completely cut off for the second time in a month! I've got to be thankful my property isn't at risk however.

Posted

Thought I'd go and investigate the River Axe today, about 10 miles east of my location. It was out on the floodplain like it sometimes is after heavy rainfalls and was flooded quite well. I couldn't have crossed to the other side of the valley as even the A3052 road was impassible. Thought I'd upload some video I took for anyone that's interested:

Though it was probably a couple feet lower than it got both a few weeks ago and on the 7th July this year when gauging stations set new records.

Sorry about the camera not focusing at times, could have done with being there earlier really as it was starting to get dark.

That river had just passed it's peak when I got there and will drop through tonight and tomorrow (along with my local river) before probably flooding again if we get the totals forecast for Saturday.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

The NAE suggesting another "wave-like" feature behind Saturdays main band of rain. This could be similar to what we have just seen and provide a very lengthy & persistent spell of unwanted rainfall;

post-12721-0-93428800-1356048546_thumb.j

And then another frontal wave coming up from Biscay again on Sunday;

post-12721-0-26871100-1356048633_thumb.j

There's no end in sight!

Edited by AWD

Posted

Happy doomsday everyone.

We have a weekend of very wet weather to get through im sure it will feel like the end of the world for some people with flooding looking very likely especially in places that suffered most last month.

Take care all.

Posted

Was faced with the dread "Road Closed" sign on my way home last night. Managed to find another route home fortunately although some drivers have a lot to learn when it comes to driving in flooded conditions...

Good news was despite the road closed signs still being there this morning i managed to get through with only a few large puddles. The river brue has lowered enough to stop it from spilling over.

Not looking good for the weekend though....

Posted

Here is the latest NAE output at 6 hour intervals. Saturday 06:00 sees heavy rain arriving from the SW to engulf much of southern & western England;

post-12721-0-63392000-1356086336_thumb.j

By midday Saturday, its still heavy & still over much of the region;

post-12721-0-39212500-1356086369_thumb.j

Then by Saturday afternoon & evening there is a brief lull before a second wave, similar to what we recently had, comes in from behind the main rain band to deliver a second spell of rain, although hopefully not quite as heavy as the main rainfall, but still much unwanted;

post-12721-0-33686900-1356086475_thumb.j

By midnight the rain turns more showery in nature, but still evident, especially around the M4 corridor;

post-12721-0-43231000-1356086530_thumb.j

Before slowly fizzling out & moving away Sunday morning;

post-12721-0-55071100-1356086563_thumb.j

Total accumulated rainfall by Sunday morning, approaching 30mm widely for anywhere south of the M4, locally up to 50mm across Devon & Cornwall;

Cripes!!!!

post-12721-0-32222500-1356086664_thumb.j

Posted

Here is the latest NAE output at 6 hour intervals. Saturday 06:00 sees heavy rain arriving from the SW to engulf much of southern & western England;

post-12721-0-63392000-1356086336_thumb.j

By midday Saturday, its still heavy & still over much of the region;

post-12721-0-39212500-1356086369_thumb.j

Then by Saturday afternoon & evening there is a brief lull before a second wave, similar to what we recently had, comes in from behind the main rain band to deliver a second spell of rain, although hopefully not quite as heavy as the main rainfall, but still much unwanted;

post-12721-0-33686900-1356086475_thumb.j

By midnight the rain turns more showery in nature, but still evident, especially around the M4 corridor;

post-12721-0-43231000-1356086530_thumb.j

Before slowly fizzling out & moving away Sunday morning;

post-12721-0-55071100-1356086563_thumb.j

Total accumulated rainfall by Sunday morning, approaching 30mm widely for anywhere south of the M4, locally up to 50mm across Devon & Cornwall;

Cripes!!!!

post-12721-0-32222500-1356086664_thumb.j

It won't stop raining i expect there will be a lot of flooding about come the end of the weekend and not good timing either.

Posted

Location-specific totals are swinging about quite a bit from run to run, which suggests that we can expect a lot of embedded features bringing heavier bursts of rain. That said, the initial onslaught looks to be one massive front of heavy rain, perhaps more pronounced than the recent one was.

Posted

Location-specific totals are swinging about quite a bit from run to run, which suggests that we can expect a lot of embedded features bringing heavier bursts of rain. That said, the initial onslaught looks to be one massive front of heavy rain, perhaps more pronounced than the recent one was.

Not looking good is it, on the bright side the world didn't end 10mins ago :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Not looking good is it, on the bright side the world didn't end 10mins ago smile.png

Really...Can I come out of my bunker yet?

Posted

Really...Can I come out of my bunker yet?

I think so everything seems normal to me, plus look for animal behaviour, etc birds they seem happy here.

Posted

Some very heavy rainfall across the South West on Saturday if this verifies;

post-12721-0-69382000-1356089240_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I think so everything seems normal to me, plus look for animal behaviour, etc birds they seem happy here.

All seems fine here too. search.gif

[html]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=UUMKaRarTV3mRwBhhbleHfyA&v=uy5n9yzZj7k

[

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

What a difference a day makes. Bright winter sunshine, the balloon is doing it's thing in the town centre, the sea is like a mill pond.

So different to yesterday.