Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

The precipitation current over N/NW wales will eventually sink southwards as the upper steering flow changes to a more northerly direction:

http://expert-images...011418_1412.gif < @6hrs

http://expert-images...011421_1412.gif < @9hrs

http://expert-images...011500_1412.gif < @12hrs

Dew Points over this period around freezing to just above:

http://expert-images...011421_1412.gif

http://expert-images...011500_1412.gif

http://expert-images...011503_1412.gif

With Upper 850hpa temperatures around -5C and sub 528DAM air over Wales i would imagine precipitation will be of at least wet snow away from the direct coast where mostly rain/hail and sleet will occur.

Wayhay RED ALERT !!JACKONE STREAMERgood.gifgood.gif forming over N Wales question is it cold enough for the white stuff.

At moment, wind direction is too much of a NW for us and most of the showers are too far east, it is set to change later and become more NNW better for us, then more Northerly later, when Pembrokeshire may do well.

Posted

Anyone getting snow from that huge streamer setting up??

I am now! Started as sleet but proper snow now, moderately heavy, settling on some surfaces. The very tip of the streamer has just reached me so if the angle stays the same then looks good, but a slight shift in wind direction will scupper me. Snowdonia must be getting pasted!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Is this streamer going to get anywhere near here? Even for a short while? I'm just north of Cardiff

Posted

I am now! Started as sleet but proper snow now, moderately heavy, settling on some surfaces. The very tip of the streamer has just reached me so if the angle stays the same then looks good, but a slight shift in wind direction will scupper me. Snowdonia must be getting pasted!

looks like ya about to get battered mate, amazing how these things can just set-up without warning!

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

This developing streamer has December 17th 2010 written all over it. Perhaps the best snowfall event I can remember (I wasn't around in '82 and don't remember much of 95/96).

Shame it isn't going to pan out like that, but still.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Need to kno up my gfs. Temp is pretty much zero so snow very possible. I'd want to get home before it arrives so I don't have to drive in any bad conditions? So basically where is it heading?

Edited by Wales123098

This developing streamer has December 17th 2010 written all over it. Perhaps the best snowfall event I can remember (I wasn't around in '82 and don't remember much of 95/96).

Shame it isn't going to pan out like that, but still.

Unfortunately not as cold as that time. Today Uppers are close to -5c, then there were closer to -9c or -10c, so more marginal this time.

Met Office warning covering much of Wales

Ice

Issued at: 1741 on Mon 14 Jan 2013

Valid from: 1900 on Mon 14 Jan 2013

Valid to: 1000 on Tue 15 Jan 2013

Showers coming southeast across the area tonight will fall as snow above about 200 m, where more than 5 cm is possible locally. More significant is the risk of icy roads as surfaces freeze behind the showers.

The public are advised to be aware of the risk of disruption to travel.

Given the current setup, a few hilly areas may well get a bit more than 5cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

I dont know but the showers over N.Wales reaching us they seem to die out as they pass over the mountains, quite amazing though, I have never seen a streamer develop like that on radar before (ive only been doing this for 2/3 years), at 6pm there were only a few showers, now theres a band of precipitation!

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

I'm just on the edge of the sreamer at the moment, heaviest percip is going to the east of here. Hay-on-wye about to get some snow I think, then heading on in Monmouth direction, but will prob take about half hour to get there.

Posted

So basically where is it heading?

It's supposed to be veering South, but due to the rotation of the low in the North Sea it seems to be heading towards Southeast Wales, although that's likely to change later in the night.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just need it to change slightly to come over this way, what time are we expecting the winds to change direction?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

I dont know but the showers over N.Wales reaching us they seem to die out as they pass over the mountains, quite amazing though, I have never seen a streamer develop like that on radar before (ive only been doing this for 2/3 years), at 6pm there were only a few showers, now theres a band of precipitation!

Looks alot like the 17th Dec 2010 streamer which dumped loads of snow here, shame it ain't cold enough and it looks like just missing here anyway, if it makes it this far.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Always expect the unexpected....

Nah I unexpect the expected!

Posted

will it come to my area , hay /, glasbury

Had some sleety/wet snow here earlier from a few heavy showers - it was starting to stick in the heavier stuff. If we get a good streamer going it might be cold enough for it to start sticking tonight, the NAE is interesting.

I know these streamers can deliver big time (Dec 2010 and it's ~10 inches the best), is it cold enough is the question. Might be!

Edited by Bobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Had some sleety/wet snow here earlier from a a few heavy showers. If we get a good streamer going it might be cold enough for it to start sticking tonight, the NAE is interesting.

I expect a covering tomorrow...or am I being silly...

Posted

Streamer really intensifying this will give the mountains well over 6cms.Streamer rotating as it mover south Cardiff looks good for some sleet wet snow.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Tony thats the chances the snows comin thurs - Fri coz my wife going in 2 hospital 2 have our baby

Too early to be sure, if ever, chance of snow though certainly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW GALES LIGHTNING

Looks alot like the 17th Dec 2010 streamer which dumped loads of snow here, shame it ain't cold enough and it looks like just missing here anyway, if it makes it this far.

YUP FAR TOO WARM FOR UScray.gif