Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18th December 2012>

Coast

Posted

Hmm this rain is much lighter than the radar shows it at the moment, my station isn't even registering any rain rate!

I kind of wanted to make a time lapse of the local river rising/flooding but beginning to think it won't even reach the height it did on Thursday..

in fact according to the EA gauges many rivers in the area are dropping already.. so much for the 40-80mm the BBC said

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I think there will be more rain to come yet, they said it would be in pulses with the occasional lighter ppn. probably find radar peps up again later.

But isnt it a good thing that its less rain than predicted? apart from the fact you wanted to make a film of the river flooding that is.

Depends on your perspective just as it does with snow... many people including myself understand its bad for low lying areas but at the same time we find it interesting to witness. good.gif

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

Serious flooding in my area of south west Isle of Wight. Can't get out, too deep for (2WD) car.

Posted

yeah it is a good thing I guess although thankfully the flood plain is mainly just fields, but I did want to witness the river in full flood in day time which I haven't done for donkeys years and can't even remember seeing, as I have been away both times it happened in the day time this year. Still I'm also glad for anyone in this area that may have been affected, many other areas in the SW have had it far worse that don't need it though unfortunately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Rained heavy here in Exeter up until about 8:30am then nothing since apart from a few light spots, reading of 13c.

Posted

More rain, this is just becoming more and more of a problem.

Im sure even the mild winter members would be desperate for some high pressure, cold nights and dry days!

It seems the zonal train is here until the end of the month at least, not good for flooding.

The South West NEEDS a blocked Atlantic ,not just to appease the coldies, but help those suffering again right now in our region!!

Edited by latitude

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Its barely rained here.

Might go get the BBQ out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

This is the latest NAE for midday today;

post-12721-0-90476900-1356171872_thumb.j

Yet, from what I can see on the radar, the rainband already looks further east, clearing most of the South West within the next hour, and aside from some showery bursts of rain, the looks to be a dry lull coming up as the secondary wave associated with the rainband doesn't look as formed as what the above NAE suggests.

Maybe it won't be quite as bad?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

This is the latest NAE for midday today;

post-12721-0-90476900-1356171872_thumb.j

Yet, from what I can see on the radar, the rainband already looks further east, clearing most of the South West within the next hour, and aside from some showery bursts of rain, the looks to be a dry lull coming up as the secondary wave associated with the rainband doesn't look as formed as what the above NAE suggests.

Maybe it won't be quite as bad?

Not so sure about that it is building now as it is coming into view and although main band has passed the shower activity just keeps pepping up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Not so sure about that it is building now as it is coming into view and although main band has passed the shower activity just keeps pepping up.

Yes, just started building into view after i posted that post. More masses of rainfall building south of Ireland now, although not too heavy, YET.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well its now reached double-digit Fahrenheit here in Newbury, Berkshire. It is in fact the first time to have done so, since the early hours of 25th November. mega_shok.gif

Currently dull, gloomy, wet and pretty much like the rest of the UK. 9.4mm and counting, but thankfully currently under a lull in the action. lazy.gif

At least, the 27th and 28th December are currently looking dry and frosty by night. Furthermore, the GFS 6z showed something much colder at times too.

Posted

Just been out with the Go-Pro -

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

12c SSW breeze 7mph.Ordinary rain now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Certainly looks like another spell of persistant mod / hvy rain moving n east soon ,this looks like arriving across our area mid late afternoon . dryer over night but then a bit of a problem with next system tomorrow in how far north this comes but looking game on for our area .over Christmas we could see some very potent showers Merging at times . modells and data starting to show higher pressure for after next weekend with possible colder conditions arriving . but i would want to see this shown in future modell runs of all main modells especially UK Met and ECM and an update on met office further outlook pointing us in this direction .so flooding a big issue especially after this afternoon and evenings rain anything tomorrow would be an insult .keep safe and i wish all of you a merry christmas .drinks.gifsmiliz39.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Further bands of heavy rain accompanied by strong winds are expected to move north and east across the southwest and southern England and south Wales through Saturday and early Sunday. Given that the ground is already saturated, the public should be prepared for the risk of localised flooding from both rivers and surface water. This could well lead to disruption to travel, with a low likelihood of severe disruption, particularly in parts of Devon and Cornwall.

This warning has been updated to include southern counties of England.

Issued at: 1046 on Sat 22 Dec 2012

Please also refer to the amber warnings where the risk of disruption is greater.

http://www.metoffice...Time=1356091260

And the most worrying aspect of that latest update is the use of the word severe, for parts of Devon and Cornwall. I'll copy this into the SW thread MK, if you don't mind.

There will be light at the end of the tunnel but it needs to arrive more quickly than anticipated I feel.

If I could be the bearer of good news I would but........................ acute.gifbad.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

This was the Corfe/Wareham/Studland junction, Corfe river burst it's banks.

post-15177-0-71344900-1356178531_thumb.j

The stream running parallel to the Castle also burst..

post-15177-0-35891700-1356178539_thumb.j

post-15177-0-39513100-1356178549_thumb.j

27.8mm so far today.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

I'm liking the input from you guys n gals and whilst I'm literally ticking like against your posts, I so wish those who are and will be effected by these deluges stay safe and dry where at all possible. friends.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Oh my god! We go camping at Corfe! Those pics are amazing!

Posted

Just done a journey from BANES to S.Glos. You can literally see the standing water in the verges and the roads are quite flooded in places, at the moment some of the usual places but maybe slightly deeper than normal. Still raining quite heavy here on and off with more to come I can see on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Rain eased for now,but some sharp showers, We here doing OK at moment,but bit of knife edge for us people close to river, Really now depends how much more rain we get, The clearing of debris from river over last few days have helped situation and water flowing under bridges is not being blocked, Been some landslip on hillside but not much and not reached river, In summary not too bad,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

30mm here overnight and some road flooding here earlier this morningin the village

Posted

This says it all really as yet more rain is moving through the SW region.

post-7183-0-54225800-1356181771_thumb.pn

72 hour totals up to 6am this morning.

http://www.weatheron...k&SORT=2&INT=72

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yet another morning of persistent drizzle, and disgustingly mild - more like March weather than December!