Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Looking forward to a few snow days this week so bought a months radar sub in preparation! Question tho,how do you differentiate from snow/rain ect?

use the precip type button amongst those at top. Also worth putting in your postcode if you haven't already and then zooming in on postcode zoom for a clearer pictire.

Posted

Looking forward to a few snow days this week so bought a months radar sub in preparation! Question tho,how do you differentiate from snow/rain ect?

On the right hand side of radar, click "weather type on" If on the v6 radar.

Edited by Kent Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

On the right hand side you can turn weather detection on. Snow shows as pink.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I assume being on the coast makes mondays event very marginal? Even with very cold uppers?

The GFS suggests a little snow to start with and then temperatures climbing a little later close to the coast - very probably an onshore wind for a time. If you believed the GFS it would suggest probably little or no snow close to the coast - but it is not the most reliable source to use. However, I think that the channel will create problems with dewpoints - at least for a while before the onshore wind is cut off. The NAE out to 6am certainly suggests light snow at that stage with upper temps around -8C. Its what happens after that - the next update will give better indications.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

use the precip type button amongst those at top. Also worth putting in your postcode if you haven't already and then zooming in on postcode zoom for a clearer pictire.

Ah,so the pinky stuff=snow? Darker being more heavy?

<p>

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 19 minutes ago

I think far from the snow petering out as it hits the south east, the snow will intensify as a circulation develops to the south east. I think you guys in the south east and east anglia will do best, with the east midlands and north east following close behind.

Other areas look more marginal or uncertain.

Pulled from the model thread...A lot is un-folding here in the right direction...I would go for the London area to have 10-20CM of snow by Tuesday..

Posted

Maybe a bit of sleet or few flakes in the mix at the end today as,the front undercuts and pulls in some colder uppers.Be dark by then so the lampost will be used for the first timethis winter.Cannot wait for mon afternoon,for the mainscold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

Yes, it's quite exciting when you watch it heading towards you on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Yes and the more of it the better lol. I forgot the V6 radar when I answered you. Glad you asked the question as others answered about it to remind me. Used this one last year and found it to be very informative and accurate. Like being on a knife edge watching the pink drift past or creep closer on the postcode zoom, then it hitting your area, looking out the window and BINGO :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. No snow, or rain but its bright. 3c but feels like -2, dew point -1.

Have a good day, all. :)

Edited by Keraunophile

Posted

think will have a better idea of snow amounts for Monday tommorow evening!! really hope its a full snow event here in west sussex on the southdowns! so many times been let down by the coast turning the snow to rain!

Posted

Looks like I'm in the optimum position - especially on the higher ground. Wouldn't want to be booked on a flight out of LTN this week put it that way!

Heck, we've already had snow here!

Edited by Dan the Man

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I assume being on the coast makes mondays event very marginal? Even with very cold uppers?

I don't think the sea is particularly mild for January, at the moment, so I'd say it won't make a difference, unless (possibly) you're right on the beach.

Posted

The GFS suggests a little snow to start with and then temperatures climbing a little later close to the coast - very probably an onshore wind for a time. If you believed the GFS it would suggest probably little or no snow close to the coast - but it is not the most reliable source to use. However, I think that the channel will create problems with dewpoints - at least for a while before the onshore wind is cut off. The NAE out to 6am certainly suggests light snow at that stage with upper temps around -8C. Its what happens after that - the next update will give better indications.

Thanks for the reply, doesnt look good down here then, sod living on the coastdiablo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Pretty cool that radar,can see me geeking out today. :D

If only that cold pool of air was a little more inland then might get a dusting.........question tho,odds on having any overnight/early hours tomorrow morning as i`m due to leave here for work on the bike @ 7.30am,can`t say i reallllllly want to so if there`s a bit of laying snow then as riding a bike and staying vertical doesnt happen i can get a lay in. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

well GFS snow maps have East Anglia covered in Snow from Monday 12:00 until 06:00 Tuesday, so happy days if it comes into fruition :)

Okay here I have taken a snap shot of the NAE for 6am Monday...It wants 2 bands to move through (will fall as snow over us because we have such cold uppers, also Sunday night will see a very harsh frost so air temps and Dew points well in the region)

post-12648-0-04695500-1357986340_thumb.j

The red area is where the GFS wants the second front to slow right down...And in the model thread they have mentiod this too..With it intensifying as it moves closer to us...

Very exciting times!

Posted

<p>

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 19 minutes ago

I think far from the snow petering out as it hits the south east, the snow will intensify as a circulation develops to the south east. I think you guys in the south east and east anglia will do best, with the east midlands and north east following close behind.

Other areas look more marginal or uncertain.

Pulled from the model thread...A lot is un-folding here in the right direction...I would go for the London area to have 10-20CM of snow by Tuesday..

Yea I saw that it was in response to someone posting that it was going to be a damp squib in the South East on Monday (jealousy I reckon!!)

Temp:4.2

Dewpoint 2.7

Posted

Morning all, around 5 C down on the coast in Shoreham today - hoping to see the temps starting to drop through the day. Have noticed there is currently a 2C difference in temp from the coastal temp observations between Brighton Marina (4.8C) & approx 12 miles further West at Worthing Pier (6.7C).

Concerned that temps may be marginal for Mondays event on the coast help.gif

Posted

Thanks for the reply, doesnt look good down here then, sod living on the coastdiablo.gif

il think you be throwing snow balls mate!! Remember this is coming from the north to south flow.. not the old west to east flow like last year.. this will have the the cold already in place and i can bet that it will fall as snow in your area