Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 18th December 2012>

Coast

Posted

It's certainly been dreich and wet in the Lanarkshire/Glasgow area but there hasn't been a particularly exceptional amount of rain. Looks like the east is getting a taste of some traditional western weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Made the mistake of going onto the model thread first before looking at the models. All them Engurlanders are crying about it being mild next week, looks to me like there is some of the white stuff on the way round these parts and I think I will make a donation to Wullie Hill.

On a more serious note, hope everyone in the areas where the rain is at its worst are going to be alright and it stops soon.

SS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

It's been so calm up here, no rain, fairly calm. Tomorrow ...all change! One thing I will say about the rain in Skye, at least it knows where to go....straight down the hills and into the sea! Stay safe everyone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Still liking the mean.

t850Midlothian.png

Control and op no bad either.

Had to help one of our neighbours this morning. Roadside culvert got blocked and overflowed. Ended up running down the side of his house and managed to get in. Carpet's for the bin but that was the worst of it thankfully.

Never seen so much water here in the ditches, running down the road etc. The road looks like a miniature scale demonstration model of river sediment flow dynamics.

Like this, but 1:1000 scale

Braided_River_Outwash_Plain.jpg

EDIT.

And after this lot has finished, we have this lot coming:

12122206_2106.gif

Maybe the Mayans were right.

Everyone aboard two by two please.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Had to help one of our neighbours this morning. Roadside culvert got blocked and overflowed. Ended up running down the side of his house and managed to get in. Carpet's for the bin but that was the worst of it thankfully.

Never seen so much water here in the ditches, running down the road etc. The road looks like a miniature scale demonstration model of river sediment flow dynamics.

Cripes you've had some rain then. We got 1mm yesterday, another 1mm so far today.

Just had a quick scan tthrough the models - next week looks like a good one for the hills & I'm on hols yippee biggrin.pngw00t.gif

Posted

Still raining here but certainly the roads locally are not as bad as they were during the October floods. Leuchars has recorded 46mm of rain but it's been at least twice that in parts of Perthshire into Angus/Tayside.

As has been highlighted the forecast looks plain grim for tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Afternoon all, I hope no-one suffers flooding due to the present / next couple of days. If the following link has been posted already I apologise but if not, I was reminded of how tough a time our fishermen have, and this is just getting into the parking space as it were - even when we think we have it bad on land...

Happy Christmas to the best of N-W !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20800411

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I saw that video earlier, you can just imagine the sense of relief when they got the boat through the harbour entrance.

Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Ok, couple of rather unexciting photos. Maybe of interest to those fluvially inclined.

Remnant braided stream bed from where the culvert (which carried water under the road to where the ditch continues) blocked on approach to fort SS.

Was a fair stream of water coming down it last night (sorry, no pics as was sleeping). Dug a wee six inch deep gouge along the front of the drive, but hard to see in the photo. Took 2 wheelbarrows of gravel to fill it up again though!

post-9421-0-25735900-1356102463_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-22367100-1356102479_thumb.jp

Posted

Not quite as wet as the previous two days but another grey and dark December's day. Somewhat of a short break from the rain tonight before the next system rolls in from the south west for Saturday. When are we ever going to get a dry day?

The flooding and even landslide problems should still be present tomorrow as river levels continue to rise.

ukprec.png

And the heavy and persistent rain could last into Sunday - also the rivers will reach their peak discharge after the rainfall has stopped so problems could last into Christmas Eve.

ukprec.png

Christmas Eve could be a little less wet than of late. Christmas Day is looking cooler than of late aswell, but I'm less confident about the chances of a White Christmas.

h850t850eu.png

As the GFS 12z rolls out, my thoughts for the remainder of this month is for a changeable period and on the cold side with some wintry precipitation.

Posted

Must be the meto christmas party tonight!

This Evening and Tonight:

Eastern coasts continue to see outbreaks of rain through the night. Elsewhere largely dry before strengthening winds bring occasionally heavy rain to Dumfries and Galloway laqter in nightv reachingmost parts by daybreak. Gales on coasts and hills later in night. Minimum Temperature 3 °C.

Posted

It is still raining...

