Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Patchy tonight for me

Said Rain here and we had sleet at sea level and snow here.

Also said no snow for most of North Wales, contradicting other reports.

Weather radars are prone to various errors, such as anaprop, the NW accumulation feature is often wrong cf my actual measurements. Perhaps they should discontinue given these issues and poor performance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

It appears Cardiff has shield looking at the radar:P surrounded by precip. Dry here still.

Posted

raining really hard now but some sleet in the mix probably due to the cooling associated with increased intensity air temp has dropped to 1 degree dew point still bang on 0 would expect snow with these parameters

Posted

Temp rising quickly.... 1.0c here now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

Light hail / graupel here at the mo. 3.4c.

Edited by in the vale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

raining really hard now but some sleet in the mix probably due to the cooling associated with increased intensity air temp has dropped to 1 degree dew point still bang on 0 would expect snow with these parameters

Please put your location in your profile so we know where you are.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard

LLynia da rhosgad by any chance?

its stopped now.. not sticked but i can provide pics from around the area

484034_10200387849845032_469450148_n.jpg486283_10200387846484948_359637538_n.jpg1220_10200387843484873_1283171747_n.jpg72234_448888335177184_790318942_n.jpg

Posted

So the GFS has the front stalling over S Wales on Friday that would be 1978 repeat gale force winds 20 foot snow drifts ,YES pleaseclapping.gifclapping.gif

Posted

I think it's raining.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Sleety rain here now in Cardiff..

Posted
Posted

So the GFS has the front stalling over S Wales on Friday that would be 1978 repeat gale force winds 20 foot snow drifts ,YES pleaseclapping.gifclapping.gif

I've just watched the RTE Weather forecast (it's probably repeated every 30mins on RTE News Now http://www.rte.ie/player) Seemed to show snow over Wales all day on Friday from 9am to 9pm. Now that would be an interesting outcome. A weather front stalls over Ireland on Wednesday too, wonder will it tip the west coast of Wales at all?

Posted

If this rain was snow we would be covered now with snow as the rain is quite intense and eratic .spiteful.gif

Was going to say how heavy the rain is in Newport... guessing evaporative cooling is out of the question, ah well

Posted

Can confirm, snow in Cwmbran!

I walked to the bin and it was raining then turned the garden lights on and there was heavy snow. Must have changed within 2 minutes

Edited by Cwmbran Eira

Posted

I think some of you down south may see a bit of snow over the next couple of hours - up here in Mid Powys it started as sleet, then wet snow that didn't settle, then finally joyous settling snow - temp fell aournd a degree as the precip band passed.

I think the precip has almost passed over me now but this last bit is the heaviest, a moderate to heavy fall at the moment. About 2cm has accumulated, it feels like more than that has fallen but it struggled to settle more a while and even after we had a covering, it was still melting slightly. Defeated my attempts at salting the steps so heaven knows what the roads are like, I think our lane will be impassable to non 4x4s in the morning as it is a moderately steep hill and as the temps drop later in the night it will be incredibly icy as well as snowy.

BBC travel website has this:

A465

A465 Heads Of The Valleys Road Merthyr Tydfil, both ways between A4060 and A4059 Hirwaun Road

A465 Merthyr Tydfil - Hazardous driving conditions on A465 Heads Of The Valleys Road in both directions between Dowlais Roundabout and Hirwaun Roundabout, because of snow.

Updated 12 minutes ago

Traffic Incidents

A470

A470 Llwyn-Y-Gell Road Blaenau Ffestiniog, both ways between A496 Benar Road and Church Street

A470 Gwynedd - Hazardous driving conditions and slow traffic on A470 Llwyn-Y-Gell Road in both directions between the A496 Benar Road junction in Blaenau Ffestiniog and the Church Street junction in Pentre-bont, because of snow.

Updated 11 minutes ago

There is very little coverage in Mid Wales (no traffic cams etc) but I would expect the A44 to be having serious problems both West between Llangurig & Aberystwyth and East between Llandrindod & Kington, goes up to around 350-400m in both directions I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Latest NAE for midnight, bit of snow for Swansea, Carmarthenshire before it fizzles out-

http://expert-images...011500_1418.gif

Dew points and 850s ok too?-

Not very far from me, but 4.7c here, so not a chance.

Was also just looking at that also, the event is now upon us and the NAE has probably placed the precipitation a little to far SW on this run in comparison to the radar. Dew Points lower on this run but reports of rain further east in Wales (Cardiff, Bridgend area) point towards a more rain/sleet outcome for Swansea/Lower land carmarthenshire. Ice the main risk after that as temperatures drop:

http://expert-images...011506_1418.gif