Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Just need it to change slightly to come over this way, what time are we expecting the winds to change direction?

There is a heavy looking area of precipitation from Ammanford to Llandovery heading roughly in your direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Be interesting to find out what precip type this is at the moment? havent got a subscription sorry

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Pretty dry this evening here dodging the showers, but not cold enough for snow at 3.8c dp 2.1c, infact it's just rose 1c in 15 minutes

Edited by TonyH

Posted

will it come to my area , hay /, glasbury

Yes I think so, should be there now? If not it may just be missing you East, but as others are saying it should veer later. It's mostly missing me tbh just getting a bit of light snow on the edge, if it were just 10miles west and I'd be right in the thick of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

No one really saying anything but looks like its coming straight down this way for now and it's probably cold enough for snow right now certainly in an hour so I'm going to head home before it gets here. Would be lovely and unexpected to see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard

THat looks really heavy bang on where i live. But its only drizzling here

Looks like its heading here se wales or am i wrong ?

Posted

Be interesting to find out what precip type this is at the moment? havent got a subscription sorry

post-2595-0-85581700-1358194430_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

It will be interesting to see when this streamer turns towards us...

Posted

Yes I think so, should be there now? If not it may just be missing you East, but as others are saying it should veer later. It's mostly missing me tbh just getting a bit of light snow on the edge, if it were just 10miles west and I'd be right in the thick of it.

nothing here at all , rained most of the day ,

will keep an eye on my lamppost.

Posted

post-2595-0-85581700-1358194430_thumb.jp

Thanks Tony, interesting, a pretty good streamer to be fair with a good covering of snow probably 250m+, falling and snow accumulation at lower levels unlikely however I wouldn't rule snow falling in heavier showers later on for some. Ice a hazard in the morning for sure

It will be interesting to see when this streamer turns towards us...

Yes forecast is for the NW to veer more northerly with time but also precip chance decreases. I wouldn't rule out some snow in heavier showers over Carmarthenshire but unlikely in Pembs, temp too high here this evening, NAE shows snow threat for Carmarthenshire and welsh mountains tonight with snow more likely at around 00z.

Posted

hail and sleet here in north wales, only 5m above sea level though so seems good for higher hills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Thanks Tony, interesting, a pretty good streamer to be fair with a good covering of snow probably 250m+, falling and snow accumulation at lower levels unlikely however I wouldn't rule snow falling in heavier showers later on for some. Ice a hazard in the morning for sure

Yes forecast is for the NW to veer more northerly with time but also precip chance decreases. I wouldn't rule out some snow in heavier showers over Carmarthenshire but unlikely in Pembs, temp too high here this evening, NAE shows snow threat for Carmarthenshire and welsh mountains tonight with snow more likely at around 00z.

If the showers reach Cardiff, they may fall as snow, current temp outside is 2C, dew point 1C. Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

We will get our time on Friday :)

Posted

If the showers reach Cardiff, they may fall as snow, current temp outside is 2C, dew point 1C.

Possible in heavier bursts however im not convinced of snow. Temp is ok and will drop during the showers with evap cooling but sleet or hail a more likely outcome for your area. Good covering 250m+.

We will get our time on Friday smile.png

I really do hope so, havent seen good snow for a good few years, was poor in 2010 really compared to other areas as flow was too NW'ly. However i would stress low confidence regarding Friday and im unconvinced yet but potential is certainly there. Edited by bradythemole

Posted

By the way, the current NW flow is forecast to veer towards Northerly towards midnight so South Eastern areas hopefully the precip will reach you before it moves more to a northerly, then hopefully we may experience something wintry in my loc.

Looks like that precip will be here shortly (heads of valleys way), signs it is starting to move from a more N direction already. I bet the Beacons will be white tomorrow (already some white on them today)

Had some wet snow that tried to stick earlier so good chances of proper snow tonight I think.

Probably not much though.

Posted

That is an estimate based on GFS forecasts at time of recording, perhaps indicative at best.

True but it's the best I can do! They are poor with hail rarely able to show this even when a lot of the showers contain hail. Apart from that it seems accurate enough this evening, I am getting hail, rain and a little sleet so ties in well to me.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Now I'm in the heavy stuff... finally settling on all surfaces... really decent at the moment. Patience to all further south, especially south-east... it's on the way!

True but it's the best I can do! They are poor with hail rarely able to show this even when a lot of the showers contain hail.

Sorry. wub.png

Now I'm in the heavy stuff... finally settling on all surfaces... really decent at the moment. Patience to all further south, especially south-east... it's on the way!

This is more than a streamer, it;s a trough at least, and possibly an organized band of precipitation. Could be 5-10cm in a sweet spot if it snows all the way.

Met Office has precipitation prediction through the night.

http://www.metoffice...-3.34&lat=52.46

Edited by Jackone