Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Have a food day, all.

thanks K and you good.gif

......but I was just going to have some soup at lunchtime as it happens wink.png

The threat of snow seems to have created panic buying, if it's right what I've heard things are so scarce in Tesco’s now that people are actually buying organic vegetables....shocking!

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

Thanks for the reply, doesnt look good down here then, sod living on the coastdiablo.gif

look at the chart surrey posted. at this stage thats just an estimation but it proves that even on the coast, if that does happen it will fall as snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Good morning all. I'm in the City of London on my moped doing the Knowledge. It's bloody freezing today.... Slate grey sky's not nice. Looking forward to some of the white stuff soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

thanks K and you good.gif

......but I was just going to have some soup at lunchtime as it happens wink.png

The threat of snow seems to have created panic buying, if it's right what I've heard things are so scarce in Tesco’s now that people are actually buying organic vegetables now....shocking!

Oh they must be desperate,id prefer to starve and just drink liquid than eat organic veg

Posted

6c here on the coast diablo.gif - BBQ Coming out this afternoon - Pmsl!!

But that bloody wind is fffffreeeeezing!

Dewpoints heading in the right direction though at -2c

Posted

look at the chart surrey posted. at this stage thats just an estimation but it proves that even on the coast, if that does happen it will fall as snow

I think many will be surprised by Tuesday!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Okay here I have taken a snap shot of the NAE for 6am Monday...It wants 2 bands to move through (will fall as snow over us because we have such cold uppers, also Sunday night will see a very harsh frost so air temps and Dew points well in the region)

post-12648-0-04695500-1357986340_thumb.j

The red area is where the GFS wants the second front to slow right down...And in the model thread they have mentiod this too..With it intensifying as it moves closer to us...

Very exciting times!

err i am in the red circle?

Well where will that first snow flake be reported from? can anyone quess?

Thurs 10th trivia

mesoscale:A size scale that refers to weather systems that are smaller than synoptic-scale systems but larger than a single storm cloud.

Fri 11th trivia (new moon)

A mesoscale system generally ranges from around 50 mi.(80km)to several hundred miles.

Sat 12th weather trivia

AS ice bergs melt and break apart they relese smaller peices,called growlers or bergy bits.

I do find this quite funny as,where i am from a 'growler' is something else! lmao

Edited by Floatylight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

last night i had a quite heavy frost and not breeze,this morning when i got up frost had all gone and now breezy,how quickly it changes

Posted

So....

1st Band will give a slight covering? cm or 2?

2nd Band will be heavy with the potential for very heavy snow and it being persistant and not moving very fast?

Just want a sum up from someone???

Edited by Ben Capee McInnes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Cold and Hot inc Stormy Weather

Monday for me is going to be interesting but daunting at the same time.smile.png

Got to work in Central London on Monday to replace 2 massive water heaters in a pub. I then have to travel back to Colchester which will happen during the rush hour when the snow is expected to arrive. Its a bad enough journey on a good day.

If anyone is travelling Monday, Be safe and make sure to take provisions with you and plenty of warm clothing/Blanket and hot drink in your vehicle. I do believe that this will be a big event looking at the charts and it would be wise to be prepared.

err i am in the red circle?

Okay..The Red circle is where the front MAY stall..If this does happen.. Instead of 5-10cm of snow..You could be looking at a lot more...It also depends if it can gain strength over the midlands as the energy and front slams into our very cold uppers.

So....

2nd Band will be heavy with the potential for very heavy snow and it being persistant and not moving very fast?

Yes sounds about right..The second front could also stall...And gain strength

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The NMM doesn't see the first band being much of an affair for us at all

post-7073-0-67181100-1357988520_thumb.pn

At least not on that frame anyway, it doesn't go any further - The bands hardly looking solid though is it?

Posted

Okay..The Red circle is where the front MAY stall..If this does happen.. Instead of 5-10cm of snow..You could be looking at a lot more...It also depends if it can gain strength over the midlands as the energy and front slams into our very cold uppers.

Yes sounds about right..The second front could also stall...And gain strength

Surrey, do you think it will stall personally?

Posted

So....

you've pretty much summed it up yourself! thats about the thinking as it stands now but snowfall is extremely difficult to predict with any accuracy so exact amounts will be decided on the day. everyone should only take the precipitation/snowfall charts as a rough guide

Posted

Monday for me is going to be interesting but daunting at the same time.smile.png

Got to work in Central London on Monday to replace 2 massive water heaters in a pub. I then have to travel back to Colchester which will happen during the rush hour when the snow is expected to arrive. Its a bad enough journey on a good day.

If anyone is travelling Monday, Be safe and make sure to take provisions with you and plenty of warm clothing/Blanket and hot drink in your vehicle. I do believe that this will be a big event looking at the charts and it would be wise to be prepared.

Hi FD

Got a similar issue to you in that I have to drive to Bristol at 0400 on Monday morning and back to Colchester at 1900. Work for a renowned breakdown organisation and our whole business is on "red alert". Sub 0 degrees makes for a large increase in breakdowns and snow doesn't help us get to our customers! Our warnings that are issued every 6 hours point towards the potential for accumulations in EA / SE for Monday, Wednesday and potentially Thursday

Enjoy and drive carefully!

Posted

The NMM doesn't see the first band being much of an affair for us at all

post-7073-0-67181100-1357988520_thumb.pn

At least not on that frame anyway, it doesn't go any further - The bands hardly looking solid though is it?

Very interesting to see what looks like convective showers coming in off the North Sea in a Kent Streamer, as well as the front coming from the West.

Posted

I'm confused a lot of people saying south east will get snow but on the met office it mostly rain, will Bexhill see any fluffy white stuff? Here's hoping :-/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Hi fd, feeling your pain there! Monday will be very tricky indeed. Hope we don't get stuck, stay safe. I notice you are Kingston, I'm brentford isleworth borders, so not too far away. Brightening up here now atleast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

13011406_1206.gif

Bank..

What time is that chart for,i have kick off for my area about midday on monday?Am i correct in saying this cahrt is for 6 am monday?coz if so i am missing something,cheers sam x

Posted

Surrey, do you think it will stall personally?

it would actually be the first front that stalls as it comes up against the cold air to the east, with the second front following in behind and pushing into it. this is what could intensify the snowfall.

the Meto seem to think this is likely-

PPVJ89.png