Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional - Cold Spell Discussion 13/01/13--->

Isolated Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

How far is Thornaby off the coast? I am amazed as I am NE of Newcastle 6-7 miles off the coast and its 0.0c here???

10miles

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

How far is Thornaby off the coast? I am amazed as I am NE of Newcastle 6-7 miles off the coast and its 0.0c here???

1C here, and Teesside is lower and tends to see mild air spill in from the North Sea very easily. Living in Teesside would be like living right on the coast somewhere else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

1C here, and Teesside is lower and tends to see mild air spill in from the North Sea very easily. Living in Teesside would be like living right on the coast somewhere else.

Its a nightmare living here when snow is involved and dropped to 1.3c now at least

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

1.7º here. We have 3-4cm of snow, but it's drip, drip, drip from the trees and roofs and very wet snow underfoot. I can see it melting on the paths again.

Any chance of anymore overnight?

Posted

As I feared the North Sea is looking quite suppressed behind the first batch of showers, which is probably tied into the weather system which moved through today anyway.

Edited by Alza

Posted

I'm in Keswick again this weekend, hopefully I'll get stuck!

In battleground situations with slow moving fronts from the west crashing into cold continental air, the Lake District can see very hefty falls of snow indeed - easily over a foot, its been ages since we have experienced such an event but there have been many episodes in the past, 5/6 feb 96 being a classic.I'm not saying we are about to see a similiar event, but either way the fells should see some very heavy snow if the atlantic manages to ease its way in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

1.7º here. We have 3-4cm of snow, but it's drip, drip, drip from the trees and roofs and very wet snow underfoot. I can see it melting on the paths again.

Any chance of anymore overnight?

Small chance, BBC forecast had a few shrs by the coast.

North Sea is a beaut Alza, it'll produce when it wants ;)

Really happy with 3-4cm today, bloody cold tomorrow with a high of 1c/2c progged. Wednesday even colder, Thursday, Friday and Saturday on the battleground. Lots of snow possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder snow

2/10 so far for this current cold spell, after reading some of the forecasts over the weekend today has been a let down in my area anyway, after the heavy snow shower this morning i thought we were on for something decent, still a few weeks of winter left yet : )

Posted

In battleground situations with slow moving fronts from the west crashing into cold continental air, the Lake District can see very hefty falls of snow indeed - easily over a foot, its been ages since we have experienced such an event but there have been many episodes in the past, 5/6 feb 96 being a classic.I'm not saying we are about to see a similiar event, but either way the fells should see some very heavy snow if the atlantic manages to ease its way in.

I was over there on the 12th March 2006 - what a day!!

Posted

Is there something forming in the North Sea? looks like a band trying to form from up past Aberdeen down to Teeside.

Sky clearing up quite a bit.

Posted

Hi snow mad

have also been watching this develop on the radar to the north, interesting but seems to be drifting westwards

Edited by gazzac69

Posted

Certainly getting a bit more interesting snowmad09.

Probably worth keeping an eye out over the next hour to see if the southern end intensifies and pushes into Tyne and Wear and hopefully Teesside after the day we've had.

Posted

Is there something forming in the North Sea? looks like a band trying to form from up past Aberdeen down to Teeside.

Sky clearing up quite a bit.

Is that not part of the decaying weather front? Does not look too strong though at this moment in time.

The only problem I have with these slack flows is that the showers will take ages before they arrive onto shore, but if you do get hit by a heavy shower, it should last quite a while at least.

Posted

Any thoughts on prospects for the days to come?

Friday looks massive for the SW, but I can't see anything close to that up here TBH.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

a lot more showers starting to develop in the north sea

Posted

Starting to get much colder here, -0.4c. NMM expect the upper vectors to turn N/NE tomorrow morning so I'd be looking at what is coming out off E Scotland.

Its one of those bands where it looks like it missing our region but its developing on its southern flank so it could actually reach us after all!

Either way, I hope some PPN reaches us shortly, could do with a top up, there has been a thaw but thankfully no where near as bad as earlier.

Posted

light hail now falling, might be interesting by morning if precip to north keeps dropping south?

Posted

That band in the North Sea is forming nicely:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Really didn't see that one coming. North Sea unpredictable as ever.

Not sure it's going to make it this far south... but you Geordies should get it!

Posted

Not sure it's going to make it this far south... but you Geordies should get it!

Its building on its southern flank for sure and its heading a SSW'ly direction so you might get some if it heads far enough inland. It certainly not heading from West to East or even North East to South West so we have got a chance but it will be a very slow process for sure.

Is this a trough or something though? I hope it does head here because there is not an awful lot on the radar after it.