Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Thread - January 13th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Finally, finally, finally the micro-snow has turned to macro-snow - I can actually see it good.gif

This is only a few flakes at the moment but I am confident that this is the start of something special. I remember the blizzard of 1982 in W Wales and that also started slowly. I do feel that we are heading into an epic period of weather, perhaps historical. The models are arguing but they all agree on one thing: it will be cold.

As the week goes on we will get more snow, the flow may be slack or strong but it will be from the east. The jet is going South and any lows look like undercutting for the foreseeable future. This is all in advance of the full effects of the the first SSW with the effects of the new Canadian warming coming down the line.

It won't be snowy and freezing every day but for the next few weeks I think mild periods will be short and not that mild but the cold will always be there and there will be severe periods as slider lows pass underneath the Scandi block bringing easterly winds and snow.

Bring it on! We have waited so long for this (30 years in my case!). I feel we are due for something special and I believe we are now about to experience it. acute.gif

Edited by Muffelchen

Posted

Very light snow here in Grimsby...its a start and looking forward to tomorrows fun and games.good.gif

Anyone else's raintoday playing up ppn keep coming and going.

small grains in Louth.

Yep, its happening to mine too. Annoying isn't it.

Posted

Anyone else's raintoday playing up ppn keep coming and going.

small grains in Louth.

yep thats why ive been using the netweather radar,although the other one is working again now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Finally, finally, finally the micro-snow has turned to macro-snow - I can actually see it good.gif

This is only a few flakes at the moment but I am confident that this is the start of something special. I remember the blizzard of 1982 in W Wales and that also started slowly. I do feel that we are heading into an epic period of weather, perhaps historical. The models are arguing but they all agree on one thing: it will be cold.

As the week goes on we will get more snow, the flow may be slack or strong but it will be from the east. The jet is going South and any lows look like undercutting for the foreseeable future. This is all in advance of the full effects of the the first SSW with the effects of the new Canadian warming coming down the line.

It won't be snowy and freezing every day but for the next few weeks I think mild periods will be short and not that mild but the cold will always be there and there will be severe periods as slider lows pass underneath the Scandi block bringing easterly winds and snow.

Bring it on! We have waited so long for this (30 years in my case!). I feel we are due for something special and I believe we are now about to experience it. acute.gif

RAMP ALERT

I hope you're right though!

Posted

N York Moors look prime spot for heaviest snow tomorrow. I'll be expecting reports of some hefty falls this time tomorrow. East Yorkshire in general looks well placed for some decent snow and probably Lincolnshire as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Yup as stated above the snow is increasing in scunny. Bed for me as I'm on 5-1 shift which could become rather fun!

Posted

Before i go to bed i can finally say that i can report snow falling in my area (Between Sleaford and Boston) but the main even appears to be from tomorrow lunchtime into the evening i cant wait..good.gif

LO

Posted

Things have pepped up a little, band to the n/w has intensified a little over the last 15mins or so. Tmorrow looking ok as well, looks like we could be in the sweeter spot so to speak.

I won't be able to get online at all tomorrow morning to see how things are developing which is frustrating,but i'll be home by midday so i'll have a lot of posts to catch up on lol.Some bigger flakes nowbiggrin.png

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Its mostly a steady fall of small flakes here, but the sky keeps turning bright orange and it throws it down lasting a few mins then back to steady away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold blasts, snowy Summer hot sultry thunderstorms

Well after a long wait im pleased to announce the birth of our first snow shower phew,,,,,

Posted

RAMP ALERT

I hope you're right though!

My first ever RAMP on NetWeather but I really do have a feeling this time and nothing I read on this, the model thread or the strat thread is altering my view. In fact, the slow start is kinda re-inforcing my view as really long cold spells always seem to start this way.

Whether I am right or not, it looks like a week, possibly ten days, at the very least and things are still being put back by the models.

Here's hoping.......

My first ever RAMP on NetWeather but I really do have a feeling this time and nothing I read on this, the model thread or the strat thread is altering my view. In fact, the slow start is kinda re-inforcing my view as really long cold spells always seem to start this way.

Whether I am right or not, it looks like a week, possibly ten days, at the very least and things are still being put back by the models.

Here's hoping.......

Completely agree with you! Imagine if 2010 was the starter and the main course is yet too come....... good.gif

Edited by Rob Harbord

Posted

A few flakes blowing around the lampost! Not laying. Not cold enough. Temp steady for hours and stuck at +0.7C at the moment with Dew point of +0.5C. I really hope it cools down a bit otherwise tomorrow could be a disaster!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Coming down heavier now and sticking on all surfaces. Gonna be a good covering by morning I reckon, perfect for tomorrow's heavier band as it will all settle straight away. 0.4c

Posted

Completely agree with you! Imagine if 2010 was the starter and the main course is yet too come....... good.gif

In that case I would have to say 'Feed me, feed me now!' I have been snow-starved for years!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's been snowing for a while in Sandhutton, a light dusting on most surfaces but nothing major. Hoping that the pool of >-5C 850hPa air doesn't make too much of a difference tomorrow as with the current temperature of 1C, anything heavy would provide significant accumulations.

Posted

Snow now very light in Rotherham. Slight dusting on grass and cars. Those people thinking this is all a precursor to 2010, then I don't think there is much truth to that other than hope casting. I say that, hoping to be proved wrong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Its snowing properly now, nice medium sized flakes, heavy, 0.0C and looking good, don't even need the lamp post to see it. Shame its bed time but am up at 5am.

Good luck tomorrow everybody, fingers crossed we all get snowed in.cold.gif

Posted

Snowing nicely in Strensall, laying on my car but not much else.

Raintoday radar seems to be broken. It's all over the place.

Posted

Just had a glance at the model thread. Seems very downbeat on there. Is it true that the cold spell has been downgraded . Or is it just a south downgrade. Hope us in the north and East get a good dumping.

Edited by allenar

Posted
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border

Just had a glance at the model thread. Seems very downbeat on there. Is it true that the cold spell has been downgraded . Or is it just a south downgrade. Hope us in the north and East get a good dumping.

Seems to be day 6- 8 we are heading back to the warmer Atlantic, seems we have a short burst of snow tomorrow (2-5 cm) followed by some sunny cold days up to Friday and then maybe temps edging up slowly through the weekend , yes the absence of posters in the model thread tells you the story ..!

Posted

Seems to be day 6- 8 we are heading back to the warmer Atlantic, seems we have a short burst of snow tomorrow (2-5 cm) followed by some sunny cold days up to Friday and then maybe temps edging up slowly through the weekend , yes the absence of posters in the model thread tells you the story ..!

Sunday night is always quiet in the Model Thread!!

Lets just enjoy the cold and snow we will get surprises !!

Edited by Love Snow