Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I think that the NAE will be a more reliable guide to details once it comes into the 48hr radar. Atm, it goes out till 6am Monday and shows some light snow arriving. Its through the day on Monday where we will start to get an idea of how temps/dewpoints progress and the precipitation etc. I would trust that information over the GFS charts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Good morning my lovelys! I moved from Eastbourne to Polegate (just up the road) last year and now i cannot seem to find anyones weather stations online for round this way. Anybody know of any? Have plenty for Eastbourne, but you would be suprised the temperature difference a few miles can make. Of course i know i should have my own but oh well!

Enjoy your weather watching and keep away from all that horrid arguing like on some other forums pages! ;-)

Jason

Hi Jason,

Coast is the one to ask, you must be near neighbours now good.gif

Posted

I will bl**dy spit Frisbee's if that happens!! lol

No chance 2nd band will be rain/sleet in kent, the upper will be -8, it will be snow. if its not i will eat my hat.

Posted

I have often been perplexed as to BBC Weather, they say its Met Office data, yet it seems to correlate with odd data that doesnt match Met Office or is either woefully wrong or out of date.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

3ºC here with moderate driving rain all morning. I've been out a few times and it feels raw. Not even a hint of iciness in the rain yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

posted the following in the CS/SW England thread earlier this morning, thought I'd repost it here.

Thought I'd post this to help less experiencd members to get a handle on snow forecasting and the parameters required. Created by Net Weather's former Chief Forecaster John Holmes Posted Image

Posted

No chance 2nd band will be rain/sleet in kent, the upper will be -8, it will be snow. if its not i will eat my hat.

Why do the BBC persist on it? I mean, the forecaster actually sat there and knowingly put rain graphics.. What are they seeing that we are not?

Posted

Currently 4c here but feels like -4c in the brisk breeze. cold.gif Glad I remembered to bring my spikies home from work, think I may need them next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Drifting Snow in easterly winds, biting wind chill!

the bbc forecast showed rain or sleet for monday in the london area?

Look, the BBC are a large core of information that can easily influence a mass of people. I'd say in line with Goverment backing, let's not warn people just yet, let's give them false security and keep everyone in the supermarkets, spending money on things as normal before the snow actually falls. That's the BBC for you. So vague until snow actually falls from the sky.

Posted

Hi Jason i'm just up the road from you I know there is one in Hailsham and I think there is one in Willingdon too from what I remember. Wunderground I think.

Good morning my lovelys! I moved from Eastbourne to Polegate (just up the road) last year and now i cannot seem to find anyones weather stations online for round this way. Anybody know of any? Have plenty for Eastbourne, but you would be suprised the temperature difference a few miles can make. Of course i know i should have my own but oh well!

Enjoy your weather watching and keep away from all that horrid arguing like on some other forums pages! ;-)

Jason

Edited by Jules71

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

ah my fiance is driving me mad. He is a lorry driver and out all night Mon and I am trying to tell him that its likely to get bad. His answer is basically I am talking rubbish and the app on his phone said about snow possibly wed and thurs and even thats now gone. Showed nothing for Mon and Tues. trying to tell him that I am looking at up to date info and not to believe the app but he won't have it. Says its all rubbish.. Ummmmm

Posted

Why do the BBC persist on it? I mean, the forecaster actually sat there and knowingly put rain graphics.. What are they seeing that we are not?

for a start their graphics are still at low resolution for Monday, im 90% sure we will see heavy snow in East Kent, the uppers will be way to cold for Rain the further west i.e Hampshire etc may be rain but would even doubt that. Rain will be Bristol Westwards at my guess...

Edited by Ben Capee McInnes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

the models and the forecasts, rain/sleet south of london in a warm sector

Are you able to advise which forecasts u refer to and post any model photos here so I can take a look? Thanks x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Charts for Monday from 1500 hours.

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

To me, these charts look like they mirror the fax chart posted earlier where the 528 line does a bit of a wobble in the wrong direction. Not actually worrying just yet, but I've been caught out by a mild sector before when the precipitation was coming from the NW. Watched in coming in as snow on the radar until about midnight when it promptly changed to rain as it reached me:(

Adds to the excitement I guessunsure.png

Posted

the models and the forecasts, rain/sleet south of london in a warm sector

theres no warm sector over the south east there mate-

PPVJ89.png

it might just briefly clip cornwall but that's it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Look, the BBC are a large core of information that can easily influence a mass of people. I'd say in line with Goverment backing, let's not warn people just yet, let's give them false security and keep everyone in the supermarkets, spending money on things as normal before the snow actually falls. That's the BBC for you. So vague until snow actually falls from the sky.

Yes I agree with you here, but I'd rather this coz my oh has a busy weekend of work lined up if his customers all knew what we know is going to happen he would be here now at home not earning!!!

Posted

Some folks are getting hung up on the 'ppn type' charts which ALWAYS show the fringes of the snow transiting from rain to snow.

Don't get hung up on this, it is purely a graphical representation and does not depict what is likely to happen on those fringes.

The METO weather warnings quote 'An area of rain, sleet and hill snow spreading into northwestern Scotland by early Monday is expected to turn increasingly to snow to low levels as it moves southeastwards through the day.'

The keywords are: turning increasingly to snow to low levels as it moves southeastwards.

As the sinking low moves south, the ppn will pivot around the low. Expect the SE will see more snow as the LP track favours those areas. Kent, East Sussex, Essex, Suffolk, London, Herts could all get a pasting.

ffO.

how much do you reckon west sussex coud get?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Old Fashioned Traditional Seasons

Not sure which region I am in (Alton, Hampshire) so posting in this one + southwest/central southern.

3.1C here, Moderate SE wind. A cold rain with just a hint of iciness mixed in!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Raining with huge flakes of snow mixed in :-) Im in Tenterden, Kent btw :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

The latest update for Monday by the METO indicates the uncertanity of things and how marginal it could be:

An area of sleet and snow will come eastwards across England during the early morning, probably becoming light and patchy later in the morning as it slows down over eastern areas. However, later in the day it is expected to intensify again, at the same time turning back to rain in places. Through the day there is the risk of 5 cm accumulations in places, and more than that above 200 m. However, there is greater than average uncertainty at this range, especially in the extent to which snow affects southern counties, and it is quite possible that the Alert will be upgraded to an amber Warning if confidence increases. The public are advised to monitor the forecast and to be aware of the risk of disruption to travel.