Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional - Cold Spell Discussion 13/01/13--->

Isolated Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Ground soaking wet here im looking for a mircale and tiny pathetics flakes are falling

NE MILD CAPITAL HERE

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

It looks quite quiet Nick, but as last night had shown, intensity can always increase.

Today will be the best today for convection this week, but then tomorrow and Thursday look bloody freezing with a chance of some isolated showers, and Friday/Saturday potentially a frontal+convective snowfest! (potentially!)

River Wear could easily be in danger of freezing in parts by Saturday.

My gut feeling about this weekend is that it will be a Feb 07 style event, so not much up here. Of course if we can pull in an easterly around the top then we'd be getting more of what we have today (and I think that happened in 07, but it was too marginal for anything significant)

I'd love a big frontal event here, even though North Sea would probably be heavier!

There's another band of showers forming out in the North Sea so we could be in for a great in a few hours time.

Edited by Alza

Posted

Bar 2009-10 and 2010-11, this would rank pretty highly in the 21st century scheme of things, and has plenty of life in it still.

Snowing lightly here again, -0.1c.

Your joking me? I know your young but Feb 2005 was a classic for me if upper air temps wise, the set up should of delivered more.

Snowing heavily but I seen deeper snow even during the more poorer winters, either way its snowing heavily now, its trying to deliver for one more time before the snow risk should die away later on in the day although the radar may say differently!

Posted

The ECM is amazing for us. Marginal at times, but it looks like those blizzards we had in 1947. The GFS also looks great, but it has probably overdone the lows.

Edited by Alza

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Just had a moderate snow show depositing a couple of cm's.

Posted

Snowing here now moderately.I just wonder how long this finally balanced weather pattern can last,at some point the Atlantic will break through the weak block(at least temporarily) or pressure will rise to our north east and we will truly go ino the freezer. Temperatue 0.1 c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn and Winter

Has been snowing lightly in Newton aycliffe since about 6, only light stuff mind.

Posted

Just been out and measured - there's 4cm on the lawn and about an inch of that is new, although it seems thinner on the pavements, more like 2cm. Hopefully that next line of showers will get its act together as it could be our lot.

Posted

Woke up about 20 minutes ago to a covering on grass/roofs in Boro.

Been snowing heavily ever since and is leaving a covering on pavements and roads.

My bus journey to Thornaby in an hour will be interesting.

Posted

A beautiful scene in Linthorpe this morning, the snow got really heavy around an hour ago and it's still falling light/moderate. Certainly took me by surprise, I think we could expect more over the coming hours by the looks of it

Posted

5cm on the grass here and 3-4cm over pavements, I find it hard to get excited over such laughable totals.

The trouble is that it will compact down really quickly and turn into a skating rink.

Edited by paul tall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Had a decent covering overnight sometime between 00:45 and 05:00 it started snowing again just after 09:00 and its still going now the sky looks full of it this morning whats the latest radar showing for this area?

Posted

Had a decent covering overnight sometime between 00:45 and 05:00 it started snowing again just after 09:00 and its still going now the sky looks full of it this morning whats the latest radar showing for this area?

It should pass through in half an hour or so. There are a few more showers out to sea, whether they will amount to anything is hard to tell.

Posted

We've had more snow since midnight than all yesterday here, there's about 6 inches lying.

Brighter skies moving in from the east.

It may get above freezing for a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

they seems to be some nice big showers developing out in the north sea

Posted

Looking good for snow chances at the weekend according to the model forum. Looking good for a subzero day today as well. Temp -1.8 now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Still got light snow in Darlo

still very disapointing with the totals we have managed over the last 3 days still have only a dusting which will probs melt, its just been the wrong type of snow and maybe a few degrees warmer than i had hoped for