Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I've just watched the RTE Weather forecast (it's probably repeated every 30mins on RTE News Now http://www.rte.ie/player) Seemed to show snow over Wales all day on Friday from 9am to 9pm. Now that would be an interesting outcome. A weather front stalls over Ireland on Wednesday too, wonder will it tip the west coast of Wales at all?

I've been watching that one, too (Wednesday). GFS had it making in-roads in to SW Wales for a couple of runs over the weekend, but it seems to have backed off that idea today, holding it just off-shore. Still time for a change though and one to watch for this part of the world!

Edited by benb

Posted

wow huge flakes of snow here in newport ,i`m up on the higher part !! fairly wet snow but slowing down so must be turning more to real snow .good.gif

Edited by mickeyflyn

Posted

Latest:

Severe

• Traffic incident
    A465
    A465 Resolven, both ways between B4434 Commercial Road and A474
    A465 Neath Port Talbot - A465 closed in both directions between Resolven Roundabout in Resolven and Neath Interchange in Skewen, because of ice.
    Updated Updated 5 minutes ago

Help

Medium

Traffic incident

A465

A465 Heads Of The Valleys Road Tredegar, both ways at A4048

A465 Blaenau Gwent - Hazardous driving conditions on A465 Heads Of The Valleys Road in Tredegar at Tredegar Roundabout, because of snow.

Posted

yep tredegar is having a right pasting. a465 heads of valleys.

Lol! Was you doubting me? ;-)

It is absolutely hammering down!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Sleet actually. Looks like its going to change to snow but I dont know.

Posted

Turning to heavy snow up here. Settling too.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

Long time lurker here. Never posted before! Anyway, it's snowing quite heavily here in the west of Newport (64m asl) Heavy rain turned to snow quite quickly but they've turned the lamposts off so I am having to do some long distance lampost watching from my back window.clapping.gif

Posted

I walked to the bin and it was raining then turned the garden lights on and there was heavy snow. Must have changed within 2 minutes

Certainly, let the dog out in the rain and she came back in in the snow! It seems to be right on the edge of rain/wet snow, we need the temp to drop just a little!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

This trough seems to have its own little warm sector, up to 4c here as it slips down from the north.

Posted

Going from heavy rain to heavy snow and back to heavy rain in Newport, right near the coast though so kinda expected sad.png

Whereabouts in Newport? Getting heavy rain in Bassaleg, with a few blobs of bigger flakes mixed in?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

Sorry just joined location (Bridgend) now on profilefool.giffool.giffool.gif

Thanks - it helps us sad-o's know if snow is heading our way if we know where everyone is. Welcome to the forum - a proper collection of psychotic snow seekers desperate for a flake or two! acute.gif

[Edit - a flake of snow as opposed to a Cadbury's Flake -although the way the weather is in my patch at the moment (rain, rain, rain) I may start on the christmas chocalate]

Edited by ourson

Posted

top of beechwood is where i am . turning to sleet now ,prob rain next ha ha !!

Edited by mickeyflyn

Posted

Whereabouts in Newport? Getting heavy rain in Bassaleg, with a few blobs of bigger flakes mixed in?

Heavy rain in lliswerry. Mixing with snow every now and then, doesn't look like we'll get anything decent like they've got in the valleys in the past hour. :(

Was also just looking at that also, the event is now upon us and the NAE has probably placed the precipitation a little to far SW on this run in comparison to the radar. Dew Points lower on this run but reports of rain further east in Wales (Cardiff, Bridgend area) point towards a more rain/sleet outcome for Swansea/Lower land carmarthenshire. Ice the main risk after that as temperatures drop:

http://expert-images...011506_1418.gif

Precipitation elsewhere seems to be changing more wintry as it passes through.

Later in the evening temps will drop and on a showery flow, I would still expect my initial thoughts of a wintry showery+ mix. The precipitation is likely to further west later in the night as the winds changes more direction .

Considering we have already had snow here I cannot we why later in the night it would be rain .

Edited by Jackone

Posted

Seems to be a more regular streamer setting up behind the trough? More showers moving into Snowdonia now, might be a little more snow to come later?

Posted

Heavy rain in lliswerry. Mixing with snow every now and then, doesn't look like we'll get anything decent like they've got in the valleys in the past hour. sad.png

top of beechwood is where i am . turning to sleet now ,prob rain next ha ha !!

Well 100% snow now in Bassaleg, pretty much sea level. Very light now though- at least we get warmer summers :/

Posted

Easing off now. The intensity was berserk! Wonder if there's any more to come.....

Posted

Whiteout in Merthyr. Very heavy snow falling. Try and check out the heads of valley traffic cams

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Just changed to heavy snow :)