Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Winter Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Monday looks better than on 00Z, bbc pressure charts good, shows mild sector over cornwall, snow for all, but GFS seems to be showing snow only for East

Posted

if you look at bbcs weather they play down the snow chance for monday although i never take bbc for gospel

in fact theyre most inaccuate i think

Its not there playing down snow chances its just unlike us they won't go on air saying 15cms of snow here there n everywhere until it becomes at least 70/80% certain. Atm any disruptive snowfall is only about 50/50. If todays 12s for Mon still look the same Sunday theyl be completely on board.

Posted

UKMO seems best model, looks good for midweek period, good tilted angle for low coming in from west in FI

Posted

Shame about tomorrow, could have been a nice little starter to the cold spell. Could still see a little something I suppose.

What I have enjoyed is the lovely late afternoon wintry sunshine today. Gives a lovely atmosphere and makes everything seem stunning...if chilly!

Welcome back winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I don't get excited with regards to snow until I see it on the radar these days!

Posted

Sorry to ask this which I asked the other year but what are the main things needed for snow. i.e what dew points, temps, air temps etc are needed for snow to fall

Posted

Still have hope to see some flakes tommorow, not so much from the low, but from showers heading west from the wash area

I think thats a possibility for Sunday, bbc underdo the inland precip off sea, said snow flurries for NE midlands, i am more N or NW but cant rule out a few flurries

Posted

I think thats a possibility for Sunday, bbc underdo the inland precip off sea, said snow flurries for NE midlands, i am more N or NW but cant rule out a few flurries

yes defo sunday is a posibility aswell but tomorrow is still a posibility

need to get some head and shoulders then mate :p

haha didnt realise how shower related that post was! Edited by Staffordshire

Posted

East mids weather 1-2cms of snow Monday. Hmmm thought BBC go by met even there warning states 5-10. Then U have the gfs and ukmo which both would potentially produce even more than that.

Posted

Sorry to ask this which I asked the other year but what are the main things needed for snow. i.e what dew points, temps, air temps etc are needed for snow to fall

As a rough guide upper (850mb) temps -7c, air thickness below 528 DAM, dew point 0c or below

Posted

Lots of squeaky bum moments for us in the West Midlands for the next few days.

Pesky mild sectors, lows too far south, showers dying out over hills/mountains, wrong angle of showers. We've been there many times before...

...and does it ever put us off when there's the sniff of a snow event?

Does it #$@£!

Good luck everyone...lets hope that cold air keeps west enough for us.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Would be really helpful if people could put there location in to there signature (Profile, Edit, then Signature is an option on the left)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Just looked at meto site and looks like a bit of a non event on Monday unless you live east of Leicester roughly, light snow turning to sleet or even rain in the far west of the midlands. Doesn't exactly look like 5-10cms or is that only really likely for the east?

Not sure if site has latest 12z data.

Posted

Hoping with extra height we maybe ok, I'm at 180m asl in my location for example. I guess it was as much the expected lightness of the snow that disappointed me! Still a lot can change this far out and almost certainly will.

Posted

Hoping with extra height we maybe ok, I'm at 180m asl in my location for example. I guess it was as much the expected lightness of the snow that disappointed me! Still a lot can change this far out and almost certainly will.

What is your location, and how did you do snow wise on 4th Feb 12?, looks promising in south west thread, trend to remove the warm sector, SW guys say NE of their region snow

Posted

Heath hayes about 2 miles east of Cannock. Did well last feb got around 8-10cms if I remember right, snowed all pm though got close to freezing rain near end. Melted quickly the following day though.

Wasn't sure if the forecast on meto site was based on latest data as thought GFS was model mostly putting things more borderline but meto forecast looked similiar to GFS based one for my location.

Posted

Heath hayes about 2 miles east of Cannock. Did well last feb got around 8-10cms if I remember right, snowed all pm though got close to freezing rain near end. Melted quickly the following day though.

Wasn't sure if the forecast on meto site was based on latest data as thought GFS was model mostly putting things more borderline but meto forecast looked similiar to GFS based one for my location.

Yeah so did I, this event looking similar, keep looking at Welsh thread and NW and SW England threads, their views important

Posted

Let's hope so, the snow got quite heavy that day as it was forecast to be if I remember right, hope the Monday light snow forecast changes.

Posted

What is your location, and how did you do snow wise on 4th Feb 12?, looks promising in south west thread, trend to remove the warm sector, SW guys say NE of their region snow

Wasn't the 4th of feb12 a Saturday evening/ Night event?

I remember one event last year we just could not tap into the heavy precip.

Posted

Indeed, even though we're not as far west as some people on here, it is still a worry for us. The latest updates are promising for us but there are still 2 days until the event. That's an awful long time when it comes to forecasting snow.

I would take a repeat of 4th Feb 2012 quite happily too...particularly as this time there probably won't be such a rapid warm up afterwards!

Lots of changes and updates over the weekend to come.

Edited by Gord

Posted

Wasn't the 4th of feb12 a Saturday evening/ Night event?

I remember one event last year we just could not tap into the heavy precip.

Yes it was, and was good, I think you had 2 events? one on 4th, and again on thursday 10th? missed the 10th snow

Indeed, even though we're not as far west as some people on here, it is still a worry for us. The latest updates are promising for us but there are still 2 days until the event. That's an awful long time when it comes to forecasting snow.

I would take a repeat of 4th Feb 2012 quite happily too...particularly as this time there probably won't be such a rapid warm up afterwards!

Lots of changes and updates over the weekend to come.

You were like this on 04th Feb, kept saying it would turn to rain and didnt, was tight though as I think shrewsbury had nothing

Posted

The 10th was a letdown if I remember right nothing but rain/sleet this far west.