Thankfully the river Eden level out at 15cm short of the record but it hasn't saved a few houses by the river, however I don't know how the river will deal with another 2 days of rain. I suspect the intensity of the rain will decide if it is record breaking flooding or a long drawn out affair at current levels.

http://www.sepa.org.uk/water/river_levels/river_level_data.aspx?sd=t&lc=14929

Scotland's weather for Saturday, in the morning heavy rain in the west and south and showers in the east and north. Through the afternoon it will be showers for most but the heavy rain moves over eastern parts. Through the evening and night heavy rain returns to the south and west while elsewhere will see showers. Severe gales will be widespread across much of Scotland for the whole day the winds will ease into the evening though but across the far Northern parts it will get stormy. Saturday morning temps 1c to 4c and Saturday night 1c to 8c.

Today here its been cloudy with showers and a bit breezy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

What a day - ended up getting a scotrail bus back from Glasgow to Perth this evening after 3 trains on the bounce were cancelled because of the landslides. A full bus is always a treat!

Away to gander at the models and see if there is anything in the near-future that is not rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I've now personally been inconvenienced by the rainfall, with a landslide on the train tracks between Ladybank and Newburgh (Newburgh is now pretty much cut off from the world since the roads in and out are flooded out too) causing complete mayhem at Haymarket with trains being cancelled, rerouted, delayed, but eventually I did get back to Ladybank. The fields were shimmering, which isn't exactly a healthy sign, since last time I was in Fife it was mostly made up of land.

Anyway, still some cold on the cards for the festive season, how much and what snowfall is likely to fall is up for grabs still but this is my main concern at the moment:

12122312_2112.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Radar suggests we've had 60 mm of rain in the last 24 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

That sounds about right.

I've got a standard 5 inch copper gauge.

0900-0900hr/19th total of 9.7mm

0900-0900hr/20th total of 34.6mm

add approx. 10-15mm since 0900hr today

total 55-60mm in past 48 hours

Edited by snow1975

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Continuing to see strong to gale force winds up here and tomorrow looks worse with Sunday even worse still. As a result there hasn't been a ferry between here and Aberdeen since Wednesday and tomorrows are likely to be cancelled as well. There is a distinct possibility we may not see another ferry until Boxing Day! (although Northlink are hoping they may be able to run one in both directions on Sunday night). As a result, the shops here are almost bare and the Scottish Govt has been asked for assistance to fly supplies up to Shetland. Tesco have taken matters into their own hands and have chartered a C-130 Hercules to fly supllies up on Saturday and Sunday. They are hoping to get two flights in on each day!

http://www.shetnews....-fly-in-freight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-20820222

Edited by Hagar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Drove back to Dundee from Embra this afternoon. Glad I changed my mind about returning through Fife to deliver the Monster in Laws Christmas pressie as have heard since the local roads were closed through flooding. Here another 28 mms today on top of yesterdays 35.

Posted

Continuing to see strong to gale force winds up here and tomorrow looks worse with Sunday even worse still. As a result there hasn't been a ferry between here and Aberdeen since Wednesday and tomorrows are likely to be cancelled as well. There is a distinct possibility we may not see another ferry until Boxing Day! (although Northlink are hoping they may be able to run one in both directions on Sunday night). As a result, the shops here are almost bare and the Scottish Govt has been asked for assistance to fly supplies up to Shetland. Tesco have taken matters into their own hands and have chartered a C-130 Hercules to fly supllies up on Saturday and Sunday. They are hoping to get two flights in on each day!

http://www.shetnews....-fly-in-freight

http://www.bbc.co.uk...etland-20820222

You sure they might get up at all this weekend! Looks very rough especially on sunday! Good luck!

Radar suggests about 5mm here, can't believe the difference between here and SS's house. Just shows what hills will do to rainfall.

Posted

Radar suggests about 5mm here, can't believe the difference between here and SS's house. Just shows what hills will do to rainfall.

I know, barely anything over Edinburgh either, was a bit wet this morning but on Thursday there was barely any rain. Just thing of how jealous you'd all be if it'd been snow!

Where do you guys get cummulative radar info from?

Netweather radar, not sure if it's available on the non-premium but I'd strongly advise you to get at least the radar subscription, radar updates every 5 minutes with precip type, station data and NMM forecast overlay.