Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional - Cold Spell Discussion 13/01/13--->

Isolated Frost

Posted

From looking at favoured surfaces I'd guess around 8cms here in Gilesgate Moor.

Temps not rising here at all. 0.1°C, DP -0.6°C. Lowest it's been since this morning.

Edited by NickR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Blimey Nick! Not often you out-do me, just 3cm/4cm here.

1cm on the grass, nothing on everything else, and even the grass is horrible and slushy. I've been cheated!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

durham is definitely the snowiest large conurbation in the north east, much more so than boro or toon or sunderland or darlo..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Just had a trip to Blakey ridge (highest point in north york moors) good 6 - 8 inches on the ground and drifts upto a foot at lease. Crazy what difference a 30 minute drive and a little bit of altitude can do. I'll try get some pictures uploaded

That was a brave trip out. Your vehicle must be good in the snow.

Reminds me of when I was young. May dad built a snow plough for his land rover and we used to go up into the hills at nights when conditions were bad. The snow shovels were often needed! 1981/82 & 87 were good ones! Although in the 1979 new year blizzard you did not need to be on the hills. The drifts were level with the hedges down our road in Hepscott (150ft ASL). If that happened again the country would be crippled.

Edited by Freezing-Point

Posted

Only fair that Nick gets some more than us, Durham always fares worse than Tyne and Wear in recent years.

This is true. Don't get me wrong - it's only 8cms on the "best" surfaces... the day saw us get 4-5cms and another 3 from this lot just now.

Posted

If today's system had been 30 miles further west we'd have been pasted - look at what Scarborough got in the Yorkshire thread!

That was a brave trip out. Your vehicle must be good in the snow.

Reminds me of when I was young. May dad built a snow plough for his land rover and we used to go up into the hills at nights when conditions were bad. The snow shovels were often needed! 1981/82 & 87 were good ones!

Brave or stupid haha it's actually terrible in the snow as its rear wheel drive. purchased some snow socks for the tyres and it was just like driving on tarmac again. would of had 0 chance without them. i'll get the pictures from my phone soon..

Edited by chrismac60

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

hovering around 1.6c here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Sleety stuff falling here i give up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Light snow again here

Temp 1.1°C

Dew Point -1.5°C

looks a bit watery to me

Posted

Awoke to light snowfall which deposited a cm or two at most on top of the 3cm we saw yesterday, however, the snow was still of a very wet nature, but still it was a proper wintry scene.

The rest of the day stayed cold and mostly cloudy with low cloud shrouding the hills. Had we seen some sunshine then alot of the snow probably would have dissapeared today, alas there is a good cover on many surfaces still and with a particularly cold night ahead this isn't going to go anywhere fast, indeed a number of snow days will now be reported.

My thoughts are for later this week - could be some very heavy snow over Cumbria by the weekend...

Posted

Awoke to light snowfall which deposited a cm or two at most on top of the 3cm we saw yesterday, however, the snow was still of a very wet nature, but still it was a proper wintry scene.

The rest of the day stayed cold and mostly cloudy with low cloud shrouding the hills. Had we seen some sunshine then alot of the snow probably would have dissapeared today, alas there is a good cover on many surfaces still and with a particularly cold night ahead this isn't going to go anywhere fast, indeed a number of snow days will now be reported.

My thoughts are for later this week - could be some very heavy snow over Cumbria by the weekend...

I'm in Keswick again this weekend, hopefully I'll get stuck!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

hovering around 1.6c here

How far is Thornaby off the coast? I am amazed as I am NE of Newcastle 6-7 miles off the coast and its 0.0c here???