Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18th December 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Just had to leave car half way down road and wade part the way! Water is gushing off the fields and just filling roads up and to think its all going to end up on the levels in a couple of days... whistling.gif

Shoes and trousers in the airing cudboard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

Truly disgusting mega wet, dank, mild, ugly weather here. Braunton, North Devon flooded pretty bad, with minor floods all over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Not for long I'm afraid, its pepping up again, currently worse affected areas under the heaviest of rainbands would be Camelford, Bude and Bideford region of Cornwall and Devon. Also Bristol and Weston-super-Mare look to be under the heaviest deluges further to the North currently. lazy.gif All that little lot eventually spreading in Eastwards to affect other regions down South.

Over 40mm to day alone, that takes this month over the 100mm's. That's evey month since April which has recorded 100mm+ with the yearly total around 1700mm's

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Wonder if we finish up with empty Atlantic ocean?

Posted

Wonder if we finish up with empty Atlantic ocean?

Good to see some humour remaining! The water cycle certainly seems to have been particularly large this year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All Weather

Well after a break in the weather this afternoon allowing surface water on the roads to ease, I just took a quick look at the radar and I wish I hadn't!

It's not looking good with the amount of rain we have received over the last 48 hours and more to come.

The ditch 40ft away from the house at the bottom of the garden has been dry for the last 5 years I have lived here, it's now a 2ft deep torrent of water flowing pretty quick, can only assume its on a sluice gate and they are relieving the pressure on the main river into the tributary's but its a bit worrying with more rain to come.

Edited by Dorset Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but soggy wetness

Soo soggy here in North Gloucestershire , walked down toward the Severn today and everything is underwater either side of the road. Numerous minor roads flooded and even the wildlife in the local nature reserve look miserable today.

I think most of the birds are wondering what they have flown south for.

Posted

I think the southwest will be spared from this rain band unless it peps up further south, I know for a fact however it's more of a 'north of M4' event.

As Mapantz pointed out, the next front is going to basically move in over the next hour or so and develop right over our heads. A nasty spell coming up this evening... Tomorrow Evening/Mondays event has been downgraded slightly to around 15-25mm of rain. But we don't need that extra ran as all of it will run of the surface just like tonight's event. The Ground is not taking any more water.

My area seems to be coping well at the moment compared to Thursday. EA have been in the area clearing rivers and back up channels. There's one that goes through my road and its been just standing water recently. Its now 2ft deep and flowing, so only time will tell

EDIT: Just managed to take a look at tonights model output... Quite concerned that the Northern Block over Russia stays in situ throughout and has been a running feature. This is whats causing the flooding rains towards the South and South West. The depressions have no where to go but slowly cross the country and move towards Iceland as the block it near on 'stalling' them over our Island. All 15 day models are keeping this occuring for the foreseable at the moment, which would be very disastrous for the SW. Lets hope this WON'T happen!

Take care all,

SM

Edited by SnowMania

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Driving rain here in Stroud, driven by gusty wind. If this was snow we'd be a few inches under in no time. Wasn't expecting rain like this this eve, radar doesn't do it justice right though guess it might not last long. Gonna be interesting out and about tomorrow! Be safe.

Posted

hope you all keep safe, and its pouring down here at the moment in a very wet Suffolk!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Been raining all day here in Frome although much of it was just light and drizzly at time. Seems heavier this eve though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Truly disgusting mega wet, dank, mild, ugly weather here. Braunton, North Devon flooded pretty bad, with minor floods all over.

Brauton is under a severe flood warning by the river caen, I hope you are not near there.

http://news.sky.com/story/1029012/floods-and-christmas-travel-chaos-live-updates

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Barnstaple now has severe flood warnings

http://www.environme...west&Severity=1

live coverage now on bbc radio devon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radiodevon

Edited by stevofunnelcl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Wouldn't be surprised to find us cut off tomorrow morning. The road in one direction (where we towed out a car the other day) is impassable and the road the other way is getting quite deep under the railway bridge. Feel like the queen of the castle as we have a moat around our house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Wow the amount of flood warnings in force now is quite something across the UK.

