Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Jason can you put your location in your sig too please lol I can't see where you are either.

And for any others because the profile info has been turned off to be able to keep this forum running during busy times can you put your location in your signature at the bottom of your post so we can see where the snow is falling and keep a track of how it develops.

Thanks guys

SQ1

Edited by Snow Queen one

Posted

I bet the BBC 24 are covering themselves if they mention Snow everybody will be in a panic, if they mention Rain/Sleet/Snow they can upgrade it closer the time to Snow and they will be 100 percent right, if need be they can downgrade without egg on there face

Posted

I've just looked at the 06z NAE, nothing on their either really suggests anything too marginal away from the coast. My only slight concern would be timing of the front. If it were to arrive say between 1-4pm then that is when we are at our least cold and sometimes that sort of thing can tip the balance in some set-ups, but even so unless the front decays alot more than some are expecting, its hard to imagine this not being all snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Signature donesmile.png . The wintry element to the rain was in some much heavier precipition. Its back to steady lighter cold rain again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I wish people would stop taking the BBC graphics literally. Listen to what the forecasters are saying, also note how they're showing a low resolution forecast chart for Monday, hence the sleety looking rain.

It will be snow for everywhere in our region bar extreme coasts.

Posted

I'm not sure why there is any marginality, temp profiles looking good to me, so I'm not quite sure where they are getting this 'rain' idea from...

The only place that looks marginal would be within say 10 miles from the coast.

I suspect the Met Office are simply hedging their bets right now, experience tells me in this set-up, it nearly always comes down as snow away from the coast.

With the best will in the world, ignore those forecasts, I'd be stunned if its anything other than snow for our neck of the woods.

With those uppers anyone inland will have snow, no marginality at all. Nothing to worry about, hoever anyone near the coast even with -6 uppers looks VERY marginal with wind source. If i had to wager now my money would be rain and lots of it for my location!

Posted

In fact it looks so marginal, the BBC forecast from 11.57 to 12.13 looked completely different for the Southern counties!

MetO love sitting on the fence at times like now for example. All they are doing is covering themselves. Anyone can say on national TV it could be rain, sleet or snow.

Don't worry, the SE is going to get heavy snow on Mon/Tue for starters biggrin.png

Edited by yamkin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

MetOffice warnings have been updated......

Issued at:1146 on Sat 12 Jan 2013

Valid from:0005 on Mon 14 Jan 2013

Valid to:2359 on Mon 14 Jan 2013

An area of sleet and snow will come eastwards across England during the early morning, probably becoming light and patchy later in the morning as it slows down over eastern areas. However, later in the day it is expected to intensify again, at the same time turning back to rain in places. Through the day there is the risk of 5 cm accumulations in places, and more than that above 200 m. However, there is greater than average uncertainty at this range, especially in the extent to which snow affects southern counties, and it is quite possible that the Alert will be upgraded to an amber Warning if confidence increases.

The public are advised to monitor the forecast and to be aware of the risk of disruption to travel.

Issued at:1213 on Sat 12 Jan 2013

Valid from:1100 on Tue 15 Jan 2013

Valid to:2355 on Tue 15 Jan 2013

Showery outbreaks of snow will affect parts of the east on Tuesday, in some places adding a few cm to existing accumulations. Over Scotland and northern England showers will often fall as rain near coasts. Over East Anglia and southeast England, conditions will improve markedly by afternoon. Ice will also be a hazard in these areas.

The public are advised to be aware of the risk of disruption to transport.

Posted

I think it is a sensible advisory tbh at this stage - even if we would prefer it to be better obviously. However, bearing in mind it is only Saturday, and the advisory goes up till the end of Monday, I am sure that further advisories, and indeed they mention provisonally amber warmings, will be issued. Especially I think as we get closer to Tuesday when things could get very interesting

Posted

I've just looked at the 06z NAE, nothing on their either really suggests anything too marginal away from the coast. My only slight concern would be timing of the front. If it were to arrive say between 1-4pm then that is when we are at our least cold and sometimes that sort of thing can tip the balance in some set-ups, but even so unless the front decays alot more than some are expecting, its hard to imagine this not being all snow.

Agree kold but because all the data seems to point to snow in London and se there must be a reason probably a higher res model we don't see that must mean this is far from a banker ,the sweet spot would be a stalled front over us but bitter experience has told me over 40 yrs if there's anything to stop it snowing here then it will

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

http://www.metcheck....?day=2&zipcode=

20-25cm monday afternoon through tuesday as per met warning now updated.....

Don't trust Metcheck for anything.....they base their forecasts purely on GFS raw output.

Also the owner (maybe now ex owner) was convicted of pedophilia....so I won't use the site now out of principle.

Posted

Yes BBC show rain for London south Monday.

Not good... I hope it doesn't continue to downgrade

Dexter trust me watch News24 all day and that forecast, graphics, temp will change from one thing to another. Your better off sticking to Netweather forums.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Snow for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Reading, Slough, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham & Brighton and Hove

Yellow Alert of Snow for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Norfolk, Peterborough, Southend-on-Sea, Suffolk & Thurrock

Valid from: 0005 on Mon 14 Jan 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Mon 14 Jan 2013

An area of sleet and snow will come eastwards across England during the early morning, probably becoming light and patchy later in the morning as it slows down over eastern areas. However, later in the day it is expected to intensify again, at the same time turning back to rain in places. Through the day there is the risk of 5 cm accumulations in places, and more than that above 200 m.

However, there is greater than average uncertainty at this range, especially in the extent to which snow affects southern counties, and it is quite possible that the Alert will be upgraded to an amber Warning if confidence increases.

Issued at: 1146 on Sat 12 Jan 2013

http://www.metoffice...Time=1357905660

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

temp has fallen away a little in last half hour here - now down to +2.9c

Cloudy but still dry so far though seen reports of sleet and snow nearby so here's hoping.....

Nr Charing, Kent on North Downs

Edited by damp patch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

If I don't see snow up to my office window ledge on monday I will be very upset and i'm on the first floor!

Posted

There is nothing marginal about the METO Tuesday update for sure - as fully expectedsmile.png Its going to turn very icy and slippery by then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

temp has fallen away a little in last half hour here - now down to +2.9c

Cloudy but still dry so far though seen reports of sleet and snow nearby so here's hoping.....

Hi buddy, can you also add your location to your signature? The locations have been removed from the main board to make it run easier! :-)

Jason

Posted

To be honest I am more concerned about whether the fronts will have anything noteworthy left snow wise by the time they reach us Mon afternoon/eve. Rather than if it will be rain/sleet/snow.

Marginality doesnt look much of an issue, especially away from the far South West of our region. How much the fronts decay as they cross the country, concerns me more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Oh yed they have now changed tuesday to snow as well yay