Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Winter Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

You can never tell who's going to get the snow though until you're radar watching a few hrs before. Looks like there's enough of it about next week anyway for us all to get a dumping at some stage. When we've had a cold spell like this before, it's been nothing but dry on the forecasts, at least this time, there's lots of precipitation on the way and uppers don't even look marginal like they normally would. Saturday's bit of snow looks like it might be back on again now and no doubt Monday's may well pop up again between now and then. I'm looking forward to the next 7 days - reckon there's snow for all and I'm usually a terrible pessimist.

Posted

theres a song by the hives.... hate to say i told ya so! just tke things as they come with snow. its very hard to pinpoint accuracy and pick up embedded troughs in the easterly. just wait and see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

some of the usual glass half empty posts in here....The pitfalls of taking one model run as difinitive....Monday's event has not 'gone' at all!.....Monday is still seveal days away, who knows what's going to be happening by that time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

mondays event gone as well, no surprise there

Eh? I just looked at the model-outputs and the Fax charts, and it was very much still there...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yes, I'd noticed that our locations have been dumped - makes it rather futile for a regional thread !!

Locations missing is something to do with saving bandwith apparently, another way is to pop your location in to your signature, go to profile > edit > signature add your location & save

Back to weather, interesting times ahead, my wife will want a divorce due to me being glued to this forum :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

GFS going for 10-16cms on wednesday

Where for?

Posted

I'd take Wednesday's snowfest even with the mild washout following Thursday, Monday is looking knife edge at the moment, it really could end up being one of those cases when it hovers around 1.5c with sleet here whilst the rest of the Midlands gets heavy snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

London probably blum.gif

Lol

I'd take Wednesday's snowfest even with the mild washout following Thursday, Monday is looking knife edge at the moment, it really could end up being one of those cases when it hovers around 1.5c with sleet here whilst the rest of the Midlands gets heavy snow.

No idea why they've dumped the location info - and its really annoying just as we're heading into a snowy period where everyone is going to be looking on here to see who's reporting snow!

I've just added my location as a Signature (Profile, Edit, then Signature is an option on the left). Perhaps we should have a little campaign to encourage everyone to do it, so we don't get any conversations like this......

'Just started snowing here!'

'Where's Here??'

(Just a thought...............)

Fizz

Sorry - couldn't resist............. biggrin.png

Posted

The GFS still hasn't gave up on a Snow chance for the Midlands tomorrow, as this is now within 24 hours , we can watch what happens in real time , 850's are already Cold enough to support Snow , going by the latest NAE .

30_30.gif

Posted

It always makes me smile when I see people gettting all flustered in the models discussion thread because any cold snap doesn't last a month, I would happily take a decent snow event on Monday or wednesday even if it doesn't last any longer than a day. Hopefully Nottingham will see something snow-wise next week.

Shame the expected snow this weekend hasn't materialised for us in the East Midlands, far too North for tomorrows potential snow threat which has drifted further south by the day and too far inland for the snow showers coming off the North Sea on sunday

Edited by Ryan05

Posted

It always makes me smile when I see people gettting all flustered in the models discussion thread because any cold snap doesn't last a month, I would happily take a decent snow event on Monday or wedneday even if it doesn't last any longer than a day. Hopefully Nottingham will see something snow-wise next week.

Shame the expected snow this weekend hasn't materialised for us in the East Midlands, far too North for tomorrows potential snow threat which has drifted further south by the day and too far inland for the snow showers coming off the North Sea on sunday

Look at the Iso Bars for 6am Sunday , that looks perfect direction for Leicestershire , Not sure about Nottingham though .

13011306_1106.gif

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&fcTime=1357819260&zoom=7&lon=-0.39&lat=52.71

yellow warning out for most of the country on Monday for snow and the whole midlands is covered!

Posted

http://www.metoffice...-0.39&lat=52.71

yellow warning out for most of the country on Monday for snow and the whole midlands is covered!

Yes Monday looks 100% Spreading from the Northwest , timing not sure but later Monday evening would be current thoughts ... 5-10cm my guess.

Posted

Yes Monday looks 100% Spreading from the Northwest , timing not sure but later Monday evening would be current thoughts ... 5-10cm my guess.

would take 5-10cms any day lol especially if Wednesday event comes off!

Posted

So is Saturday well and truly over then snow wise?

Not in my opinion ... These things can always go further North than forecast , and I also think the Midlands has a strong chance of Bands of showers moving West , so it will be a radar watch thing ..

NAE is picking showers up nicely ...

13011306_1106.gif

Posted

So is Saturday well and truly over then snow wise?

Not really anywhere in the midlands could see a dusting upto a couple of CMS over the next 24hours imo. Whilst not much should stick around till it gets a top up hopefully. will make it look and feel alot more like winter :D

Edited by SnowTornado