6 Severe Flood Warnings (all of which I think are here in the SW)

182 Flood Warnings

355 Flood alerts.

I'm not sure why, but the alert siren was going off for 30 mins or so along the River Severn Estuary that is normally only used in case of chemical incidents at Avonmouth or from the nuclear power station at Oldbury-On-Severn. I can't hear it now through the rain so it may have stopped. Anyone know why this might be? Can't find anything in the news.

34.6mm since 00:00 this morning which I believe is around about what was forecasted, perhaps more. Still pouring outside now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

The wind gusts have really picked up the past couple of hours here. Still pouring with rain.

Posted

fax charts what have been updated at present i have done for south east and south west

PPVE89.gif?31415

south east rain am clearing by lunchtime

breezy westerly wind

warm

south west same as above by more rain on way early evening

PPVG89.gif?31415

sunday night

south east

staying dry until early morning then more heavy rain

again not cold

south-south westerly flow

south west

showers on and off until early hours

a low over the south west in the early hours could give some very heavy rain

PPVI89.gif?31415

monday

south east

heavy rain in most of the south east

clearing most by around lunchtine

hanging on late afternoon in anglia area

light south westerly flow

there is a slim possibility of heavy rain very south of the uk

update tomorrow

south west

after a brief dry spell in the morning

more heavy rain incoming after lunchtime

weak south westerly flow

PPVJ89.gif?31415

monday night

south east

more heavy rain overnight

breezy westerly flow

feeling chilly

south west

more heavy rain on the way

feeling chilly

PPVK89.gif?31415

tuesday

south east

more heavy rain am

easing off late afternoon

chilly south westerly wind

8 degrees max

south west

smoe very heavy rain showing in the south west due to a low

pressure sat over the south west

very light winds so the rain likely to be heavy and slow moving

Edited by john pike

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Gusty winds constant mainly light rain,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

NOT much on radar but pouring down .Tomorrows rain after 10pm ish sunday now looks very hvy and lasting many hours this is going to be the nail in the coffin .new batch of rain developing in bristol channel and west of cornwall ,so bristol could have 3/4 hrs of hvy rain after 10pm this evening lasting till 3am then a dry slot and more v hvy rain tomorrow evening and monday morning .then late christmas eve 2 troughs bring hvy rain with hail on christmas day and boxing day with squally winds and hvy downpours . on 27th cooler with hvy showers and gusty winds .later this week some v mild temperatures with showers then dry with mild temperatures ,misty temp could hit 16c then atlantic kicks in with low after low .then around 10th jan high pressure moves in from n/west dry and frosty but mild further north . in the outlook high pressure from Azores links up with euro high with quiet conditions and mild .personally i think it will turn much colder come january 1 st with hard frosts and wintry precipitation .then a greeny high and low pressure to our west .we could also see a strong rise of pressure across greenland to norway ,that would be a big thumbs down to ATLANTIC TRAIN .as i speak at 22.48 the rain is sheeting it down with another pulse forming west of minehead ,smiliz39.gifdrinks.gif

Posted

wednesday

having trouble with computer

south west for wednesday shows more heavy rain far south west

showers running through during the day on a brisl westerly wind

hopefully drying out wednesday night

thursday

chilly north westerly flow and until colder 528 dam air

fingers crossed but at present this chart looks dry

Edited by john pike

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

I have not seen my area flood like it has done this year since the early eighties it has been quite remarkable, interestingly in those days this kind of weather often was followed by a freeze up, I remember playing on the ice!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I posted this up earlier but if any of you folk are interested in local readings, type in a large town or city location on the following link and then select Station select for local stations. good.gif

The example below is for Poole, Dorset but it will work for other locations.

http://www.wundergro...:00000.15.03862

Posted

Had 18mm of rain here today & witnessed plenty of flooding while out & about trying to get some Christmas shopping earlier. Been a very mild day too with a maximum of 13C! help.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

I posted this up earlier but if any of you folk are interested in local readings, type in a large town or city location on the following link and then select Station select for local stations. good.gif

The example below is for Poole, Dorset but it will work for other locations.

http://www.wundergro...:00000.15.03862

I clicked on Templecombe which looks like my nearest station and the daily precipitation shows as 45.8cm, we have had a lot of rain around here today but surely not 458mm!!